• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overlooked books

27 posts in this topic

This confuses me a little.

Here's two books;

Spider-Woman #37

Spider-Woman #38

Both have X-Men, Juggernaut, Black Tom Cassidy appearances, But #37 also has Nick Fury and is the first appearance of Siryn.

There are 111 graded #38, there's even a 9.9. For #37 there's only 37 on the census.

Both have cool Leialoha covers, I wonder why #38 became the more desirable of the two.

38 has the X-Men team cover. In the 80's when X-Mania was in full effect, books like this, IF 15, Dazzler 38, the Rom books etc. all sold for tons more than the surrounding issues (well, except for IF 14 of course)

Marvel inserted the X-Men and Spider-Man in other tiles to boost sales of slow titles. That didn't really mean they would be important books, just an attempt to attract crossover fans.

38 has the X-Men team cover. In the 80's when X-Mania was in full effect, books like this, IF 15, Dazzler 38, the Rom books etc. all sold for tons more than the surrounding issues (well, except for IF 14 of course)

Good point, I guess having Angel, Storm and Colossus on the cover would draw in X-collectors to a title they don't normally purchase.

And I guess the first appearance of Siryn isn't that important, since she's a third or fourth tier character.

Plus her powers and costume are exactly the same as her dad. lol

And I guess the first appearance of Siryn isn't that important, since she's a third or fourth tier character.

Plus her powers and costume are exactly the same as her dad. lol

You weren't shocked when her second cousin Black Tom dropped that bombshell :o

And Daredevil 196, which may have been the first time Wolverine guest starred without the team.

Meanwhile, Nightcrawler got to be in Crystar 6! Buy 'em now.

I don't know if either of these count as they are not particularly valuable but they might be considered of interest.

Star Wars: Dark Empire 4 - Many years had passed since the Marvel Comics series ended and Dark Horse got the license for the property. One of the major things that they did with the property and with the blessing of Lucasfilm was to resurrect Boba Fett. This was the official 'return'

GI Joe 21, 26 and 27 - While we know Joe 21 as the silent issue, it was also to set up the idea that a rivalry existed between the black suited commando and the white suited ninja. In a mere six months, Larry Hama provided the back story that really made GI Joe a hot property. If anyone remembers think of the original Storm Shadow v Snake Eyes stories as on par with the Spider-man "who is the Hobgoblin?"

MTU 53 (1st Byrne X-Men) was one of the bigger books at that time.

And Daredevil 196, which may have been the first time Wolverine guest starred without the team.

Meanwhile, Nightcrawler got to be in Crystar 6! Buy 'em now.

MTU 117 was before DD 196, but I dunno if it was first overall

Pretty sure MTU 117 was first overall.

Is ASM 161/162 with Nightcrawler the first new X-Men solo appearance in another title?

So that's October 1976. What are our other options between August 1975 and then?

Is ASM 161/162 with Nightcrawler the first new X-Men solo appearance in another title?

Wouldn't Hulk181 be the first Wolvie without the Xmen?

Wouldn't Hulk181 be the first Wolvie without the Xmen?

Checkmate.

I actually think it's contrary to the idea of one of the X-Men guest-starring, since he wasn't in the team. I was thinking more of guest-starring for the purpose of drawing attention to the book in some way.

I think a book like Marvel Team-Up is a little iffy, since there's technically a guest-star every issue and many of the guests are there to get them more exposure not the other way around.

The two Spider Woman issues are actually more than a marketing ploy to sell more Marvel books. Claremont was writing the title by then, and he (as he usually did) manages to intertwine Jessica’s life with the featured characters.

I sold the two issues for about a dollar apiece just because I wished to focus on more essential ones – I kept only the Gruenwald’s Spider-Woman books and the few issues where she confronts Chthon and more about her relationship with Viper is revealed, which are awesome, but I wasn’t generally crazy about how Claremont handled Jessica. :)

I think a book like Marvel Team-Up is a little iffy, since there's technically a guest-star every issue and many of the guests are there to get them more exposure not the other way around.

Nonetheless good writers managed more than often to make a great job on them. But again, as I said it takes good writers and the two titles very likely got canceled precisely because of the motivations you exposed.