• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my SDCC review

264 posts in this topic

[font:Book Antiqua]DC has only 2 real commodities...

Jim Lee & Geoff Johns.

They want to play hard to get?

be my guest...

The only time that they were not second to Marvel

was the first year of the 52 ...

(And I am DC fan).[/font]

:whatev:

they aight, with Tony Daniel, Greg Capullo, Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire, and David Finch. And to be fair, most people like/respect Jim Lee more than anyone at Marvel, so that's something.

And their problem is not with the comics so much as it is the Marvel movies getting MASSIVE exposure for their comics.

[font:Book Antiqua]With the exception of Finch and Lemire

the rest are flavor of the month...

And still Lemire has an Indi/underground taste...

And Finch is now more of an Independent/Soon to be creator /owner...[/font]

2c

Jim Lee & Geoff Johns.

be my guest...

No offense but I think that is a very narrow view.

The real issue is that the unprofessional actions of one or more facilitator has manifested a negative impression on CGC SS which impacts ALL of us who go to shows to collect signatures and submit books. If the situation is not addressed than the landscape for obtaining SS will change drastically.

You say, so what, its just DC? I say that it could just as easily have been Marvel, Image or any and all of the comic book producers. I would suggest that Kirkman is already in the anti CGC SS (he only allowed CGC to collect books for signing) camp and I would further suggest that this can become a on going trend.

So the question is how do we mitigate and reverse this

Jim Lee & Geoff Johns.

be my guest...

The real issue is that the unprofessional actions of one or more facilitator has manifested a negative impression on CGC SS which impacts ALL of us who go to shows to collect signatures and submit books. If the situation is not addressed than the landscape for obtaining SS will change drastically.

You say, so what, its just DC? I say that it could just as easily have been Marvel, Image or any and all of the comic book producers. I would suggest that Kirkman is already in the anti CGC SS (he only allowed CGC to collect books for signing) camp and I would further suggest that this can become a on going trend.

[font:Book Antiqua]Let me explain to you how it works...

CGC, Marvel, DC, Facilator/ Witness, EBay, (Any) Comic Convention, Artist, Writer,

Clink, Heritage, The guy next door...

ALL OF THEM LIKE MONEY.

Fan boy want that book signed by “X”

therefore he is going to give “X” amount of money to get the book done...

Easy as 2+2=4[/font]

meh

Like others I am very new to all of this. Just this past May I hit my one year Milestone with CGC. Anyways I've been to a total of 4 Con's and truly loved my experience yet witnessed many of these horrendous same acts at the same time. For me I like to whittle down what I bring to two maybe three per Artist and on the occasion I would like more I simply split the stack in half or in 3rds and simply revisit them on each day.

For me I enjoy reading up on some creators and attempting to have even a 1 minute conversation with them to let them know how much I appreciate there work or to simply pick there brain. I figure this is one of the reasons they attend not simply to sign everything.

My two examples - Larry Hamma wrote the first comic I ever read. Wolverine #33. So to my 2nd Con ever I noticed he was on the list of attendees and decided to get that same Cheetoed stained, Coke sticky, comic signed and personalized from him. The big thing for me was I wanted him to know that I truly appreciate his work and how his writing pulled me into this amazing world that I didn't originally think I fit into. I think he as a writer appreciated that and was evident in the amount of time he wanted to talk to me even with a line. Had to ask to excuse myself just so he could get back to signing.

2nd example - At the Dallas Fan Days Con George Perez was signing and sketching for almost everyone. So his line was taking a lot longer to get through than everyone else. One guy had a roller box filled with comics decided to yell "Come on, some of us have to work" mind you we were positioned behind a curtain at that time for the line and those closer to him did the shushing thing but it still stuck out in my mind that some were solely there for nothing more than profit and not for the enjoyment of the artists, writers, creators.

I'm not trying to knock facilitator's as this is not my intention. I have no other way to get most of the things I have without you all. What I'm saying is that it just appeared that, that one gentleman had lost his tact or bearing and its those like him that are taking away from the enjoyment of attending these types of events.

It only takes the action of one or two people to totally put off an artist to signatures.

A few years ago at a show I was at a table getting books signed. The guy in front of me had a nice stack that the artist agreed to sign if he made a donation to a charity h was involved with. The artist started signing and the guy went through the motion of putting money into the jar without putting anything in it. His actions did not go unnoticed. The artists was very professional and signed every book.

When it was my turn he looked at me and said "guys like that will ruin it for everyone else". I gave him way more than he asked for due to the first guy being a diamond maker.

I also heard from one other artist who personalized a book for someone who had he personalization covered over in order to sell the book on eBay. He was not a happy camper when I came to his table with a book I wanted signed for my 8 year old daughter. When I said he could make it out to "Victoria" he was happy to sign it and even drew a little doodle. If I just wanted a book signed he respectfully declined explaining what he saw on eBay and muttering about the "darn CGC".

Some people just don't get it and will never get it.

It's a catch 22.

You bag and board a book so that a) its protected and b) the creator knows where to sign but then he thinks you're flipping the book

the only way they think you arent flipping the book is if you get it personalized (which I have plenty of, mostly my trades/HCs which live in my library for ever)

but if you get it personalized and have to sell down the road for some financial hardship reason the book is worth FAR less than the non-personalized one.

there is no winning.

Jim Lee & Geoff Johns.

be my guest...

[font:Book Antiqua]Let me explain to you how it works...

CGC, Marvel, DC, Facilator/ Witness, EBay, (Any) Comic Convention, Artist, Writer,

Clink, Heritage, The guy next door...

ALL OF THEM LIKE MONEY.

Fan boy want that book signed by “X”

therefore he is going to give “X” amount of money to get the book done...

Easy as 2+2=4[/font]

meh

Let me explain how it works to you, again... I'll even throw in some math because you seem to like that or it just might be you favorite way to be condescending..

Some ill behaved louts who are facilitators are causing creators to turn away from CGC SS. Currently, they are willing to set up private signing and accept money for sigs.. If at some point a creator decides that it is not worth the "Aggravation" than good bye to SS done by that creator. Everyone is hurt by the actions of a very few, Signature Series fans, facilitators, CGC etc..

2-2=0