• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

National Diamond Insert
2 2

39 posts in this topic

So....has anyone seen a ww199 or ww200 with it??????????????

Aren't those 52 pagers? Typically you don't see the inserts in anything other than standard comics. Could be wrong though. DC books are typically a little tougher to find with inserts than Marvel.

Correct. They only appeared in the 32 page issues. (thumbs u

For a number of years (with only a few exception), inserts were paid for by advertisers for overseas troops' copies. Mark Jewelers were the company that bought the most, but many of the early months (during '72 and '73) were actually National Diamond inserts.

Yea I noticed that it said something about servicemen. Were they just put in issues for military subscribers then?

My understanding is these were shipped directly to overseas military bases.

Correct.

They were never available within the US.

I collect spidey ND & MJ inserts and I've heard 1st hand accounts of these issues being available at PX's within the US. I tend to believe this as they are way too common to only have been available overseas and then somehow make it back to states.

Has anyone physically seen an Amazing Spider-Man #96 with a ND insert? I have heard that was the first possible issue of spidey but I have never seen one. I have found 2 copies of 97.

As far as I'm aware, it was only overseas and here's Jim's site with all the details...

http://www.awe4one.com/NDS-MJ%20Inserts/Insert%20webpage.html

(worship) good stuff, thanks for the link.

So....has anyone seen a ww199 or ww200 with it??????????????

Aren't those 52 pagers? Typically you don't see the inserts in anything other than standard comics. Could be wrong though. DC books are typically a little tougher to find with inserts than Marvel.

Correct. They only appeared in the 32 page issues. (thumbs u

For a bit there....I thought I was going to engage myself on a quest of unbelievable adventures and endless tales of bravery....all to get me another WW199 book....oh well...

As the French would say....."Napa whyne ees deezgustinghh!!"

....wait..the other thing they say....

For a number of years (with only a few exception), inserts were paid for by advertisers for overseas troops' copies. Mark Jewelers were the company that bought the most, but many of the early months (during '72 and '73) were actually National Diamond inserts.

Yea I noticed that it said something about servicemen. Were they just put in issues for military subscribers then?

Correct.

I collect spidey ND & MJ inserts and I've heard 1st hand accounts of these issues being available at PX's within the US. I tend to believe this as they are way too common to only have been available overseas and then somehow make it back to states.

Has anyone physically seen an Amazing Spider-Man #96 with a ND insert? I have heard that was the first possible issue of spidey but I have never seen one. I have found 2 copies of 97.

As far as I'm aware, it was only overseas and here's Jim's site with all the details...

Right, I'm aware of this theory. I wish I paid more attention throughout the years of collections I've purchased. We have 2 big Air Force bases close to Atlanta and I find ND & MJ inserts all over the place (still today) I swear I've had people tell me these were available at local PX not just overseas. There just seems to be too many of them to be exclusive to overseas. (shrug)

Correct.

Right, I'm aware of this theory. I wish I paid more attention throughout the years of collections I've purchased. We have 2 big Air Force bases close to Atlanta and I find ND & MJ inserts all over the place (still today) I swear I've had people tell me these were available at local PX not just overseas. There just seems to be too many of them to be exclusive to overseas. (shrug)

More likely that the books were bought overseas but made their way back to specific areas with redeployment. (thumbs u

Correct.

More likely that the books were bought overseas but made their way back to specific areas with redeployment. (thumbs u

I disagree. Space is a premium and most servicemen probably didn't care enough to ship home. Even when I was in the service guys very rarely shipped anything home.

mycomicshop.com (Lonestar) seems to think they were distributed in US as its listed in all of their MJ descriptions.

Its an interesting topic and I still believe these books will have a day in the sun. Although most collectors are probably still unaware they even exist.

Correct.

I disagree. Space is a premium and most servicemen probably didn't care enough to ship home. Even when I was in the service guys very rarely shipped anything home.

mycomicshop.com (Lonestar) seems to think they were distributed in US as its listed in all of their MJ descriptions.

Its an interesting topic and I still believe these books will have a day in the sun. Although most collectors are probably still unaware they even exist.

I can only go with Jim's (the owner of the site I linked) opinion on this and he himself was an airman and contends that it was only overseas distribution.

And I agree - these books are a cut above the usual prints. (thumbs u

i bought a huge spidey run from someone whose father was in the service. there were a lot of MJ inserts. his father bought them off the rack, in the states.

Were they bought on base though? It sounded like if they were sold on base then they would have the inserts.

Correct.

I can only go with Jim's (the owner of the site I linked) opinion on this and he himself was an airman and contends that it was only overseas distribution.

And I agree - these books are a cut above the usual prints. (thumbs u

I've soften my belief that these inserts were overseas only. Too many people say otheriwse. But...I know they weren't available in my stateside assignments in the late 80s. But were when I went overseas. And the ads were targeted to overseas personnel.

They may have been available stateside but I don't think it was common. Maybe a distribution pipeline that allowed some to be sold in the states.

Jim

Hey All... going thru a storage container of old PC books of mine and found a copy of FF #132 containing an insert. At first I thought it to be a Mark Jeweler insert, but after removing it from its bag/board I found its a National Diamond Insert. Going back thru this particular thread to get any updates... it's been a while (far as 2013). I understand Marks Jewelers is big, but does NDS make a bigger impact in FMV for a book? Does CGC note this if I were to have it graded? 

Thx!!!

On 7/30/2023 at 7:50 PM, Door County Greek said:

Hey All... going thru a storage container of old PC books of mine and found a copy of FF #132 containing an insert. At first I thought it to be a Mark Jeweler insert, but after removing it from its bag/board I found its a National Diamond Insert. Going back thru this particular thread to get any updates... it's been a while (far as 2013). I understand Marks Jewelers is big, but does NDS make a bigger impact in FMV for a book? Does CGC note this if I were to have it graded? 

Thx!!!

In my experience it can make a bigger impact depending on book, but it is not as widely discussed or talked about. Imo it is because it is "less commonly" found and or for sale, and that would be why it "could" make an impact. I don't really think as many people have demand for them unfortunately due to them being less talked about.

Yes cgc will put it on the label. :cheers:

The book itself is in the VG range and my thought was having something of value due to the rarity of the NDS insert. I figure it's more bragging rights so I will just hang on to it. But who knows... we should start a new trend similar to "newsstand" copies everyone wants for Bronze age books... Anyone can have a rare MJ insert.. But a NDS insert can trump that!!. 

Using the MyComicShop site as a reference when I was searching for any info was very helpful to get an idea of which books contained this type of insert

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?SeriesID=5091&p=2&AffID=1003187P02

Appreciate the feedback!!

On 7/31/2023 at 10:16 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

In my experience it can make a bigger impact depending on book, but it is not as widely discussed or talked about. Imo it is because it is "less commonly" found and or for sale, and that would be why it "could" make an impact. I don't really think as many people have demand for them unfortunately due to them being less talked about.

Yes cgc will put it on the label. :cheers:

Currently, in my experience, there is far less demand for comic books containing the National Diamond Sales Insert and, consequently, the comic books containing them are not very sought after and, thus, the price folks are generally willing to pay for them are relatively low because I do not see copies with "high prices" selling but "low priced" ones do, give or take. Most of the copies I have seen are mid-grade.

I purchased "many" copies long ago with NDSI at LCSs, very few high grade, for about $1.50 each, if I correctly recall, but no more than $2 each (I wrote that information down but my log is in another state), and some for around $0.25 as they were included in primarily VF/8.0 collections that I purchased. I never bothered to inquire where the sellers of the collections had acquired the issues with NDSI

Of course, some things change so the prices folks are willing to pay for such copies may increase.

On 8/2/2023 at 5:59 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Currently, in my experience, there is far less demand for comic books containing the National Diamond Sales Insert and, consequently, the comic books containing them are not very sought after and, thus, the price folks are generally willing to pay for them are relatively low because I do not see copies with "high prices" selling but "low priced" ones do, give or take. Most of the copies I have seen are mid-grade.

I purchased "many" copies long ago with NDSI at LCSs, very few high grade, for about $1.50 each, if I correctly recall, but no more than $2 each (I wrote that information down but my log is in another state), and some for around $0.25 as they were included in primarily VF/8.0 collections that I purchased. I never bothered to inquire where the sellers of the collections had acquired the issues with NDSI

Of course, some things change so the prices folks are willing to pay for such copies may increase.

That is my experience too, like any variant listings, depending on how "it is listed and who looks at it" I may get a premium as something different to a completionist etc. 

I agree they don't usually, which I blamed on not being talked about, or not nearly in the same vein as mark jeweler. I hardly hear either mentioned in "real" life but much less so the NDI, same with pizazz. While pizazz is not nearly the same type of 'insert" it may be represented in the market in value with the same kind of a "neat" or different thing, but wouldn't spur loads of searches for it. Maybe just impulse buys at bin?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM