• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vintage Comic Related Toys and Memorabilia

45 posts in this topic

I thought it might be neat to have a thread where we can post our vintage comic related toys. Ill start this party with a rare Superman Krypto-Raygun Projector Pistol With Box made by Daisy in 1940.

The first Krypto-Raygun appearance in comics was Action Comics #32 from 1941. However, the box for the Krypto-Raygun Projector Pistol, which preceded Action 32 by a year, is the first time the word Kryptonite appeared anywhere. The text on the box explains that this gun is "exactly like Superman's own original Krypto-Raygun which is made of 'Kryptonite' the amazing metallic substance found only on the planet Krypton." The Kryptonite we know (Superman's achilles heel) didn't appear in comic books until Superman #61 (Nov. 1949).

This pocket projector gun projects Superman movies onto the wall, and the box includes an explanation "written by Superman" detailing the science behind it. All seven of the film strips are included in this set, and the Raygun itself features a raised flying Superman with outstretched arms. The few examples of this item that have surfaced are normally missing the small piece that holds the grip and back of the gun in the box, but mine is complete.

What a terrific toy! :applause:

Thanks for sharing.

Have you had a good look at the film strips? Are they simply panels from Superman stories (which ones)? Given this was made in 1940 the art is unlikely to be from the Fleischer cartoons, made 1941-

Or was the art done specifically for the "Krypto-Ray Gun?

At about a foot long, easily the coolest of the rocket ship character toys...

buckrocket1.jpg

This is a fantastic example, and I am on the lookout for a Marx Buck Rogers ship. Fortunately, I have a gorgeous example of the original box for this item:

BuckRogersRocketBox2_zpsd7bdfdb9.jpg

BuckRogersRocketBox3_zps0facc059.jpg

BuckRogersRocketBox4_zps19fca4f1.jpg

And, the ultra-rare original flint envelope:

BuckRogersRocketBox7_zps8ff1b4c8.jpg