• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my SDCC review

264 posts in this topic

anyone want to post the facts about the incident? or do we prefer to risk it happening again due to ignorance?

Far be it from me to shut down a good lynching, but does it really matter? Someone was rude to someone else. If people are not rude, act professionally and treat others with respect, there is no risk of it happening again.

anyone want to post the facts about the incident? or do we prefer to risk it happening again due to ignorance?

Far be it from me to shut down a good lynching, but does it really matter? Someone was rude to someone else. If people are not rude, act professionally and treat others with respect, there is no risk of it happening again.

Take out the names. The fact that something happened means that some people need to hear what not do.

Is it making a hero donation with huge bags of nickels? is it just swearing a lot while in line? Is it accidentally making a pass at the artists wife? Is it wearing a 'free Aaron Hernandez hat?' Is it just getting in line over and over due to a five book limit? Did they ask to have it made out 'for eBay' ?

Some people and many comic people don't always know they're being rude. I honestly think there is benefit to spelling it out .

Take out the names. The fact that something happened means that some people need to hear what not do.

Is it making a hero donation with huge bags of nickels? is it just swearing a lot while in line? Is it accidentally making a pass at the artists wife? Is it wearing a 'free Aaron Hernandez hat?' Is it just getting in line over and over due to a five book limit? Did they ask to have it made out 'for eBay' ?

Some people and many comic people don't always know they're being rude. I honestly think there is benefit to spelling it out .

First off, this post was funny and relevant, which is always appreciated, by me.

Secondly, it clearly was some kind of outburst. "Do you know who i am?" "Do you know how much money I put in your pocket?" or the like

I found myself apologizing not once, but twice for the behavior of one certain individual on Wednesday at SDCC. The first right after the outburst, and the second as I was walking out the door Sunday evening. I felt the behavior reflected so poorly on me due my association as a CGC Dealer. I was so embarrassed I never returned to the publisher's booth all weekend and missed out on signings for myself. I was told not to worry, that I was still good, but I was embarrassed still & pissed to be put in that position.

turret's syndrome maybe? (sorry about spelling)

Maybe the facilitator forgot who he was after being on his feet for 10 hrs in a crazy crowded room full of Dr. Who, temporary amnesia.

Maybe the facilitator wanted to know if the artist recognized him in his pokemon squirtle costume.

Maybe he was just trying to reenact the RIck James sketch from Chapelle show and the artist didn't get the joke. "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

But seriously, I've been at cons (and other places) where its clear that some people really need to be told specifically how not to act (and why). The fact that someone in this community acted a certain way means that it could happen again, unless they are told specifically not to do it.

For example, I might ask the stranger in line next to me to have a book signed for me because of a signing limit. Someone else might see me do this and think "dam i'm gonna ask the next 20 people in line to do this" and they won't see the difference. And then when they get in trouble, they'll say 'well that guy did the exact same thing', pointing at me, and he will mean it.

hell maybe it is the same, what do I know? Either way, I think its better if we identify specific frowned upon behaviour

The real issue is that the unprofessional actions of one or more facilitator has manifested a negative impression on CGC SS which impacts ALL of us who go to shows to collect signatures and submit books. If the situation is not addressed than the landscape for obtaining SS will change drastically.

You say, so what, its just DC? I say that it could just as easily have been Marvel, Image or any and all of the comic book producers. I would suggest that Kirkman is already in the anti CGC SS (he only allowed CGC to collect books for signing) camp and I would further suggest that this can become a on going trend.

So the question is how do we mitigate and reverse this

There are about 10-20 of these posts that I would love to respond to, and eventually I probably will... There are OTHER situations with other facilitators, non-DWC, that are destroying our community as well.

To address one point raised here... Kirkman is not anti-CGC, he is happy to sign books and very appreciative of everyone who brings him books. However, when three different people bring a combined ONE THOUSAND books for him to sign during one public signing at NYCC last year, that was the straw that broke the camels' back. Many people in our community have the behavior that creators' "jobs" at conventions is to sit and sign stacks of books for them for free at their beck and call, and it's not that simple. By ANY STRETCH of the imagination.

The arrangement that was put into place at SDCC for the Kirkman lines had one goal - take the big stacks out of the lines, so Kirkman can actually spend time with the fans who are more about the experience of meeting him and not getting their collection signed. The one similar connection between many of the stacks in his lines was CGC SS, and that was the gateway to brokering that deal, as Kirkman and Skybound worked with CGC and several facilitators to come up with a system to benefit everybody. While there are flaws with that system, it beats the alternative by a stretch. It is too bad that fans who like to SS their own books have to go through that system, but there is nothing stopping you from getting a signing ticket, getting a non-comic book signed and getting to take your picture with him, and then having your comic book signed and graded without you having to bother.

I've been going to SDCC since 1992, and I can honestly state that the DC booth has almost ALWAYS been one of the worst places to get signatures from creators. In my opinion, they should stop doing signings there anyway because it does no one a service. They are secretive with their schedule, they won't let people line up for wristbands and are instead told to "mill around" until the random drop occurs, the lines are constantly capped because of blocking aisles, and it's just very unfriendly, and NONE of that has to do with CGC. Surprise, surprise, but people have been getting their comics signed long before CGC started. People have been attempting to make money on their signed comics long before CGC started.

The trend for our future is simply to build relationships with creators where they benefit too and we are moving in that direction. I've explained the window bag concept and the CGC SS concept and it can have very positive results. I think what we "do" by running around and standing in lines has always been one of the most unprofessional and childish things around. As Danny Glover would say, "I'm getting too old for this sh..." I'm much happier having arrangements in place so everyone gets the job accomplished and we can all move on.

I have more to say, but not enough time, so the rest will have to come later.

Frankly, the way some facilitators act here on the boards towards their potential customers leaves me no doubt that they could act up under pressure to deliver at cons.

I am also not surprised at the efforts to get around book signing limits. Although I have to ask, do facilitators actually give books to strangers in line to have their books signed? And do these strangers actually agree to do it? :facepalm: I mean its one thing to help out a friend or fellow facilitator, but....

Wow, what a thread...some of you who know me know I am never on the boards. Someone let me know about this thread and I had to check it out. I'm at work right now so I can't sit and really put together my thoughts like I want because I'm swamped but I do want to say one thing.

We are all ambassadors in this: to ourselves, to CGC, to the comic business as a whole, etc The whole thought of it only taking one bad apple really does matter here. It doesn't matter if you are CGC, a dealer, a facilitator, a cosplayer, a comic fan, etc...ANYONE can cause a rift in this ecosystem. It's no different than someone being upset at Disney because of another guest's behavior. Disney had nothing to do with it but its their reputation that's tarnished.

I'll probably touch on some of these points later (or maybe I won't because I have a life outside of trolling the boards). Regardless....as many people here have said, professionalism matters in every situation. Being an has no part in the comic book busines, the comic book hobby or life in general.

More later....maybe. For now I'm contect circling the water for a while.

Wow, what a thread...some of you who know me know I am never on the boards. Someone let me know about this thread and I had to check it out. I'm at work right now so I can't sit and really put together my thoughts like I want because I'm swamped but I do want to say one thing.

We are all ambassadors in this: to ourselves, to CGC, to the comic business as a whole, etc The whole thought of it only taking one bad apple really does matter here. It doesn't matter if you are CGC, a dealer, a facilitator, a cosplayer, a comic fan, etc...ANYONE can cause a rift in this ecosystem. It's no different than someone being upset at Disney because of another guest's behavior. Disney had nothing to do with it but its their reputation that's tarnished.

I'll probably touch on some of these points later (or maybe I won't because I have a life outside of trolling the boards). Regardless....as many people here have said, professionalism matters in every situation. Being an has no part in the comic book busines, the comic book hobby or life in general.

More later....maybe. For now I'm contect circling the water for a while.

Torrey Q in the house!

The arrangement that was put into place at SDCC for the Kirkman lines had one goal - take the big stacks out of the lines, so Kirkman can actually spend time with the fans who are more about the experience of meeting him and not getting their collection signed. The one similar connection between many of the stacks in his lines was CGC SS, and that was the gateway to brokering that deal, as Kirkman and Skybound worked with CGC and several facilitators to come up with a system to benefit everybody. While there are flaws with that system, it beats the alternative by a stretch. It is too bad that fans who like to SS their own books have to go through that system, but there is nothing stopping you from getting a signing ticket, getting a non-comic book signed and getting to take your picture with him, and then having your comic book signed and graded without you having to bother.

This was my first time getting my own CGC SS at a con and really enjoyed it. I know there's some creators who this can't be done with so instead I carry a different item with me or buy something from theme. For Kirkman, I carried around a couple hard back Thief of Thieves books in hopes of meeting him and getting a signature. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to.

I've been going to SDCC since 1992, and I can honestly state that the DC booth has almost ALWAYS been one of the worst places to get signatures from creators. In my opinion, they should stop doing signings there anyway because it does no one a service. They are secretive with their schedule, they won't let people line up for wristbands and are instead told to "mill around" until the random drop occurs, the lines are constantly capped because of blocking aisles, and it's just very unfriendly, and NONE of that has to do with CGC. Surprise, surprise, but people have been getting their comics signed long before CGC started. People have been attempting to make money on their signed comics long before CGC started.

Not sure how it might have bee in the past but that wasn't the case this year with DC. I know something similar happened at WonderCon where they were giving out wristbands for Jim Lee in the afternoon. They didn't want a line forming so people just started to "mill around" waiting for them to start. This was definitely a pain. SDCC was a whole different story. Every day had about 3-4 signings that required wristbands. They handed out all the wristbands in the mornings and limited it to one wristband per person. They were not difficult to obtain if you put time into getting there early. As for their schedule, they didn't pass out flyers like Marvel, but instead relied on their app to keep people informed of their schedule. This allowed for minor changes through out the con. I'd say they were really well organized, making sure everyone who had a wristband actually got stuff signed and if there was time, letting people without wristbands in the line but capping the line at a certain point. There were definitely some of the DC staff who were super unfriendly but there were others who were also very nice and helpful.