• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, now with Copper being HOT, is it okay to overpay for a Copper collection?

98 posts in this topic

I'll say this:

I'm 33 years old. For the last six years I buy every copy of Xmen 221 266 282, NM 87 98, X Factor 6, ASM 300, Darkhawk 1 that I see at a LCS or wherever. I'm compelled to buy these books every single time I see them. Within the last year I've added Booster Gold 1 to the list.

Copper is worthwhile

Booster Gold 1 is on my "list" and I think it's a tougher issue to find then people realize.

With all this crazy talk, it is important to note that many people need a reality check.

First off it's out in bumblefuk...secondly it's probably boxes of k-rap in questionable condition. Those type of comics are worth $1.00 apiece....if not less.

We're talking about copper keys and that's not to be confused with generic copper of course.

That's not to say that folks aren't getting a bit more riled up than they need to be, but it's been apparent that certain copper titles are on the uptick for a variety of different reasons.

And FTR, there's plenty of silver and bronze out there that are garbage....as well as some golden era comics that folks can't seem to get rid of at shows....selling for $8.00 or markedly less.

Saw a scad of them this weekend.

Find the right stuff in any era and it's of course worthwhile.

I found a 130 long box original owner mostly copper collection that I was very happy to get my hands on. Submitted my first 100 books in Chicago and am very happy with the results. I submitted 17 copies of X-Men #266 straight from the collection, (that was not stored in bags) and unpressed (the collection was that nice) and got 15 9.8's, 1 9.6 and 1 9.9, which I would gladly trade for the one 9.6 every day of the week.

I'm really loving this copper stuff, and I agree with Dan that the rule of 25 appears to be prevailing here.

df645710-f7c8-48df-80dd-bb636856ddef.jpg

Jim

I found a 130 long box original owner mostly copper collection that I was very happy to get my hands on. Submitted my first 100 books in Chicago and am very happy with the results. I submitted 17 copies of X-Men #266 straight from the collection, (that was not stored in bags) and unpressed (the collection was that nice) and got 15 9.8's, 1 9.6 and 1 9.9, which I would gladly trade for the one 9.6 every day of the week.

I'm really loving this copper stuff, and I agree with Dan that the rule of 25 appears to be prevailing here.

df645710-f7c8-48df-80dd-bb636856ddef.jpg

Jim

Nice job Jim. I need me a collection like that!

Thanks for this post.

I pulled a Web of Spidey 118 out of a dollar bin yesterday.

I had no idea it was worth anything before this thread.

You aren't lying. And to think I still find Web of Spidey 118 in dollar bins. Pulled one out of one at the May Orlando show for a buck, came back a 9.8. I can't tell you how many of those books I put into backstock all those years ago because my boss over ordered it based on the hype. He probably sold them for a dime a book too. lol

I cut a deal yesterday for a collection that has some SA and BA, but is primarily Copper Marvel. 16 longboxes with nice runs of ASM, X-titles, Avengers, Thor and others, at a price of $1.75 per book. A bit more than I would normally like to pay, but since all of the bigger Marvel Copper keys are there, along with some nice SA/BA books (ASM #100 in VF or better, #121 in 4.0 due to unneeded piece of tape reinforcing top staple on cover of VF book :cry:, X-Men #101, plus earlier issues of both in mid to higher grade) it should be worth it.

The funny thing is, he contacted a couple of stores - one gave him a very lowball offer, two said they were not interested in looking at it. doh!

I cut a deal yesterday for a collection that has some SA and BA, but is primarily Copper Marvel. 16 longboxes with nice runs of ASM, X-titles, Avengers, Thor and others, at a price of $1.75 per book. A bit more than I would normally like to pay, but since all of the bigger Marvel Copper keys are there, along with some nice SA/BA books (ASM #100 in VF or better, #121 in 4.0 due to unneeded piece of tape reinforcing top staple on cover of VF book :cry:, X-Men #101, plus earlier issues of both in mid to higher grade) it should be worth it.

The funny thing is, he contacted a couple of stores - one gave him a very lowball offer, two said they were not interested in looking at it. doh!

$7000? You should do very nicely on it. Bulk a lot of the stuff out at $3-5 per.

$7000? You should do very nicely on it. Bulk a lot of the stuff out at $3-5 per.

Final price is less than that. ;)