• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to the comics you had as a kid?

111 posts in this topic

What's more regrettable for me is that ALL of the better SA back issues I bought in my early teens were sold during the '80s, at a time when cars, guitars, girls, partying, hamburgers, gasoline, amplifiers, stereo gear, etc., were taking a big toll on my small bank account.

For some reason I would have imagined that… :eyeroll:

I did that by filling up my first Marvel Value Stamp book.

Man I love seeing those Marvel Value Stamps.

Has Marvel continued that promotion to the present day? I've not bought any new comics off the rack for a few years so I don't know.

???

:gossip: And Italians loved the Surfer huh?

Sorry, I missed this.

Yes, Surfer has always been big in Italy. The publisher made an odd move: since those titles started to be published in 1970, they matched 1962 Spidey with 1969 Dr. Strange, and 1963 Daredevil with 1968 Silver Surfer.

Since the italian Marvels came out in a period which culturally was dominated by a certain kind of comics criticism, which tended to valorize the more mature side of narration, the Surfer and Dr. Strange were critically appreciated, while many smaller kids did not get them (especially Strange, whose previous stories were all unpublished).

The first comics my brother and I had we sold at my family's first garage sale in 1971. My older brother had a few of the Marvels that were published from 1961 to 1969. I was only 8 so I do not remember what I had or sold, but my brother always regretted selling those Marvel's.

Starting in 1972 and 1973 I was not going to ever let go of them again. So I made sure to keep them securely stored. Trouble is, I read them all the time so the condition of my collection from 1972-1978 or so is not that great.

So I guess I still do have a majority of my childhood collection.

I still have at least two of the three I am posting, for sure. Here’s other two.

:baiting:

Don’t worry, they aren’t going anywhere: if you may be interested in them, at some point, I will gladly give them to you for cheap. :)

#1 is the only one which would be somewhat costly. Lowgrades go for no less than $80. I guess nothing compared to the more delicate Mexican LaPrensa books…

I honestly have no idea what I did with them and my memory isn't that great from when I was young anyway so probably one of my parents tossed them. I can't even remember what comics I had when I was young except for one or two.... About a week ago I walked into my LCS and was just randomly flipping through some books and came across a Marvel Team Up 57. It instantly set off something in the memory banks so I grabbed it and it is off for grading so I can have one of my childhood books back!

I still have all mine sporadic in my long boxes. As I find them with my name scribbled on them. I pull them out. Typically all 1972-1975, then I pretty mush have all my OO books in higher grade past that.

As an 80's kid we did not have much but I kept everything as clean and neat as possible.

I sold all of the Transformers, GI Joe, Batman and drek stuff.

I kept all of my ASM stuff and mentioned last week how I bought a copy of ASM 69 and read the hell out of it and it still hit a 9.0 upon grading.

I still have the very first book I ever got which was a Road Runner Whitman comic.

Found a pic in mycomicshop... One day I will have the conastas to send this in for the simple reason that I want to preserve it.

ScreenShot2013-08-01at45348PM.png

....I want to preserve it.
Send it in Mylite2 + fullback + 5 sheets of Microchamber + acid-free tape to tack down the flap (thumbs u

I have no inclination to buy packs of those for anything else so I figured it would be easier to simply get it slabbed in a future order.

My mom found them, and put them in some longboxes I have been storing at their house (until I find a house).

Last time I was there, I found out she had done it. . . Uncanny X-Men 129, 134-137.

I know there are others somewhere in that house. . . UXM #266 and Wolverine Limited #1.

I still have every comic I ever owned since a kid :)

And with you we make three! :)

Still curious to see how many of us there‘s out there.

I still own most of the italian Disney books and other stuff my father bought me when I was about 3 years old. In some of them I have even drawn the characters, and I learned to read on the pages of "Topolino", our leading Disney comic.

:hi: Claudio

I was just telling Venom the other day that I still remember buying my first comic book when I was in middle school. My friend wanted $5 for it even though the cover price was $1.50. I was pretty sure I was getting ripped off but he promised me it would be worth something someday. That comic was ASM # 300 and I have been a collector ever since ;)

:hi: Claudio

I was just telling Venom the other day that I still remember buying my first comic book when I was in middle school. My friend wanted $5 for it even though the cover price was $1.50. I was pretty sure I was getting ripped off but he promised me it would be worth something someday. That comic was ASM # 300 and I have been a collector ever since ;)

I bought ASM #300 slightly after it came out… :cloud9:

Wasn’t entirely convinced by the excessive caricatural approach of McFarlane, but after I started reading it, I was totally hooked. I think my first ASM in original edition was #306 or so…

But the very first ASM I bought and read as a kid is this one:

UR_214.JPG

and the following issue introduced me to the Punisher and Nightcrawler:

UR_215.JPG