• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinite Pulp Magazine thread

72 posts in this topic

The first Shadow Pulp, April 1931, does not have the Shadow on the cover either. It's VG value in Ultimate Guide to the Pulps is $5,000.00

That value, all though probably a little low, is still a bargain IMHO. It is as important a book in the Pulp world as a Detective Comics # 27 or Captain America # 1 is in the Comic world. What do you think? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

Nice Pulp ArAich!

I really enjoy the early issues of Amazing Stories, lots of Frank Paul covers. cloud9.gif

Amazing Stories, from April 1926 to August 1933, are Bed-Sheet format, similar to square bound magazines. They are cut clean with the pages and don't have the over-hang associated with Pulp format. The Amazing Stories from October 1933 on are Pulp size issues and do have the over-hang, makes them a little more diffucult to find in high grade. Just FYI for anyone interested.

Buck Rogers makes his first apperance in the August 1928 issue, vol. 3 # 5. The cover is not Buck Rogers but is a scene from the Skylark of space by E.E. Smith (his first published work). First Buck Rogers cover apperance is March 1929, vol.3 # 12. thumbsup2.gif

I purchased about 15 western pulps at a small flea market in my town over the summer. Most are in pretty decent condition with the most common flaw being chipping to the front and back covers on the right edge. These are from about 1946-1948.

605095-IMGP1829.JPG

605095-IMGP1829.JPG.47d427d995b497b230be8810cff52d17.JPG

I purchased about 15 western pulps at a small flea market in my town over the summer. Most are in pretty decent condition with the most common flaw being chipping to the front and back covers on the right edge. These are from about 1946-1948.

605095-IMGP1829.JPG

Nice find Paull. It's the over-hang, typical for pulps to have the small edge-tears because of it. Still a nice haul! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks... You're right... all the books have an overhang with a bit of chipping. The pages are in excellent condition otherwise. I'm no pulp expert, but I couldn't pass them up when I saw this stack of books. I can't remember what I paid for them... it might have been $20 for everything.

Dayton is about 45 minutes away from me, and they have hosted the big Pulp Con the last couple years. Sadly, I have never made it, and I think this year they have moved the location. frustrated.gif

My friend told me though that it is just entirely different from a comic con. "Old dudes" sitting around smoking, dealers who get up and leave tables unattended for long periods of time without a care in the world, lots of library-type silence in the air, and a very cool attitude about letting potential buyers take a pulp out and leaf through it. Sounds great to me! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Anybody out there been to this? Are the rumors based in reality? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

The first Shadow Pulp, April 1931, does not have the Shadow on the cover either. It's VG value in Ultimate Guide to the Pulps is $5,000.00

That value, all though probably a little low, is still a bargain IMHO. It is as important a book in the Pulp world as a Detective Comics # 27 or Captain America # 1 is in the Comic world. What do you think? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

That's interesting that you think that a non-cover first appearance does not affect the potential value. I was always under the impression that it does. Look at some of the secondary comic characters and their first appearances. Personally, I find a comic like Iron Fist 14 more appealing than something like Iron Man 55 or Jimmy Olsen 134. I don't think I am alone in feeling that way. Then again maybe I am just weird insane.gif I would be curious to hear if other people care or if they think it figures into value in a meaningful way. BTW, how much is that pulp guide and where can I get one? (off to check Amazon...)

I do think 5 K for the first Shadow is cheap.....dirt cheap in fact.

The thing I worry about is getting hooked into buying pulps I have enough stupid collecting habits already, thanks!

I felt the same way, but once you go thru all the GA listings on Ebay and can't find anything to bid on, the temptation to browse thru pulp listings becomes irresistable, and before you know it, you have a box full of them (especially when you realize that many have covers that you would have to have if they showed up on a pre-code comic).

That's interesting that you think that a non-cover first appearance does not affect the potential value. I was always under the impression that it does. Look at some of the secondary comic characters and their first appearances. Personally, I find a comic like Iron Fist 14 more appealing than something like Iron Man 55 or Jimmy Olsen 134. I don't think I am alone in feeling that way. Then again maybe I am just weird insane.gif I would be curious to hear if other people care or if they think it figures into value in a meaningful way. BTW, how much is that pulp guide and where can I get one? (off to check Amazon...)

I do think 5 K for the first Shadow is cheap.....dirt cheap in fact.

I guess the best way to put it is that you are buying a first edition. Cover appearance is less impostant. It's NICE, but not necassary. The Amazing Stories I mentioned previously with the first apperance of Buck Rogers is another example (even though many believe the cover to be Buck, when in fact it is for the Skylark of Space story). VG value is $400.00 without Buck cover apperance. It would be nicer, for sure, if it had a cover apperance, but not necassary. That make sense? 893blahblah.gif

Dayton is about 45 minutes away from me, and they have hosted the big Pulp Con the last couple years. Sadly, I have never made it, and I think this year they have moved the location. frustrated.gif

My friend told me though that it is just entirely different from a comic con. "Old dudes" sitting around smoking, dealers who get up and leave tables unattended for long periods of time without a care in the world, lots of library-type silence in the air, and a very cool attitude about letting potential buyers take a pulp out and leaf through it. Sounds great to me! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Anybody out there been to this? Are the rumors based in reality? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yep, it's more of a social event. Much more laid back than comic cons. Not like the last hour on the last day of a comic con where guys are just approaching boths, announcing what they're looking for, and rushing to the next both if you don't have it. 27_laughing.gifmakepoint.gifscrewy.gif