• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Effect of John Byrne's comments on Byrne related CGC comics

68 posts in this topic

I think ANY woman with bleached blond hair looks unnatural. Same with any woman with pale skin who does the Morticia Adams look. Hookers? That might have been a little harsh, but who cares.

Effect of Byrne's comments on the sale of Byrne CGC comics? None at all.

Don't know how to respond to Mr. Byrne's recent comments in his own forum confused.gif (please refer to http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2387&PN=1&totPosts=324 and go down to Mr. Byrne's personal reply to Jessica Alba as Sue Storm). Although every person in the United States has a right to his own opinion, his wording potentially makes him appear racist against blonde Hispanic females foreheadslap.gif. I don't think that he wanted to make himself to be against the Hispanic community, his wording was unfortunately less than optimal in expressing his opinions. I am a huge Byrne fan, and initially became an X-Men fan due to his artwork and collaboration with Mr. Claremont. Nevertheless, I have a feeling that his remarks could potentially hurt the value of any CGC comics that have Byrne artwork and/or writing frown.gif. It could also hurt his appearance at the Mid-Ohio Con this November in Columbus, Ohio. Since controversy has already been posted on the DC comics website message boards, comicon.com, and on Byrne's own website forum, I'm sure Time/Warner, the owners of DC Comics will get wind of this. If this company is anything like Viacom (owner of CBS, the ones who punished Jimmy the Greek for his comments on African Americans), they'll force Byrne to retract his statement, offer an apology, or a combination of the two. They may even force Byrne off of Doom Patrol or even cancel the book altogether. Just remember that although people have a right to their own opinions in this country, if the comments are not expressed in a tactful way, the big corporations will get rid of any potential controversy to avoid lawsuits and financial losses. Any opinions from fellow CGC collectors would be appreciated. confused-smiley-013.gif

sign-rantpost.gif Good golly, no wonder our country's in a heap of a mess. How is it that a single benign (in my opinion) comment like Byrne's ON HIS OWN MESSAGE BOARDS can snowball into a huge deal with people speculating that he'll get booted or forced to issue an apology?? Apologize for WHAT?? Expressing his own person opinion, which he clearly says is his own prejudice?

Too many people are offended by too little these days. Here are the facts of life: some people will make comments that you disagree with. Deal with it. They have a right to express their opinion and you have a right to disagree with it. And if you don't like it, ignore them, or blast them back, and live with it. They shouldn't be forced to apologize, or be fired, or blacklisted, or anything. Last time I read the Constitution there was some amendment about free speech.

Is anything John Byrne said on that Board having a direct tangible negative impact on Hispanics, women, blondes, hookers, or anything else (besides oversensitive board addicts with too much time on their hands??). That would be no.

Aye yi yi. Get a life people, and get over yourselves.

This make Hulk head hurt.

(oops, I've just offended all green people with bad grammar! Fire at will.) makepoint.gif

If someone wants to insist that Byrne's comment isn't racist but instead a comment on skin tones (the artist's eye and all that, as Joanna is pointing out), there's a slim--admittedly very slim--chance that I might buy it. But there's absolutely no way that anyone's going to convince me that Byrne's comments aren't sexist. That's an indefensible position.

Look at the subtext here; after all, we're talking about very mainstream superhero comics, the mainstay of our hobby. Men get to dress in tight pants and run around and save the world. The citizens of the fictional comicworld these characters inhabit love them for their uniqueness, their ability to stand out in a crowd, for being different. But what happens when a latino woman dyes her hair? Well, she looks like a whore.

In other words, comic men are able to rise above the stereotypes and the cultural constructions that society imposes upon them; and , in doing so, they succeed tremendously. Women, according to Byrne, aren't to be afforded that same opportunity. Just wear some tight clothes and show us your tit$.

And as far the vampire/blonde latino analogy, with all due respect...I'm sorry, but I can't see any kind of rational sense in that comparison. Apples and oranges. At what point in our culture did vampires become a marginalized, subjugated group? I know this is a comic forum and all, but need we point out that vampires aren't real?

John Byrne made a stupid, insensitive remark. Why do we have to tell comic fans who are offended to just "get over it?"

Sigh...I guess it's this kind of right-wing sensiblity that's largely kept me away from mainstream contemporary comics for many years. Only in the wake of the Reagan/Bush adminstration could a wet-dream character like The Punisher stand a chance at kicking good ole liberal Spidey's a$s. Ok, I'm getting off topic, I'll stop now. Here's some hippy flowers for you all. flowerred.gif

If someone wants to insist that Byrne's comment isn't racist but instead a comment on skin tones (the artist's eye and all that, as Joanna is pointing out), there's a slim--admittedly very slim--chance that I might buy it. But there's absolutely no way that anyone's going to convince me that Byrne's comments aren't sexist. That's an indefensible position.

Look at the subtext here; after all, we're talking about very mainstream superhero comics, the mainstay of our hobby. Men get to dress in tight pants and run around and save the world. The citizens of the fictional comicworld these characters inhabit love them for their uniqueness, their ability to stand out in a crowd, for being different. But what happens when a latino woman dyes her hair? Well, she looks like a whore.

In other words, comic men are able to rise above the stereotypes and the cultural constructions that society imposes upon them; and , in doing so, they succeed tremendously. Women, according to Byrne, aren't to be afforded that same opportunity. Just wear some tight clothes and show us your tit$.

And as far the vampire/blonde latino analogy, with all due respect...I'm sorry, but I can't see any kind of rational sense in that comparison. Apples and oranges. At one point in our culture did vampires become a marginalized, subjugated group? I know this is a comic forum and all, but need we point out that vampires aren't real?

John Byrne made a stupid, insensitive remark. Why do we have to tell comic fans who are offended to just "get over it?"

Sigh...I guess it's this kind of right-wing sensiblity that's largely kept me away from mainstream contemporary comics for many years. Only in the wake of the Reagan/Bush adminstration could a wet-dream character like The Punisher stand a chance at kicking good ole liberal Spidey's a$s. Ok, I'm getting off topic, I'll stop now. Here's some hippy flowers for you all. flowerred.gif

most of this is poke2.gif ending with a big fat foreheadslap.gif

And as far the vampire/blonde latino analogy, with all due respect...I'm sorry, but I can't see any kind of rational sense in that comparison. Apples and oranges. At one point in our culture did vampires become a marginalized, subjugated group? I know this is a comic forum and all, but need we point out that vampires aren't real?

most of this is poke2.gif ending with a big fat foreheadslap.gif

So, it doesn't qualify for master poke2.gif? confused-smiley-013.gif

Talk about much ado about nothing. Big f'in deal he said the actress who is going to play Sue Storm looks like a hispanic hooker with dyed blond hair. I think Britney Spears, Janet Jackson, and Christina Agulara (sp please don't call me a racist) look like hookers (and I like it insane.gif). Hell, most of Marvel and DCs female characters are drawn like busty bimbos and the guys are drawn like brawny himbos. I think Byrne was just making the comment to point out that it was sad that Hollywood couldn't find one talented white actress to play the part. I doubt he has a history of insensitive comments toward hispanic women, but I will stand corrected if someone has proof otherwise.

And as far the vampire/blonde latino analogy, with all due respect...I'm sorry, but I can't see any kind of rational sense in that comparison. Apples and oranges. At what point in our culture did vampires become a marginalized, subjugated group? I know this is a comic forum and all, but need we point out that vampires aren't real?

Hippy flowers? Right-wing sensibility? Puh-leez. Post a bunch of inflammatory stuff and then offer up the peace flowers. Mm-kay. Smacks of passive-aggressiveness to me.

With all due respect I think you are reading too much into this. In fact I think everyone is, that's my point.

Do you agree that because Byrne said something, which he clearly stated was his own personal predjudice, and which some people are taking to be stupid and insensitive, should result in him having to publicly apologize, get booted from Doom Patrol, or be canned altogether by Warner/DC? That is what the original post asked.

I am suggesting people "get over it" because there has been an enormous over-reaction to Byrne's comment. People are too thin-skinned these days. The slightest thing is offensive and results in gross over-reaction. Aren't there bigger things to be concerned about and spend energy and time on than being offended over a statement by John Byrne on his own message boards?

In fact, I've spent way too much time and energy ranting about this. Over and out.

I think Britney Spears, Janet Jackson, and Christina Agulara (sp please don't call me a racist) look like hookers (and I like it insane.gif).

I don't know what kind of hookers are in your town but none of them in Dallas look anything like that -- even the hispanic ones with bleached blond hair.

I don't know what kind of hookers are in your town but none of them in Dallas look anything like that -- even the hispanic ones with bleached blond hair.

Right, except they don't actually look like hookers. I hear they are somehow exempt from that. Which seems prejudicial against hookers, doesn't it?

SAVE THE HOOKERS!!!!

I didn't take offense because I have my own prejudices. I don't like long hair on men. Just a personal taste issue. To me, long hair on a man looks too feminine

mad.gif

As a former long hair ( headbang.gif ), I take great offense at your comment. "Too feminine?" I'm all man, baby, all man! insane.gif

(And yes, I did purposely eliminate the rest of her statement in the above quote. Isn't this entire thread about baiting? poke2.gif)

(And I can't believe this discussion has continued on this long. Don't you people know a troll when you see one?)

Alan

I think Britney Spears, Janet Jackson, and Christina Agulara (sp please don't call me a racist) look like hookers (and I like it insane.gif).

Well I think that someone mentioned Dolly Parton earlier and she is often quoted as saying that she always wanted to look like the "working girls" in her town. I need to move to that town. I also think that Spears has been quoted as saying that she has always looked up to Dolly so there might be a little hooker there...and yes christina does look like a hooker...I think that you might be looking at the wrong hookers there pal...check out the lady ones.. gossip.gif

Also the hookers in Vegas are often attractive. I think that everyone applies their own bias on the word hooker. To some it is a sinful occupation full of ugly people...to others it is just a job, with some nice perks.... confused-smiley-013.gif

I didn't take offense because I have my own prejudices. I don't like long hair on men. Just a personal taste issue. To me, long hair on a man looks too feminine

mad.gif

As a former long hair ( headbang.gif ), I take great offense at your comment. "Too feminine?" I'm all man, baby, all man! insane.gif

(And yes, I did purposely eliminate the rest of her statement in the above quote. Isn't this entire thread about baiting? poke2.gif)

(And I can't believe this discussion has continued on this long. Don't you people know a troll when you see one?)

Alan

Thought that this thread was a the "hug a hooker" thread...I mean who doesnt love hookers? confused-smiley-013.gif

In other words, comic men are able to rise above the stereotypes and the cultural constructions that society imposes upon them; and , in doing so, they succeed tremendously. Women, according to Byrne, aren't to be afforded that same opportunity. Just wear some tight clothes and show us your tit$

If Superman dyed his hair blonde, I think he would look like a whore.

As far as women showing their tit$, Gail Simone doesn't seem to mind in her book BOP. I find it one of the most exploitive books, drawing wise, on the market but seems it's OK because it's written by a women and the characters in the book are strong willed and independent. If you think it's sexist to call a woman a whore, try telling her she can't look like a whore. You had better get out of town.