• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

******SPOILERS****** Avengers #502 *****SPOILERS******

84 posts in this topic

Its funny that people get on Bendis's case for dragging out story arcs too long,yet here,where he packs more intrigue into the space of a few hours than I thought possible,he catches grief for it.

I read 500-502 yesterday and think they were a good set-up for the final issue.Perhaps I'm missing something,but I don't have a clue who the villian is going to end up being.Someone with magickal abilities that can manipulate minds as well.A few suspects come to mind,but none that would explain the Vision.

I'll be real disappointed if that ends up being Clints last moment of glory.Its almost a reprise of his"death" at the end of the original Kree-Skrull war,way back in issue 97 of the first series.

Its funny that people get on Bendis's case for dragging out story arcs too long,yet here,where he packs more intrigue into the space of a few hours than I thought possible,he catches grief for it.

I read 500-502 yesterday and think they were a good set-up for the final issue.Perhaps I'm missing something,but I don't have a clue who the villian is going to end up being.Someone with magickal abilities that can manipulate minds as well.A few suspects come to mind,but none that would explain the Vision.

I'll be real disappointed if that ends up being Clints last moment of glory.Its almost a reprise of his"death" at the end of the original Kree-Skrull war,way back in issue 97 of the first series.

Intrigue? Nah. To this point it's just been a bunch of seemingly unrelated nonsensical events coupled with moments of blistering violence featuring guest-appearances from half of the Marvel Universe and the deaths of multiple characters.

That sure COULD be interesting.

It's not though, because these AREN'T the characters that anyone cares about. Bendis has them ALL behaving strangely (out-of-character), so who cares? It's pure mayhem. There's no way to even wonder what's going to happen next because there is very little rhyme or reason to what's happening in their world so far. There's no reference point, and there's no coherent story, so the main reason anyone is reading this is to see "WHO DIES?!?!?!" next. Blah.

On the other hand, at this point, if it's NOT the Scarlet Witch, I'm going to feel cheated. He's built up the whole "Chaos Magick" angle (and isn't the name of the arc "Chaos"??), so to yank the rug out at the end and provide some OTHER lame "twist" on the only plot element that makes sense would be weak.

So, where I once would have heaped praise on Bendis, I must say he is continuing his sad tradition of weak storytelling. Though he is, admittedly, finding a better balance between words and pictures.

(And again, where was Hawkeye's body???!)

Intrigue? Nah. To this point it's just been a bunch of seemingly unrelated nonsensical events coupled with moments of blistering violence featuring guest-appearances from half of the Marvel Universe and the deaths of multiple characters.

That sure COULD be interesting.

It's not though, because these AREN'T the characters that anyone cares about. Bendis has them ALL behaving strangely (out-of-character), so who cares? It's pure mayhem. There's no way to even wonder what's going to happen next because there is very little rhyme or reason to what's happening in their world so far. There's no reference point, and there's no coherent story, so the main reason anyone is reading this is to see "WHO DIES?!?!?!" next. Blah.

On the other hand, at this point, if it's NOT the Scarlet Witch, I'm going to feel cheated. He's built up the whole "Chaos Magick" angle (and isn't the name of the arc "Chaos"??), so to yank the rug out at the end and provide some OTHER lame "twist" on the only plot element that makes sense would be weak.

So, where I once would have heaped praise on Bendis, I must say he is continuing his sad tradition of weak storytelling. Though he is, admittedly, finding a better balance between words and pictures.

(And again, where was Hawkeye's body???!)

To be fair Strange said it was Magic not Chaos Magic so it might not be Scarlet witch!

27_laughing.gif True... but it IS awfully chaotic, wouldn't you say? And she HAS been conspicuously absent, hasn't she? And the name of the story arc is "Chaos", is it not?

Again, it would be GREAT if those were ALL red herrings and there was some insufficiently_thoughtful_person behind the curtain pulling all the strings-- wait, no that would suck. It had better be her and they'd better punch up the drama about having to chop her head off with Cap's shield ( cloud9.gif ) because I don't know that I can stand another "deus ex machina"-type story.

sumo.gif

Somebody on another message board came up with a theory on who the mastermind behind "Disassembled"is, and it makes alot of sense. Here's what he came up with:

The ultimate architect of Avengers: Disassembled is actually...

...Tony Stark, whose alcoholic weaknesses have resurfaced due to the mounting pressures of life as an avenger, an industrialist and secretary of defense. Motivated by drunken self-destructiveness and misplaced resentment toward the Avengers, he has released an imprisoned Jack of Hearts from a second zero room, knowing he would head straight to Avengers mansion before finally exploding again, and has reprogrammed the Vision using the detailed schematics he used to rebuild the android after the Morgan le Fay affair...

...except its not really him, because he's being framed by...

...Hank Pym, who has been systematically implanting miniaturized booze in Stark's system in order to publicly destabilize and implicate him. Pym, no stranger to instability and insecurity himself, hates Stark due to the brief affair Stark had with the Wasp after the Pyms' divorce. This terrible memory has been brought back to the fore of Pym's insecure little mind by Jan's recent dalliance with Hawkeye (for whom there's major grief in store). Pym has used his intimate knowledge of the Vision's construction to hijack the android's body, using Stark to employ the Vision as a delivery system for erzatz versions of Pym's own 'son' and the Vision's 'father', Ultron. In the same way he got Stark drunk, Pym has microscopically introduced intoxicants into She-Hulk's system, timing them to enlarge at the same time Jack of Hearts returns to the mansion and causing her to go berserk. In a return to his irrational, vengeful form, Pym blames the avengers for his own shortcomings, and knowing that that they still don't really trust him despite the integration of his fractured personalities, he attempts to destroy them in his trademark impotent fury...

...except its not really him, because he's being magically manipulated by...

...the Scarlet Witch, who is using her probability-altering power to stop anyone noticing that Pym is far too obvious a suspect. Wanda secretly despises the Avengers due to the scant support they gave her when she lost her children, and has been re-possessed by Cthon, her resistance weakened by her tortured mental state. Despising her former husband most of all since the loss of his emotional state spared him the anguish she still feels, she makes sure he is one of the first casualties after Stark unleashes a re-constituted Jack of Hearts (who she resurrected in much the same way she brought Wonder Man back from the dead, and allowed Stark to contain in his second zero room) on the Avengers...

...except its not really her, because he's being deceived by...

...the twins themselves, Thomas and William, who are royally pissed at their parents after having been abandoned in Hell for the past few years. Mystically empowered by Master Pandemonium and masquerading as Cthon, they persuade Wanda to dispatch the Vision as emotionlessly as he dismissed them, and proceed to dupe their mother into destroying everything she holds dear...

...except its not really them, because the newly-mortal twins have been seduced by the materialistic pleasures of the mortal world and are motivated solely by base profit. they're being employed by...

...Tony Stark, whose alcoholic weaknesses have resurfaced due to the mounting pressures of...

Somebody on another message board came up with a theory on who the mastermind behind "Disassembled"is, and it makes alot of sense. Here's what he came up with:

The ultimate architect of Avengers: Disassembled is actually...

...Tony Stark, whose alcoholic weaknesses have resurfaced due to the mounting pressures of life as an avenger, an industrialist and secretary of defense. Motivated by drunken self-destructiveness and misplaced resentment toward the Avengers, he has released an imprisoned Jack of Hearts from a second zero room, knowing he would head straight to Avengers mansion before finally exploding again, and has reprogrammed the Vision using the detailed schematics he used to rebuild the android after the Morgan le Fay affair...

...except its not really him, because he's being framed by...

...Hank Pym, who has been systematically implanting miniaturized booze in Stark's system in order to publicly destabilize and implicate him. Pym, no stranger to instability and insecurity himself, hates Stark due to the brief affair Stark had with the Wasp after the Pyms' divorce. This terrible memory has been brought back to the fore of Pym's insecure little mind by Jan's recent dalliance with Hawkeye (for whom there's major grief in store). Pym has used his intimate knowledge of the Vision's construction to hijack the android's body, using Stark to employ the Vision as a delivery system for erzatz versions of Pym's own 'son' and the Vision's 'father', Ultron. In the same way he got Stark drunk, Pym has microscopically introduced intoxicants into She-Hulk's system, timing them to enlarge at the same time Jack of Hearts returns to the mansion and causing her to go berserk. In a return to his irrational, vengeful form, Pym blames the avengers for his own shortcomings, and knowing that that they still don't really trust him despite the integration of his fractured personalities, he attempts to destroy them in his trademark impotent fury...

...except its not really him, because he's being magically manipulated by...

...the Scarlet Witch, who is using her probability-altering power to stop anyone noticing that Pym is far too obvious a suspect. Wanda secretly despises the Avengers due to the scant support they gave her when she lost her children, and has been re-possessed by Cthon, her resistance weakened by her tortured mental state. Despising her former husband most of all since the loss of his emotional state spared him the anguish she still feels, she makes sure he is one of the first casualties after Stark unleashes a re-constituted Jack of Hearts (who she resurrected in much the same way she brought Wonder Man back from the dead, and allowed Stark to contain in his second zero room) on the Avengers...

...except its not really her, because he's being deceived by...

...the twins themselves, Thomas and William, who are royally pissed at their parents after having been abandoned in Hell for the past few years. Mystically empowered by Master Pandemonium and masquerading as Cthon, they persuade Wanda to dispatch the Vision as emotionlessly as he dismissed them, and proceed to dupe their mother into destroying everything she holds dear...

...except its not really them, because the newly-mortal twins have been seduced by the materialistic pleasures of the mortal world and are motivated solely by base profit. they're being employed by...

...Tony Stark, whose alcoholic weaknesses have resurfaced due to the mounting pressures of...

893whatthe.gifconfused.gifblush.giffrustrated.gifscrewy.gif OOOOOKKKKKKKK????sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

A friend of mine suggested that the Scarlet Witch's twins were the ones behind it. Remember at the end of #500 there are two people in shadow talking about how there's so much more to come? I thought maybe it was SW and Quicksilver, but I barely remember the kids. He didn't know their whole story, something about them being born in West Coast Avengers, and how they only exist when Wanda thinks about them, and then John Byrne did something that completely didn't made sense. I don't know. Anyone got details on them?

Either that, or they're Gabriel and Sarah from the current ASM storyline. Twin storylines of evil twins causing problems.

A friend of mine suggested that the Scarlet Witch's twins were the ones behind it. Remember at the end of #500 there are two people in shadow talking about how there's so much more to come? I thought maybe it was SW and Quicksilver, but I barely remember the kids. He didn't know their whole story, something about them being born in West Coast Avengers, and how they only exist when Wanda thinks about them, and then John Byrne did something that completely didn't made sense. I don't know. Anyone got details on them?

Either that, or they're Gabriel and Sarah from the current ASM storyline. Twin storylines of evil twins causing problems.

If I remember correctly they were part of Master Pandemonium

Pandemonium confronted the West Coast Avengers , claiming that the twin sons of the Scarlet Witch were actually soul fragments transformed into her sons by the Scarlet Witch's spell/hex combination she used to allow herself to become pregnant. He clashed with the Avengers, but managed to destroy the twins to revive part of himself anyway. Agatha Harkness and the original Human Torch somehow retrieved the remaining two soul fragments Pandemonium needed, and once in place, Pandemonium disappeared, to be replaced by Mephisto. The demon revealed the truth about his plot, seemingly destroying Pandemonium while fully reconstituting himself. The Avengers soon escaped from Mephisto's presence.

"Intrigue? Nah. To this point it's just been a bunch of seemingly unrelated nonsensical events coupled with moments of blistering violence featuring guest-appearances from half of the Marvel Universe and the deaths of multiple characters."

Unrelated Nonsensical Events - aka Chaos. This is finally beginning to make a little sense. All of these Disassembled labeled non-avengers books have seemingly nothing to do with the Avengers storyline. But what they do have in common is total chaos, i.e. Spec. Spidey(spidey is a weird spider-creature), Thor(ragnarock,sp?), Cap. America(sleeping with Scarlet Witch and bad dreams, which I would hope normally would have led to nice dreams instead), etc.

So it would seem that the SW has gone off the deep end of sanity or is being controlled by someone else. Either way, I'm hooked and will definately be buying the next issue.