• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze age comics

14 posts in this topic

Here re a few of my recent scores. I have been a long time comic collector just for the art and stories. Over the last year I have decided to step up my game and start collecting bronze and silver age X-men. If you guys don't mind I would like an impartial second opinion.

gsx001-1.png~original

f144ce08-7f9d-4944-993d-4fc09a018af4.jpg

The owner of the local shop says its a 1.5 worth $20 which she offered to buy. I would place a 3 to 3.5 on it. How far off base am I? Thanks in advance, and nice to meet you guys I have been stalking the boards around here for a few months but havnt posted before.

Welcome to the boards. We can't grade accurately from cropped scans. And it is usually one book per thread. For tips of posting in the PGM sub forum see this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6143322

Even on my phone I can see that the gsx 1 is much better than a fair to good minus. That comic shop owner is a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

Provided it is complete and the cover is attached I am thinking EDIT 4.5/5.0. But may revise my grade when I see it on a big screen.

I didn't crop them its how the scanner uploaded I can try to tinker with my placement tomorrow and see if I can get the scan better. I appreciate any help advice and criticism. I just want to make sure that my grades are realistic.

Also gsx1 the line above storm is a tear on cover only.

Welcome to the boards. We can't grade accurately from cropped scans. And it is usually one book per thread. For tips of posting in the PGM sub forum see this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6143322

Even on my phone I can see that the gsx 1 is much better than a fair to good minus. That comic shop owner is a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

Provided it is complete and the cover is attached I am thinking EDIT 4.5/5.0. But may revise my grade when I see it on a big screen.

+1

You may want to find a new LCS.

GSX 1 looks VG- to me. The scans on the others need to be adjusted to get a decent read.

Anyone who offers $20 for that GSX #1 is a complete rip-off artist.....plain and simple, regardless of a difference in opinion on the grade.

+1

If someone offered me $20 for that, I would not deal with them again.

report them to the comic police

seriously though, thats spoon

bigger/better pictures would help to accurately grade

I'd say the guy is just a bad grader, but unless the inside has been eaten by a dog, he's just flat out lying to you.

Without that tear on the front cover, this would probably be a 6.5/7.0 at least. It's very hard to grade white covers if they are actually white, because the defects don't show up well - but usually if they are this white, they don't have a lot of wear anyway. The crease on the back cover is a production crease, and while unsightly, it's not that big a deal.

Even with the big tear on the front cover, I would give this a 4.0. Maybe higher.

There's no way someone could call this a 1.5 as a mistake.

I'm sure she would give you $20 for it.

That's a pretty ballsy undergrade, even for a dealer or LCS. Wow. I swear some of the dealers and store owners take the fact that they got picked last for kickball out on their customer base.

I'd say the guy is just a bad grader, but unless the inside has been eaten by a dog, he's just flat out lying to you.

Without that tear on the front cover, this would probably be a 6.5/7.0 at least. It's very hard to grade white covers if they are actually white, because the defects don't show up well - but usually if they are this white, they don't have a lot of wear anyway. The crease on the back cover is a production crease, and while unsightly, it's not that big a deal.

Even with the big tear on the front cover, I would give this a 4.0. Maybe higher.

There's no way someone could call this a 1.5 as a mistake.

+1 I'd say 6.5 without the tear and subtract 2 full grades for the tear to get a 4.5.

lol no wasn't interested in selling was just looking for a grade conformation from her. She glances through my comics saying you really don't see these any more sees the gsx this is low low grade ill give you $20 for it. Got her today though paid $5 for a turtlemania #1. After I get the kids settled down tonight I will rescan the other ones.