• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vintage Comic Related Toys and Memorabilia

45 posts in this topic

Great stuff, all. :applause:

Envelope for Cocomalt Big Book of Comics giveaway (1938):

100_1200.jpg

100_1195.jpg

All of those 1930's giveaway comics are hard to find, but to have one in such great condition with the original mailer is truly outstanding.

I just got done hanging this on a new wall. :cloud9:

framedpiee2001.jpg

framedpiecepluschromiumsbooks009.jpg

:applause:

wait so "metropolis" is in Illinois? I always figured it was a stand in for NYC but instead its a stand-in for chicago???

I just got done hanging this on a new wall. :cloud9:

framedpiee2001.jpg

framedpiecepluschromiumsbooks009.jpg

:applause:

wait so "metropolis" is in Illinois? I always figured it was a stand in for NYC but instead its a stand-in for chicago???

In the comics and T.V. iterations, wasn't Metropolis considered to be fairly close to Smallville? It would make sense that it would basically be Chicago.

These are 3 solid sterling silver pieces. The wonder woman piece is was the first ingot produced and was only limited to 300 pieces.

The suitcase is a 1940's Clark Kent suitcase that I have virtually no information about.

The coin is a misprint because it says created by Joe Siegal and Jerry Schuster.

All 3 pieces range from very scarce to very rare.

d3f52869-bae6-4503-8bec-370f3125f2e5_zpsf0031ec0.jpg

No, there is a small town in Illinois that happens to be named Metropolis. They have thoroughly embraced the history of their fictional namesake and there's a Superman museum there, events, etc. I keep meaning to make the trip...

sc05.JPG

metropolis_sign_il-405.jpg

http://www.supermuseum.com/

According to the new book Super Boys by Brad Ricca, Metropolis is supposed to be Cleveland in the early Superman stories. Sometime in the 1940's, it became New York.

These are 3 solid sterling silver pieces. The wonder woman piece is was the first ingot produced and was only limited to 300 pieces.

The suitcase is a 1940's Clark Kent suitcase that I have virtually no information about.

The coin is a misprint because it says created by Joe Siegal and Jerry Schuster.

All 3 pieces range from very scarce to very rare.

d3f52869-bae6-4503-8bec-370f3125f2e5_zpsf0031ec0.jpg

These are phenomenal. I have never seen any of them. Do you know how many of the coins were produced with the misprint?

According to the new book Super Boys by Brad Ricca, Metropolis is supposed to be Cleveland in the early Superman stories. Sometime in the 1940's, it became New York.

It's also been claimed that Shuster modeled the Metropolis skyline on Toronto as well, where he lived until he was 9. The original paper Clark Kent worked on was The Daily Star, apparently inspired by the Toronto Star, a paper he sold as a boy.

Images of the %201920s.html'>Toronto skyline in the 30s are pretty unimpressive though, as are those of Cleveland, and I'm not sure if Shuster really drew any skyline of Metropolis more detailed than that on the cover of Action 28, which is pretty generic looking. It's safe to say the Metropolis was pretty much a stand in for any large city, or if you will, metropolis, that sits on a body of water. Gotham was always more clearly New York, and Batman's earliest adventures actually took place in New York City.

archiebook033_zps2d8dfb41.jpg

Cool! Most people these days don't know that Blony was Bowman's house brand of penny bubble gum or that Archie comics were featured in Blony gum to compete with Pud in Dubble Bubble and Bazooka Joe.

(thumbs u

How many of the little comics do you have?

???

only known set of pin, certificate and envelop (or least it was when i purchased it many moons ago.............jb

Fantastic. New Fun 3 has a lot going for it. 3rd DC comic book, 1st science fiction cover on a comic, 1st DC heroine on a cover.