• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soooo Thanos now Ultron who's next on the undervalued villains list?

194 posts in this topic

In general when I think of rankings I just consider the very best (worst) that a villain can put forward.

I'm the same way. So for me, Joker would be #1, and someone like Thanos or Darkseid would be in the running for #2 due to the level of damage and destruction they bring along with any story they participate in.

Although that reasoning would also rank Galactus very high, since he is a world-eater without a care for the indigenous beings associated with his Big Mac meals.

Mongul ranks even higher than Thanos (41). I guess because of his destruction of Coast City.

Plus this:

Arguably, Mongul's closest thing to true victory came in Alan Moore's "For the Man Who Has Everything". There, he decided to end Kal-El's life on ironically his birthday, using a plant-like device to put Superman in a permanent dream state - one where the victim's vision of their ideal desires traps them in a prison of illusion. His plan would have worked, were it not for Batman & Robin and Wonder Woman's efforts. But the fact that he even tried it, let alone came this close to succeeding, is why the DCU should always fear him… even ranking at 41.

A very cool comic story.

Anyone ever stop and compare how many villains there are vs how many heroes in either universe? Surely the villains far outnumber the heroes. Just makes me wonder why when a major hero like Batman or Spider-Man is struggling against a villain the rest of them just don't swoop in and mop the floor with our hero.

"Joker has got Batman on the ropes, too bad today is laundry day or I could go help him squash The Bat"-everyone in Batman's Rogues Gallery with CNN and Twitter

Anyone ever stop and compare how many villains there are vs how many heroes in either universe? Surely the villains far outnumber the heroes. Just makes me wonder why when a major hero like Batman or Spider-Man is struggling against a villain the rest of them just don't swoop in and mop the floor with our hero.

"Joker has got Batman on the ropes, too bad today is laundry day or I could go help him squash The Bat"-everyone in Batman's Rogues Gallery with CNN and Twitter

KnightFall is the closest thing I can think of, when Bane released all the Batman villains from Arkham and Bats needed to get them back. There are some villain team-ups like the Sinister Six, but I guess in many cases the villains are incarcerated.

KnightFall is the closest thing I can think of, when Bane released all the Batman villains from Arkham and Bats needed to get them back. There are some villain team-ups like the Sinister Six, but I guess in many cases the villains are incarcerated.

I bet ego probably factors into it...now that I've been thinking about it Secret Wars 1 sort of addressed this...all the villains start out together and first thing Ultron does is try to whack them all including Galactus.

It does bring up an interesting question. Is Magneto #1 because he's been around so long, or is he #1 because he's the ultimate villain?

#1 of what? :D

Magneto was always a great character, but I truly loved the reformed Magneto from the mid-1980s storylines. Very mature idea, and implications, and I loved how he related to Storm as a teacher, despite the age difference.

Same goes for Morbius, and for Carol Danvers, or even the Sandman which, being either free from their powers or reformed, required a lot of skill to be written.

Then came the brilliant "idea" of X-Force, Rob Liefeld and the "infant prodige" authors. :(

OK, comic book artists' stardom is definitely not for me… :P

Man I want to like Thanos as a villain but most of the story arcs with him in are so lame. :boo:

I don't know. I started going back through my Silver Surfer Vol. 3 34-45 issues, and that seems like a really great period for Thanos. But maybe it was nostalgia.

I loved reading those when they came out. So full of promise, but then it was so long before anything came of it. Mind you, Infinity Gauntlet was worth the wait. All the "Infinity" series that followed it ran the whole thing deep into the ground.

Thanos' role in the Annihilation series was incredible though. Totally mandatory read for anyone interested in the upcoming movies.

Agreed. Early 90's Thanos was the period that hooked me. HIs old stuff is classic and I like the scope of it, but his character seemed to really shine during Infinity Gauntlet. The only thing after that that I thought was remotely interested with the short-lived Thanos series. Really great 12 issues where we got to see him evolve a bit more. It was a shame it got cancelled.

6995867870_77a3c2276a_z.jpg

With the guardians movie coming up will we get a chance to see Lobo in film? I always thought he was a great character with plenty of potential.

With the guardians movie coming up will we get a chance to see Lobo in film? I always thought he was a great character with plenty of potential.

Do you mean because we get a GotG film, maybe DC will make a Lobo film? That would be pretty awesome. I'd be up for an unauthorized biopic of The Main Man.

Do you mean because we get a GotG film, maybe DC will make a Lobo film? That would be pretty awesome. I'd be up for an unauthorized biopic of The Main Man.

When Dwayne Johnson was onboard to do this movie, I saw light at the end of the tunnel with this becoming a reality. Now, I am not so sure.