• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Awesome Shirt

40 posts in this topic

Someone should do one of that Galactus image appearing over Perth on the day of the mayan Armageddon.

Someone must have it saved - that was brilliant!

Someone should do one of that Galactus image appearing over Perth on the day of the mayan Armageddon.

Someone must have it saved - that was brilliant!

62434_131124223713320_600486219_n.jpg

Ript Apparel is offering another great 'parody' or 'homage' design for one day only...

Somehow these sites are allowed to do this. Saw this design and thought I would bump it for discussion.

This was titled "These are NOT the droids you were looking for"

https://www.riptapparel.com/?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=RIPT+Apparel&utm_content=Take+Your+Pick%2FNot+the+Droids+We+Are+Looking+For&utm_campaign=%22Take+Your+Pick%22+and+%22Not+the+Droids+We+Are+Looking+For%22++Available+Now+at+RIPT+Apparel

not-the-droids-we-are-looking-for-detail_42615_cached_thumb_-50ac5a62e8cecdbaefbf9be229c742d8.jpg

I agree... I just bought one.

Thanks for supporting theft. (thumbs u

http://files.riptapparel.com.s3.amazonaws.com/RIPT-copyright-examples.pdf

"Fair use is a provision in the U.S. Copyright Act that creates exceptions to a copyright holder’s exclusive rights. The fair use doctrine states that copyrighted works may be used for purposes such as criticism, comment, parody, news reporting, teaching, scholarship or research."

I learned something new today. I frequent many of the 24 hour t-shirt sites. Teefury, ShirtPunch, Qwertee, Limiteed, Ript and Woot. If I remember right, Ript actually did a few officially licensed shirts with Dexter and a few others a while back.

My guess is that when the shirt is up for a day, the business model is designed to fly under the radar of license holders. By the time the big machines gears start to grind, it's two weeks past the one day window the company used.

It would be hard for a judge to determine the extent of the damage to the image of a licensed property on one days' worth of sales. (which is how damages for infringement are determined) Not not mention that it wouldn't be that hard to underclaim sales for that particular day - and being able to obfuscate how much of one shirt you really sold.

I think what we are seeing now are people working the grey area of legality and leveraging their overall risk against a lawsuit alleging 24 hours worth of damages. A corporation would have to show significant damage to their image, and I think that would be a challenge when only dealing with a 24 hour window - hence the '24 hour shirt sale' websites that are up. Genius and sleazy all at the same time. Better Call Saul!

Eventually, it will catch up with those companies. Someone will get ballwhacked at then that will be the end of it. This is essentially Napster for t-shirts. I don't believe that just because it's up for 24 hours, and just because you claim it's a "parody" is not going to protect someone from selling products with anothers' licensed property on it.

Eventually, it will catch up with those companies. Someone will get ballwhacked at then that will be the end of it. This is essentially Napster for t-shirts. I don't believe that just because it's up for 24 hours, and just because you claim it's a "parody" is not going to protect someone from selling products with anothers' licensed property on it.

Trying to do this under the guise of parody wouldn't fly in court. As for damages, some of these bigger companies get nasty and will aggressively pursue anyone jacking their copyright(s). Fair Use was designed more to protect speech and education than anything else.

Ript Apparel is offering another great 'parody' or 'homage' design for one day only...

Somehow these sites are allowed to do this. Saw this design and thought I would bump it for discussion.

https://www.riptapparel.com/?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=RIPT+Apparel&utm_content=Take+Your+Pick%2FNot+the+Droids+We+Are+Looking+For&utm_campaign=%22Take+Your+Pick%22+and+%22Not+the+Droids+We+Are+Looking+For%22++Available+Now+at+RIPT+Apparel

not-the-droids-we-are-looking-for-detail_42615_cached_thumb_-50ac5a62e8cecdbaefbf9be229c742d8.jpg

Think about how many individual copyright owners could sue over the proceeds of this shirt, even for one day's sales. This isn't like one shirt with one image on it, like R2-D2, there must be 20 different characters on here with probably nearly as many license holders. It could be a nightmare.

See my biggest problem with the shirt is that the scale is all wrong when it comes to relation of size amongst characters.

They are walking a fine line. I am sure that someone has said something. I cannot imagine that someone hasn't. Lucas goes after Neil Young for having Jawas on stage during his shows a couple of decades, did he not? So I am hard pressed to see how Lucasarts doesn't say something about these things.

Edited by Buzzetta

Name those droids.

:D

T3, Wall-E, K9, Rosie, Android's Droid (if it has a name, I have no idea,) Robbie The Robot, Optimus Prime, The Maschinenmensch from Metropolis, Eve, a Cylon, Iron Giant, Robot from Castle In The Sky, Cyberman (from Dr. Who,) Invader ZIM, # 5, Bender, B-9 (the Class M-3 General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot from Lost In Space,) Marvin, and IDK what that one that looks like a cross between DC's Steel & an Aztec god

-slym

Name those droids.

:D

T3, Wall-E, K9, Rosie, Android's Droid (if it has a name, I have no idea,) Robbie The Robot, Optimus Prime, The Maschinenmensch from Metropolis, Eve, a Cylon, Iron Giant, Robot from Castle In The Sky, Cyberman (from Dr. Who,) Invader ZIM, # 5, Bender, B-9 (the Class M-3 General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot from Lost In Space,) Marvin, and IDK what that one that looks like a cross between DC's Steel & an Aztec god

-slym

Disappointed that Data from ST is absent.

Really cool to see someone else supporting this site. I haven't met anyone else that goes there, but it's a nice site. I would like to see some more artistic shirts there like they used to do

Picked up two new shirts...

Unpopular - Charlie Brown parody of what his life would be like on Facebook or Instagram with no 'likes', 'friends' or 'comments'. (I ordered it off Ript Apparel but it is now being featured on Tee Fury)

The second was something I could have seen fitting into the actual Calvin and Hobbes universe... but Watterson was so opposed to licensing and things like this that it wouldn't have seen the light of day. However, I do imagine that the Calvin of the 80's would have run around playing Hoth whenever the first snowflakes fell. (I ordered it off Ript Apparel but it is now being featured on Tee Fury)

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-03%20at%2012.23.36%20PM.png

b-mco-attack-of-the-deranged-killer-snow-walkers_sil.jpg