• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Identity Crisis-Crazy Prices?

58 posts in this topic

I do feel that IC should be a Mature Readers title. If you take characters that have traditionally been in kid-safe books, characters that currently have their own Saturday morning cartoon, and place them in a more complex, mature situation, the label is a good idea.

I am amazed at movies even more than comics. What they allow in a PG-13 movie is kind of surprising, especially if I recall what I was exposed to when I was 13.

Fabfrank, you might try Invincible out on your son. It's about father-and-son superheroes, with the son about to graduate from high school. Seems like it would be a great fantasy escape for a 14-year-old. On second thought, with the truth about the father, maybe not so great.

guess it really doesn't matter since most current comic readers are 30+ years old anyways. But I think it will be a sad day when we see "Mature Readers" title on our flag ship heros like: Spider-man, X-Men, Superman and Batman. The thing that I wonder is were will comics be in 20-30 years without targeting the younger viewers

In their defense, DC and Marvel do try and develop content for that 6-15 year old audience - it's called "Marvel Age" (Marvel Age Spider-Man, Marvel Age FF, Marvel Age Hulk, Marvel Age Team-Up) and the DC Comics with the "Johnny DC" logo on them (Justice League Unlimited, The Batman Strikes, Scooby Doo, Teen Titans Go!, Powerpuff Girls, etc).

I had it in my mind the Marvel age was a limited series, sorry about that. This helps put my mind at rest a little. The Marvel age books are usualy located in the toy section of stores like Target which is nice since that is all the younger kids sees. But I still think if Current major titles are going to continue to be as mature as the IC series than there should be a Adult label 893censored-thumb.gif on them. As for me I will probly buy the rest if the IC set to complete the set but not sure if I will continue to buy current comics. I really need to take a break from buying and start reading these dang things juggle.gif

Sorry about the rant, I guess I'm a tab bit Old Fashion.

In a recent interview (linked elsewhere in the Modern forum) Quesada considers the Marvel Age line the biggest thing Marvel had going for it - and I think he realizes that it is of absolutely no interest to the majority of the comics-buying community.

What Marvel Age is doing is actually making inroads into markets like your Targets and Wal-Marts because it is kid friendly. The Marvel Age line of digests are making some movement as well at bookstores where manga is also sold... I have no way to verify this because they aren't really doing much in the direct market and there's no real tracking system for in-store sales at retail stores (or is there?).

As I said before, if these become raging successes, look for Marvel to do more and for other companies to follow suit. I wonder how DC is doing with their digests?

In a recent interview (linked elsewhere in the Modern forum) Quesada considers the Marvel Age line the biggest thing Marvel had going for it - and I think he realizes that it is of absolutely no interest to the majority of the comics-buying community.

What Marvel Age is doing is actually making inroads into markets like your Targets and Wal-Marts because it is kid friendly. The Marvel Age line of digests are making some movement as well at bookstores where manga is also sold... I have no way to verify this because they aren't really doing much in the direct market and there's no real tracking system for in-store sales at retail stores (or is there?).

As I said before, if these become raging successes, look for Marvel to do more and for other companies to follow suit. I wonder how DC is doing with their digests?

Marvel and DC are most likely losing money on their attempts to sell in these new outlets. They are paying display allowances and racking fees.They also pay co-op advertising to the major bookstores that feature their products in ads.None of which they currently offer in te Direct Market.

Marvel and DC are most likely losing money on their attempts to sell in these new outlets. They are paying display allowances and racking fees.They also pay co-op advertising to the major bookstores that feature their products in ads.None of which they currently offer in te Direct Market.

Quesada's probably just happy to get any movement/deals outside of the direct market. He's a big cheerleader most of the time.

So what do you think Shadrach... good move or bad to make (loss-leading) deals with the mainstream outlets to get the product out there and visible?

Shamefully, I can see why the don't do this with the direct market.

I have noticed the Marvel Age displays at the local Target and if the number of comics in those displays are any indication they are doing OK. They are almost always half empty. I also noticed that the ones left behind look like they have been picked up and thumbed through quite a bit. I know that is not exactly a scientific analysis however I am gald to see Marvel making attempts to get out into the mainstream market again.

OT: Happy Birthday Kevin. cool.gif

Another thing about the Marvel Age-- they just lowered the price on "Marvel Age Spider-Man Team-Up" & "Marvel Age Hulk" from $2.25 to $1.75.

I think it is the sign of the apocalypse. tongue.gif

oh, and Happy B-day Mr. Boyd. yay.gif

Overall,I'm in favor of it as it is an attempt to bring

new blood into the overall market. I can understand the companies paying these "allowances" to get into new areas.I just wish they could come up with some co-op plans for the direct market,as well.

I'm curious how involved Diamond is involved in these new distribution areas.Are they the ones distributing to these outlets or is there another entity involved?

Another thing about the Marvel Age-- they just lowered the price on "Marvel Age Spider-Man Team-Up" & "Marvel Age Hulk" from $2.25 to $1.75.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Marvel has done something right. Lower prices on the books aimed for kids is a step in the right direction.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Marvel has done something right. Lower prices on the books aimed for kids is a step in the right direction.

In this case Marvel is like a drug dealer!

Hook em on cheap comics and when they get older make em want to buy more and more

Hook em on cheap comics and when they get older make em want to buy more and more

It worked on all of us, didn't it?

Some of us are in serious denial and in dire need of rehab...

I have to hide my habit

It worked on all of us, didn't it?

Some of us are in serious denial and in dire need of rehab...

You're talking about my drinking again, aren't you? tongue.gif

Ditto! That's a great move. 893applaud-thumb.gif