• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This stuff is surely fake ?

13 posts in this topic

Looking for Mignola art this morning, i came across this seller.Mignola, Terry Gilliam, Trey Parker, Seth MacFarlane,Johnny Depp, Robert Kirkman,Mike Judge, Mort Walker, Matt Groening Bill Hanna, Friz Freling and many more. . . .

All on the same size paper . .

Surely these can't be genuine ?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/celebart1/m.html?item=251310256621&pt=UK_art_drawings_GL&hash=item3a834231ed&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Not going to say it's fake because I honestly have no way of verifying that statement. That said, each image looks like it was drawn by the SAME artist...even using the same paper for many of them. The strokes of pen look almost identical.

It's possible that a pseudo-skilled artist knocked these out with faked signatures and is pushing them off as a variety of different artists. Just my .02

I'd at least be a bit wary before purchasing if it were me.

Not going to say it's fake because I honestly have no way of verifying that statement. That said, each image looks like it was drawn by the SAME artist...even using the same paper for many of them. The strokes of pen look almost identical.

It's possible that a pseudo-skilled artist knocked these out with faked signatures and is pushing them off as a variety of different artists. Just my .02

I'd at least be a bit wary before purchasing if it were me.

I just flat out wouldn't consider buying one, since you'd always have that doubt. At least they're better fakes than the ones at Baum.

A few of the Groening's look real, but those to be honest may be the easiest to fake. It could've just been a hell of a collection, but the fact that he's UK based-- I mean, I wouldn't even know where he would be able to get half of these. Unless there was a grail I was looking for i'd be very hesitant.

At least they're better fakes than the ones at Baum.

Ha! The UK version of Gallery on Baum was the first thing that popped in my mind as I was looking thru the images.

That's the problem with these kinds of sketches, even the best quickie--is it's virtually impossible to prove or disprove their authenticity. Mignola's done tons of quickie sketches over a long period of time, and I betcha he would look at some and not be able to tell if he did them or not.

To me their like autographs--fun to get for yourself, but I'd never buy one on the net.

Really hard to tell... if you doubt it don't bother. I usually have ticket stubs for events, photos, flyers or something from the event / con to go with random sketches. I would at least remember the places where I got them no problem and as a seller would be missing out on an opportunity if I didn't give that information in the listing. Strikes me as a bit odd that they say they will send you a letter of where it was obtained after you purchase.

Personally I would be more convinced if they didn't list so many that are all simple enough to copy. Would avoid.

Only thing you could do would be to ask them where several of them were obtained and add seller to favourites then check back over the next few months. They list enough stuff.

EDIT Yowzers... and a really old thread already *rubs eyes*

Now this one is actually interesting to have dug up:

Active listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLF-HARRIS-HAND-SIGNED-DRAWN-SKETCH-/251391102158?pt=UK_art_drawings_GL&hash=item3a8813ccce

Completed listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLF-HARRIS-HAND-DRAWN-SIGNED-SKETCH-LOA-/251361491241?pt=UK_art_drawings_GL&hash=item3a864ff929

OUCH

Would be gutted to be the buyer here.... not exactly a regular current Gaiman sketch and I don't think he would have put "a sandman" next to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEIL-GAIMAN-HAND-DRAWN-SIGNED-SKETCH-LOA-/251361486183?pt=UK_art_drawings_GL&hash=item3a864fe567