• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my SDCC review

264 posts in this topic

[font:Book Antiqua]DC has only 2 real commodities...

Jim Lee & Geoff Johns.

They want to play hard to get?

be my guest...

The only time that they were not second to Marvel

was the first year of the 52 ...

(And I am DC fan).[/font]

:whatev:

No offense but I think that is a very narrow view.

The real issue is that the unprofessional actions of one or more facilitator has manifested a negative impression on CGC SS which impacts ALL of us who go to shows to collect signatures and submit books. If the situation is not addressed than the landscape for obtaining SS will change drastically.

You say, so what, its just DC? I say that it could just as easily have been Marvel, Image or any and all of the comic book producers. I would suggest that Kirkman is already in the anti CGC SS (he only allowed CGC to collect books for signing) camp and I would further suggest that this can become a on going trend.

So the question is how do we mitigate and reverse this

[font:Book Antiqua]Let me explain to you how it works...

CGC, Marvel, DC, Facilator/ Witness, EBay, (Any) Comic Convention, Artist, Writer,

Clink, Heritage, The guy next door...

ALL OF THEM LIKE MONEY.

Fan boy want that book signed by “X”

therefore he is going to give “X” amount of money to get the book done...

Easy as 2+2=4[/font]

meh

No. It's not that simple. Just ask John Byrne, Don Rosa, or Barry Windsor Smith. CGC is still a relatively small slice of the autograph pie. The majority of collectors don't understand how CGC SS works or what it means but most creators have some perception of the program. Unfortunately, the growing perception is that CGC SS is making money from them without proper compensation or credit. Given comics' history of big companies taking advantage of creators and the lack of credit given to the pioneers in their own time, why would any modern creator want to allow even the chance of perceived mistreatment?

They see a raw signed copy of their book bring $10 and a 9.8 CGC SS copy of that same book fetch $55 on eBay. What they likely don't know about is the effort that goes into finding a 9.8 candidate and keeping it in that condition through the signing process, Then there is the added cost of the submission and postage to and from CGC. Assuming the best possible conditions, that $55 book now turns less of a profit for the seller than the $10 counterpart but in their mind, about $50 of that is pure profit and it is money made from their efforts.

Don't waste your time responding to semi-literate trolls, Steve.

I have got to start reading all of the new posts rather than just posting in order....

:facepalm:

Or else you'll waste your time responding to semi-literate trolls, Doug.

So did we find out who was the hubbub maker in SD?

hm

I will check my sources to see if I can get you an answer.

The first stop is Chinatown to get my tea leaves read. Mr. Chin's is famous for never being wrong.

Trans-The tea leaves are in Mr. Litch's post, you just have to have your obvious glasses on when you read it.

Fingh--Nick will be with me.

So did we find out who was the hubbub maker in SD?

Reading is fundamental

Hi everyone,

Yes, DC Comics no longer will allow people with an exhibitor badge line up and get books signed by creators that are signing at the DC booth.

Yes, DWC was the straw that broke the back,

Sean, Anthony and Chris, I was referring to Dre's post about having to apologize for someone's actions. I did read Paul's post re DWC and the following ones.

Sean, Anthony and Chris, I was referring to Dre's post about having to apologize for someone's actions. I did read Paul's post re DWC and the following ones.

I have no idea what Dre was referring to. It sounds like something he personally witnessed.

[font:Book Antiqua]DC has only 2 real commodities...

Jim Lee & Geoff Johns.

They want to play hard to get?

be my guest...

The only time that they were not second to Marvel

was the first year of the 52 ...

(And I am DC fan).[/font]

:whatev:

No offense but I think that is a very narrow view.

The real issue is that the unprofessional actions of one or more facilitator has manifested a negative impression on CGC SS which impacts ALL of us who go to shows to collect signatures and submit books. If the situation is not addressed than the landscape for obtaining SS will change drastically.

You say, so what, its just DC? I say that it could just as easily have been Marvel, Image or any and all of the comic book producers. I would suggest that Kirkman is already in the anti CGC SS (he only allowed CGC to collect books for signing) camp and I would further suggest that this can become a on going trend.

So the question is how do we mitigate and reverse this

[font:Book Antiqua]Let me explain to you how it works...

CGC, Marvel, DC, Facilator/ Witness, EBay, (Any) Comic Convention, Artist, Writer,

Clink, Heritage, The guy next door...

ALL OF THEM LIKE MONEY.

Fan boy want that book signed by “X”

therefore he is going to give “X” amount of money to get the book done...

Easy as 2+2=4[/font]

meh

No. It's not that simple. Just ask John Byrne, Don Rosa, or Barry Windsor Smith. CGC is still a relatively small slice of the autograph pie. The majority of collectors don't understand how CGC SS works or what it means but most creators have some perception of the program. Unfortunately, the growing perception is that CGC SS is making money from them without proper compensation or credit. Given comics' history of big companies taking advantage of creators and the lack of credit given to the pioneers in their own time, why would any modern creator want to allow even the chance of perceived mistreatment?

They see a raw signed copy of their book bring $10 and a 9.8 CGC SS copy of that same book fetch $55 on eBay. What they likely don't know about is the effort that goes into finding a 9.8 candidate and keeping it in that condition through the signing process, Then there is the added cost of the submission and postage to and from CGC. Assuming the best possible conditions, that $55 book now turns less of a profit for the seller than the $10 counterpart but in their mind, about $50 of that is pure profit and it is money made from their efforts.

then explain it to them that way.....i have

just bc you know it and others do doesn't mean they understand it, but give them an example and they will get it (most of the time)

asked an artist if he's going to con x (was at a local con) he explained that if he didn't make x amt of money at a con it wasn't worth his time going and after some talking we got onto about CGC and about how some don't like it bc of the money the sigs go for.....i explained that just like him not makeing x bc of expenses a person/dealer looking to flip also has thoes same expenses and just bc the sig my sell for $50-100 doesn't mean it's all profit as there is hotel, tix to con, food, gas/airplane tix, CGC price so the 50-100 just shrunk to a profit of maybe $10-30

in the end it's CGC responsablity to edcutate the creators......for thoes that don't understand CGC SS maybe explain it to them as a CoA which it bascily is, they understand CoA's bc of DF or wizard and such

this is how i explain it if their confused about the SS part, honestly they don't really care about the #.# part (imo anyways unless they collect sersiously) or explain why your going to get it graded, hell i've told them flat out i have no intention of selling it but if money problems come up well the comics are the 1st to go, i enjoy the hobby but it's an investment for down the road

and as far as explaining it to them i have told them my part and if they have additionl questions to ask CGC themselves as i'm not a rep for the company and that this was my PoV on it

maybe CGC should also explain to them the reasons they may get people coming up with stacks for CGC, that yes there are some coming to flip the book and others are bringing the books for sometimes 10+ people who can't make it to a con that said creator is appearing at

the window bags can be explained too, some do it bc they don't want to book damaged bc for comics the condition affects the price, just like toys and other collectibles, but some think the sig would look best in that space, or that without that bag there have been meny creators that will sign the book whereever and ruin the art and how would they feel to have something they bought to be written on in a space that unflatering to the peice

i hate to say it this way but CGC needs to edcuate the creators and explain it like their talking to children.......hell look at any warrining label or instructions it';s done everyday by companys to their costumers

don't assume they know all this

in the end it's CGC responsablity to edcutate the creators......for thoes that don't understand CGC SS maybe explain it to them as a CoA which it bascily is, they understand CoA's bc of DF or wizard and such

this is how i explain it if their confused about the SS part, honestly they don't really care about the #.# part (imo anyways unless they collect sersiously) or explain why your going to get it graded, hell i've told them flat out i have no intention of selling it but if money problems come up well the comics are the 1st to go, i enjoy the hobby but it's an investment for down the road

and as far as explaining it to them i have told them my part and if they have additionl questions to ask CGC themselves as i'm not a rep for the company and that this was my PoV on it

maybe CGC should also explain to them the reasons they may get people coming up with stacks for CGC, that yes there are some coming to flip the book and others are bringing the books for sometimes 10+ people who can't make it to a con that said creator is appearing at

the window bags can be explained too, some do it bc they don't want to book damaged bc for comics the condition affects the price, just like toys and other collectibles, but some think the sig would look best in that space, or that without that bag there have been meny creators that will sign the book whereever and ruin the art and how would they feel to have something they bought to be written on in a space that unflatering to the peice

i hate to say it this way but CGC needs to edcuate the creators and explain it like their talking to children.......hell look at any warrining label or instructions it';s done everyday by companys to their costumers

don't assume they know all this

I agree...education is key.

It's not on the company as much as the people out there "representing" the company every day in 100's of ways.

anyone want to post the facts about the incident? or do we prefer to risk it happening again due to ignorance?