• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 55!!!

84 posts in this topic

Avengers #58 is a book that should get a lot more play here. It's not only the origin of Vision, it's also the origin of Ultron. There's a multi-page sequence showing his creation by Hank Pym and their subsequent battle.

It doesn't hurt that the issue is arguably the most iconic in Avengers history, what with the "Even an Android Can Cry" full page pin-up of Vision weeping as he joins the Avengers and the epilogue of Ultron's severed robot head being played with by a child with quotes from Percy Shelley's Ozymandius as the captions. Maybe the key issue in Avengers history, setting up the family dynamics between Pym, Ultron and Vision that would be a centerpiece of the franchise for the next two decades.

The powers that be announced that Avengers 2 will be an origin story, so some version of Avengers #58 will be on the big screen.

Avengers #58:

PymUltron.jpg

vision7.jpg

tumblr_komtilRAoY1qz9b3ko1_500.jpg

YUH!!!

My non Ped 9.6 is unpressed. I'd be lying if i said i wasnt curious what someone would be willing to pay looking at these other sales if/when i put it up hm

Still time to get in on the August Clink auction...

YUH!!!

My non Ped 9.6 is unpressed. I'd be lying if i said i wasnt curious what someone would be willing to pay looking at these other sales if/when i put it up hm

Do i have time to get a CVA sticker slapped on it??? hm

lol

YUH!!!

i wouldn't wait that long :D

YUH!!!

He may have time to press it to a 9.4 by then. :baiting:

:jokealert:

YUH!!!

Thats what i'm thinking! hm

YUH!!!

He may have time to press it to a 9.4 by then. :baiting:

:jokealert:

:idea:

:frustrated::cry::cry: :cry:

Listed June 2nd

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6744207&fpart=15

Avengers 55 VG $35

1st Full Ultron

1 inch spine split top corner

listed April 14th

Avengers 55 VG+ $45 SOLD (good snag tigers comics)

SOLD

1st Full Ultron - Hot book

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6607482&fpart=2

Blast from the past 2005 style

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=45374&Number=840560#Post840560

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=44734&Number=829700#Post829700

I remember buying this collection too, and these were some really nice higher-ish copies. I can't cry too much I did get them for a song. Still, this was back when it was tough to giveaway Avengers, they really were equivalent to Daredevil, maybe a touch better.

Avengers

1 Fair $100.00

7 F+ $60.00

10 F- $40.00

54 VF+ $25.00

55 VFNM $30.00

58 VF+ $39.00

59 NM $35.00

61 NM- $25.00

62 NM $35.00

63 NM $35.00

64 NM- $25.00

65 VFNM $20.00

66 NM $35.00

67 VF $9.00

68 NM- $25.00

Is avengers #57 the second appearance of ultron as well?

Technically it's his third appearance, but I guess it's his second full appearance.

Ultron is in Avengers #54 and he's in quite a bit of it. He's just in disguise as Crimson Cowl for most of the issue. We only see his robot face once and his true name isn't mentioned.

I have a hard time calling Avengers #57 his second appearance though. Just reading the stories, the dude is totally in #54.

Key issue either way. The only safe thing to do is to get #54, 55, 57 and 58. They are all key Ultron stories.

Maybe it is a little but I was ten when I first read this story as reprinted in Marvel Super Action and I still remember thinking it was a very cool way to end an action-packed story about the Avengers tackling a terrifying, psychotic genocidal robot. This particular run of issues by Roy Thomas and John Buscema is probably as good as any run in volume 1. Seek it out and you won't be disappointed.

D. Henry

The Henry Farm -- we grow ideas!

I read #57 when it came out, but hadn't seen it for a long time. Actually I never saw 54 or 55, and didn't read 58 till many years later, so the Avengers became somewhat confusing around that time.

@Juswuh: Why do you say it’s pretentious?

Thomas was tossing out an idea after the other in these Avengers issue, of course they were confusing! :D

Just think that I saw for the first time Avengers #59 in german (in a remaindered binded book) and tried to make sense of the story with all that I knew of Avengers and Hank Pym. I was totally fascinated and it became the first Avengers book I started to seek even if I don’t collect the title.

I can see why it may come across as pretentious, though I find it fairly effective. But Roy did have pretensions of making comic books into a serious literary art form, which I can't fault him for. This is one of his earliest examples of trying to make a comic story be more literary. Later on, I think this sort of thing got more tired as he used it more and other, lesser talents imitated it. This issue definitely still works for me, though. (thumbs u