• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my SDCC review

264 posts in this topic

Wow, what a thread...some of you who know me know I am never on the boards. Someone let me know about this thread and I had to check it out. I'm at work right now so I can't sit and really put together my thoughts like I want because I'm swamped but I do want to say one thing.

We are all ambassadors in this: to ourselves, to CGC, to the comic business as a whole, etc The whole thought of it only taking one bad apple really does matter here. It doesn't matter if you are CGC, a dealer, a facilitator, a cosplayer, a comic fan, etc...ANYONE can cause a rift in this ecosystem. It's no different than someone being upset at Disney because of another guest's behavior. Disney had nothing to do with it but its their reputation that's tarnished.

I'll probably touch on some of these points later (or maybe I won't because I have a life outside of trolling the boards). Regardless....as many people here have said, professionalism matters in every situation. Being an has no part in the comic book busines, the comic book hobby or life in general.

More later....maybe. For now I'm contect circling the water for a while.

Torrey Q in the house!

When did he change his board name?

Wow, what a thread...some of you who know me know I am never on the boards. Someone let me know about this thread and I had to check it out. I'm at work right now so I can't sit and really put together my thoughts like I want because I'm swamped but I do want to say one thing.

We are all ambassadors in this: to ourselves, to CGC, to the comic business as a whole, etc The whole thought of it only taking one bad apple really does matter here. It doesn't matter if you are CGC, a dealer, a facilitator, a cosplayer, a comic fan, etc...ANYONE can cause a rift in this ecosystem. It's no different than someone being upset at Disney because of another guest's behavior. Disney had nothing to do with it but its their reputation that's tarnished.

I'll probably touch on some of these points later (or maybe I won't because I have a life outside of trolling the boards). Regardless....as many people here have said, professionalism matters in every situation. Being an has no part in the comic book busines, the comic book hobby or life in general.

More later....maybe. For now I'm contect circling the water for a while.

Torrey Q in the house!

When did he change his board name?

Long time ago

Being polite, respectful and sometimes generous goes a long way. Just thanking the creators (or celebrities) for coming to the show and for the opportunity to get stuff signed can really help and should be a pretty common courtesy.

I also think those Hero Initiative buckets that you now see on more of the table's are the best thing to happen to the ss program in a long time. Creators really appreciate the donation and are usually happy to work out a special request or to sign stacks of books for a nice donation to the charity. It can be a great tool to get something you really want done and for the creator to have a great attitude about doing it. I've recently had some nice interactions and gotten some great stuff from Fiona Staples, Kevin Eastman and John Romita Jr. All by donating to the Hero Initiative or their respective charities but I try to be generous with the donation and donate a little more than expected.

My wife told me a nice story about Romita Jr. signing at DWC this year at SDCC. John was signing for a small donation to his family charity and a guy walked up with a HUGE stack of books (maybe a boardie?). Anyway, he put the books down and began to count out money to donate. He got all the way up to like $500. John was shocked and said it really wasn't necessary but the guy said that the books were for his customers and they each paid to get them done. John was very happy and literally in tears. He signed all the books and even through in some special stuff to show his appreciation. In the end I think it was the small donation per book(probably $10 or less) that left the customer and John very happy instead of having a potentially more negative experience.

But that said, I have seen lately that the window bag has become a red flag to some people and this year I found myself removing some of the books from the bags to avoid any possible issues.

It also seems like more and more people are really wanting to personalize everything. I understand what they are trying to do but I don't want my name on a sketch or autograph, even if it is one I love and for my personal collection. To me it doesn't make it cooler or more special it just detracts from the artwork or whatever it may be. I'd love an original Michael Godard painting for my personal collection but I wouldn't love my name scribbled across the top of it.

What other situations? Let's hear them.

Well he did mention 1,000 books at NYCC by the 1st 3 people for Kirkman. It was actually 6 people and all boardies. A 5 or 10 book limit was quickly requested by Skybound which the boardies ignored. :facepalm:

What other situations? Let's hear them.

Well he did mention 1,000 books at NYCC by the 1st 3 people for Kirkman. It was actually 6 people and all boardies. A 5 or 10 book limit was quickly requested by Skybound which the boardies ignored. :facepalm:

That's just sad. A few years ago I saw Bruce Timm at a show in Chicago. I had about six or eight books I wanted to have him sign. While waiting in line it was announced that signatures would be limited to one per person. I was a little disappointed but picked out the one I wanted signed the most and was content with that. I've never been able to understand why some people have to try to circumvent the system to get more or just flat out ignore the rules as though they don't apply to them in situations like this. If a facilitator, any facilitator, finds themselves in a situation where they're unable to procure all the signatures they've taken submissions for then rather than behave in a manner like what's been described they need to either:

1) Take on fewer submissions.

2) Behave appropriately so as to not tarnish the perceived image of the SS program followed by phone calls/emails to their customers after the convention explaining that the the signatures were not acquired and why.

Any reasonable person is going to understand that a misjudgement was made in the number of books the facilitator took submissions for. They can then:

1) Have the facilitator return the books to them along with a refund.

2) Have the facilitator hold onto them for the next signing opportunity.

The actions described are embarrassing and inappropriate and I am hoping that it doesn't happen again.

2c

What is so hard?

If there is a book limit and you cannot get your books done without causing a scene.......make a private signing!.......OFFER MONEY!!

Or pool forces with CGC and other facilitators. "Hey there is a one book limit for so and so.....can we set something up with him Mike Balent?"

If you cannot make a private signing or offer money------Then you dont get the books done.

What is so hard?

If there is a book limit and you cannot get your books done without causing a scene.......make a private signing!.......OFFER MONEY!!

Or pool forces with CGC and other facilitators. "Hey there is a one book limit for so and so.....can we set something up with him Mike Balent?"

If you cannot make a private signing or offer money------Then you dont get the books done.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. ^^

What is so hard?

Yes, I will not condone this behavior towards giving a bad name to the CGC program.

But it is not always about money or greed.

But what if this all of the sudden limit causes the Facilitator to not get the 200 book limit for the witness? How would this be handled?

What is so hard?

One of the best ways to get your numbers is to contact Artists prior to the show and see if you can set something up OR to coincide it with OPPs. At MegaCon this year I had 100 books done and ready to be picked up before the show doors opened.

What is so hard?

One of the best ways to get your numbers is to contact Artists prior to the show and see if you can set something up OR to coincide it with OPPs. At MegaCon this year I had 100 books done and ready to be picked up before the show doors opened.

What is so hard?

Yes, I will not condone this behavior towards giving a bad name to the CGC program.

But what if this all of the sudden limit causes the Facilitator to not get the 200 book limit for the witness? How would this be handled?

good question homie. that's the risk you run. I mean the same could happen with a top artist/celeb calling sick and canceling an appearance at the last second. There are million other industries/jobs/hobbies to have or be in, they chose CGC SS, and they all have associated risk.

So as the old saying goes... sucks bro.

What is so hard?

What is so hard?

good question homie. that's the risk you run. I mean the same could happen with a top artist/celeb calling sick and canceling an appearance at the last second. There are million other industries/jobs/hobbies to have or be in, they chose CGC SS, and they all have associated risk.

So as the old saying goes... sucks bro.

then for the yellow labels you cracked in front of the witness to add sigs to, who pays to have those regraded? the person who sent them to the Facilitator? just curious.