• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay help - received damaged comic (ASM 129)

111 posts in this topic

Tough crowd here. You expected the book in a certain condition as pictured; it arrived (being generous) slightly worse due to poor packing. I don't think asking for a token partial refund is out of line. (shrug)

I see what you mean, however - I think the point of Jimmy's comment that a few of us agreed with was a buyer saying to himself: "Well, I'll keep it, but let's see if he'll refund me some money." (the OP didn't say he was going to do that)

It's more of a philosophical agreement than anything. Where does someone draw the line between asking for a refund because the book is legitimately damaged beyond it's grade and asking for a refund because you want to see if you can get a little extra?

Just got a VF book today from a boardie with the corner bent from USPS - it's still a VF, but with an extra corner ding. He packed them just fine with plenty of cardboard. I don't feel compelled at all to try and get something for it - sometimes mess just gets messed up in transit, and that's the way it goes. I look at it as the perils of modern-day shipping.

As for the OP, if it bothers you, I would take advantage of the seller's return policy and be done with it. Whether opening a case with Ebay or solving it with the seller, you're going to be out return shipping - might as well do it amicably.

If you plan on keeping the book I think its a move to ask for a partial refund.

return it or don't complain. 2c

+1, I always tell partial refund ebay requesters to basically go F themselves and return the book

+1, I always tell partial refund ebay requesters to basically go F themselves and return the book

Well then you set yourself up for negative feedback. The way Ebay is now the buyers have all the power. Yes there are jerks out there that exploit that.

Well then you set yourself up for negative feedback. The way Ebay is now the buyers have all the power. I have given partial refunds before to avoid negative feedback. If that makes the buyer happy then I am happy. Yes there are jerks out there that exploit that.

I have given partial refunds also (within reason) as sometimes it is easier and cheaper than taking the return.

Also If I have an issue with something I purchased, I always ask the seller for their suggestion to make it right. Sometimes they offer a partial refund. If it sounds fair I may take it. If not, I send it back.

Well then you set yourself up for negative feedback. The way Ebay is now the buyers have all the power. I have given partial refunds before to avoid negative feedback. If that makes the buyer happy then I am happy. Yes there are jerks out there that exploit that.

hm

I have given partial refunds also (within reason) as sometimes it is easier and cheaper than taking the return.

Also If I have an issue with something I purchased, I always ask the seller for their suggestion to make it right. Sometimes they offer a partial refund. If it sounds fair I may take it. If not, I send it back.

:applause:

Exactly my point. It can be a hassle for both the buyer and the seller with returns. The partials I have offered is because the item was damaged or something, never if I feel I am dealing with a scammer. But if I do my job right I shouldn't have to worry about that unless the buyer is being a .

For this I was looking for the seller to at least offer up a return or something. He came back with a response so the reason for this post.

I'll keep it and leave the appropriate feedback.

What is the appropriate feedback for getting a book in VG condition, when you ordered a book in VG condition?

Either positive, or no FB at all if you didn't appreciate the shipping method.

Who could appreciate that way of shipping a comic? Neutral or negative fb is in order for anyone who ships books like that. Leaving positive fb does a disservice to buyers who might consider buying from this guy.

As a seller you offer a partial refund because the buyer still wants the item. Only he doesn't think paying the original price is still appropriate as the item is no longer in the same condition it was when it was originally paid for. The seller should pay for his ineptitude, it was his shoddy packaging effort that resulted in the loss. And yes that deserves a negative or at best a neutral. If you don't know how to ship comics you shouldn't be selling them.

To clear the air.....BARTH....I am the guy you bought the comic from. My name is Aaron Curry. First off I'd like to point out that you are missing a few details here so let me fill in the blanks that you forgot to mention.....for starters, you DO NOT show the layers of bubble wrap I had the ASM 129 wrapped in nor do you show the Large bubble mailer that it was sent in? WHY? I mean seriously, who would send a $130 comic in nothing but 2 pieces of cardboard and an envelope.... I personally pack all my items and I am a collector too so yes I know how to package comics. That's why I used cardboard, bubble wrap and an over-sized bubble mailer to ship your book in.

OK next is the insurance.....The book was FULLY insured for $129.99 which is what you paid for it. Unfortunately, our glorious Postal System isn't so glorious after all as they damaged your comic that I sent to you. It sucks! I mean seriously this really sucks and I'm sorry it happened as it's a nice book but this is on the PO and not me. Honestly, I don't understand your logic here. The book was clearly damaged by the PO and it was Fully insured. Not to mention that I wrapped it quite well so the insurance claim will go in your favor that I am certain of. If I hadn't packed the item well then heck no but I made sure to double wrap it before I shipped it out. So the PO should be the ones issuing you the refund and NOT me as they are the ones that damaged the book. If I didn't buy insurance or didn't pack it well then by all means return it b/c that is on me but that is not the case here as I clearly bought insurance......I mean why buy the insurance then....seriously? That is what it's for, to protect your investment in case anything happens in transit. Anyone that buys books from me can return them if they aren't happy with them no questions asked. However, if an item, be it a comic, toy, games or really whatever gets damaged in the mail, (clearly the case here) then why would I take a return for the said damaged item? It's clearly insured and was also clearly damaged by the Postal Service. That is why I am saying you need to file the insurance claim. I'm not trying to be a jerk here and I"m certainly NOT trying to rip anyone off I'm simply stating the obvious that the book was damaged by the Postal Service, even though it was wrapped and protected well the book still got damaged. Sometimes these things happen and it really sucks but honestly I feel that I am in the right here b/c I packed the item myself in several layers of bubble wrap sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard & then put in a bubble mailer. Anyways, I've said what I need to say on here concerning this matter.

That isn't how insurance works in this case though. You insured the package, so you have to deal with making the claim. It's actually in place to protect you, not the buyer. It's not optional - recipients can't make claims.

Well done for coming to the thread to discuss openly, anyway.

So how much did you really save by not using a box? Can you really justify mailing a $130 comic like that? Bubble mailier with flimsy cardboard and bubble wrap just is not going to cut it. Hopefully the insurance will not pay for your negligence

Yes you are right I didn't show the small amount of bubble wrap that was around the two flimsy pieces of cardboard in a bubble mailer. I'm a collector too and I would NEVER ship a comic or anything the way you did.

Get your popcorn ready! :popcorn:

That isn't how insurance works in this case though. You insured the package, so you have to deal with making the claim. It's actually in place to protect you, not the buyer. It's not optional - recipients can't make claims.

Well done for coming to the thread to discuss openly, anyway.

+1