• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marketwatch 10-reasons-comic-books-are-the-best-investment

86 posts in this topic

There are so many characters to mine for great stories that I believe the comic book block buster movie is here to stay. I'd love to see a Deathlok movie, a movie about the Squadron Supreme and what about when Marvel and DC decide to do Justice League vs the Avengers? While extremely difficult to imagine it happening, money talks and that would be a huge movie. You heard it here first.

V

I'd love to see a Deathlok and Squadron Supreme movie too, but they ain't gonna do $200 million+ at the domestic box office. Wolverine 2: Tokyo Drift turned out to be very formulaic in the end and I could easily see fatigue setting in at the box office over the next couple of years unless some renewed creativity gets injected into these films. I have a feeling that "Guardians of the Galaxy" could be a big budget bomb for the genre. :whistle:

In any case, as the years have rolled on, a greater and greater proportion of slabbed books have moved to the wrong side of peak pricing. Nearly all HG Bronze/Copper/Modern is past their peak, and I'd wager that a good proportion of Silver is too (by many accounts, peak pricing occurred in 2011 plus or minus a year), especially with the Brulato-Schmell mutually assured destruction arms race long over and the Census numbers swelled. I'd be curious to see if AF #15 9.6 is still a $1.1 million book now that there are several copies (as opposed to just 1 when you guys made that record sale) around.

I'd sooner invest in Metropolis' stock (if it were publicly traded) than invest in comics! I believe in your business & marketing acumen more than I do the comic book market. :foryou:

Thanks for the kind words. I am trying. Just got a call from FOX Business, I'll be on Markets Now tomorrow at 1:50pm. I can't wait.

And as for Deathlok and SS not pulling in the big bucks...That's what they said about Iron Man a few years back... ;)

Vincent, thank you for embracing these opportunities to serve as an ambassador for our hobby. Two things I notice that often get overlooked whenever collectables are compared to traditional investments are 1. Tax consequences, collectables are taxed much higher than capital gains and even sales tax applies in some circumstances both when buying and selling 2. Transaction costs, the cost of cashing in comics are much higher than say cashing out your stocks. Generally, high value comics must be sold via consignment to achieve maximum results and this typically requires a percentage directly off the top, compared to a stock trade that could be made for as little as $10 or so. I don't mean to discourage anyone from enjoying comics but any calculation of returns should consider these added costs.

He probably slabbed his favorite non-key Silver, Bronze, or Copper. Nearly all of these books not featuring Ultron-5 or Darkseid have declined in value.

Not only have most comics lost value over the past 5 years, but it's also important to remember that most comics lack liquidity. It may take years to sell a high grade SA comic featuring a top-tier hero at a strong price. Stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and precious metals can be turned into cash virtually instantly, while those comics are liable to sit and sit.

The major keys don't suffer from the same liquidity problem because they are in such high demand that they can nearly always be moved, especially if priced reasonably. Tales of Suspense #69 or Iron Man #17, not so fast.

I still think that for most collectors, a focus on acquiring books that you love, having them in your collection for a long time, and then selling them for whatever they are worth when the time comes is the favored approach. Comic books for fun and not investment. For investing, stick to traditional non-comic vehicles. And AF15.

I think in the age of the internet, books don't take "years" to sell unless they are really not in demand.

But I do think there is a problem today with people submitting EVERYTHING to CGC. You don't need to slab every issue of Superior Spider-Man or other modern books. I think in most cases, they are for a loss.

That`s what a lot of them are doing. They are slabbing this week`s comic books that come off the rack. 99 percent of those kind of comics will be found on EBay in a few years at a great discount.

Of course nobody likes to talk about that because that`s were CGC makes their most money.

I had a friend who was doing that in 2007 to 2010. He would buy all the generic modern 9.6s to 9.8s he could, then he realized he blew about 5 grand on comics that really people only wanted at a discount. Like he said he should have bought a few keys for the $5000.

So the kind of comics Vinnie is talking about are great investments, but the rest buy them if you love them. :)

I'm sorry, but I think that those who represent collectibles and antiques as 'investments' should be held to the same accountability as those who sell traditional investments as well. While I understand that this will likely never happen; but it should be noted that price manipulation within these kind of non-traditional 'investments' is rampant and most beginning 'investors' do not have the capacity or the connections to always be able to recognize these instances. If they did, they would be dealers, not just speculators doing whatever those who have a vested stake in their decisions advise. Furthermore, I think it is sad that we now call spending money an 'investment rather than what it truly is. As a successful part time (actually full time, but I also have a regular career) antiques and collectibles dealer in my mid thirties I am very worried about my generation as we grow older. A closet full of speculative items (i.e. comic books, toys, video games, and the like) is a very risky proposition to undertake in our peak earning years...

And as for Deathlok and SS not pulling in the big bucks...That's what they said about Iron Man a few years back... ;)

Iron Man may have been a B-list character as far as the comics went, but as a recognizable character with a rich history of stories to mine, he was at least a B+, if not an A-, prospect. The Punisher and Blade were more like true B-list properties (Blade fared well at the box office, though benefited from being an early mover in both the superhero and vampire trends; The Punisher, not so much), which would make Deathlok and Squadron Supreme more like C-list properties competing for mindshare in the marketplace at a time when expectations and competition in the genre are at all-time highs.

I would not be surprised to see some high-budget, high-profile comic book movies totally bomb in the next couple of years and the influence of the genre on Hollywood start to decline. Nothing stays en vogue forever - I think we have been living in the Golden Age of both comic book movies and high-end comic book collecting over the past dozen years. 2c

Iron Man may have been a B-list character as far as the comics went, but as a recognizable character with a rich history of stories to mine, he was at least a B+, if not an A-, prospect. The Punisher and Blade were more like true B-list properties (Blade fared well at the box office, though benefited from being an early mover in both the superhero and vampire trends; The Punisher, not so much), which would make Deathlok and Squadron Supreme more like C-list properties competing for mindshare in a marketplace at a time when expectations and competition in the genre are at all-time highs.

I would not be surprised to see some high-budget, high-profile comic book movies totally bomb in the next couple of years and the influence of the genre on Hollywood start to decline. Nothing stays en vogue forever - I think we have been living in the Golden Age of both comic book movies and high-end comic book collecting over the past dozen years. 2c

Yep. And Iron Man benefited immeasurably from the casting of RD, Jr.

Iron Man may have been a B-list character as far as the comics went, but as a recognizable character with a rich history of stories to mine, he was at least a B+, if not an A-, prospect. The Punisher and Blade were more like true B-list properties (Blade fared well at the box office, though benefited from being an early mover in both the superhero and vampire trends; The Punisher, not so much), which would make Deathlok and Squadron Supreme more like C-list properties competing for mindshare in a marketplace at a time when expectations and competition in the genre are at all-time highs.

And this right here is where speculators come in. You just never know what character might catch on and be popular one day. Look at all the villians and characters created in the early days of ASM. What if Dan Slott suddenly uses one out of the blue. He tells a great story and they decide to use the character in a film. Suddenly that no name issue is worth a ton. Look at Avengers 55.

That is why people slab EVERYTHING. It doesn't make sense, but who knows in 20 years if some character in Superior is going to suddenly be popular.

That's the problem. I didn't get them slabbed. Someone else did, and I made them rich. Of course, I'm talking about mostly Silver Age comics with the X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, Flash, and other significant characters. My worst investment has been GSX #1 by far, though.

That's the problem. I didn't get them slabbed. Someone else did, and I made them rich. Of course, I'm talking about mostly Silver Age comics with the X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, Flash, and other significant characters. My worst investment has been GSX #1 by far, though.

Really? Did you overpay for it? Maybe wait for the next film? A book like that will come back one day.

I bought the four cheapest 9.8s sold between 2009 and 2011. I was sure that I'd make money on them, and I needed to. Each one went for about half of what a 9.8 went for a few years earlier. Since then, I've seen about twenty copies come to market and sell for significantly less than I paid. It's been a nightmare. I suspect that lots of 9.4s and 9.6s were pressed and resubbed around the time of my purchases, because the registry count nearly doubled in 2011. 93 copies doesn't sound like many to me. I guess it is, though. I love the X-Men, but they're sending me to the poorhouse.

Iron Man may have been a B-list character as far as the comics went, but as a recognizable character with a rich history of stories to mine, he was at least a B+, if not an A-, prospect. The Punisher and Blade were more like true B-list properties (Blade fared well at the box office, though benefited from being an early mover in both the superhero and vampire trends; The Punisher, not so much), which would make Deathlok and Squadron Supreme more like C-list properties competing for mindshare in the marketplace at a time when expectations and competition in the genre are at all-time highs.

I agree with everything you said except I wouldn't lump blade in with the punisher. Blade was an incredibly esoteric short lived character, dredged up by a writer who had enjoyed him as while the punisher spawned multiple titles and had name recognition before his big screen appearances.

I'm really only familiar with an X-Men Annual #1 warehouse find. So many people have said GSX #1 was a warehouse find, though, that I tend to believe it now. Where is the evidence? Sorry to derail the thread, but I was told that GSX #1 would be a great investment by someone like Vincent. Now, I'm looking at a significant financial loss with a baby on the way. Wonderful.

Maybe high grade keys isn't the way to go? I've always felt that 9.6 and 9.8 copies were just so over priced. The market on those books is tiny because the average collector just can't afford the book.

The way to go, in my opinion, is mid grade books. They might not appreciate as quickly, but they will gain money. Heck, look at AF 15s today. Low grade copies continue to climb. I think the same can said for books like Avengers 1 and FF 1.

I'd imagine with a book like GSX 1 that is a fluke. A warehouse find doesn't happen every day. Now you are stuck in the waiting game unfortunately. It'd just take a lot longer for them to appreciate, but they will eventually. Or does someone that knows the market better disagree?

I agree with everything you said except I wouldn't lump blade in with the punisher. Blade was an incredibly esoteric short lived character, dredged up by a writer who had enjoyed him as while the punisher spawned multiple titles and had name recognition before his big screen appearances.

That writer was David S. Goyer the same man who wrote the Nolan Batman Trilogy! A stroke of luck for the Blade character.

Thanks for digging up those threads. I'm not convinced that GSXs were a major find with the Mile High II collection. I think that was the X-Men Annual #1, but could be wrong. Regarding Heritage, yes, that sounds familiar now. I suspect that the individuals who suckered me into buying my copies already knew about the warehouse find. Does anyone know when Heritage made their discovery? By the way, I do have a perfectly centered copy with white pages, if anyone with Iron Man #55 (whatever that is) money is interested. :)

I'm really only familiar with an X-Men Annual #1 warehouse find. So many people have said GSX #1 was a warehouse find, though, that I tend to believe it now. Where is the evidence? Sorry to derail the thread, but I was told that GSX #1 would be a great investment by someone like Vincent. Now, I'm looking at a significant financial loss with a baby on the way. Wonderful.

Not to be dismissive of your worries, but unless you spent into the 5 figures (or such) on your GSX 1 investment, it's no big loss -- it will absolutely pale in comparison with what you are about to be spending in the next 2 years on a new baby. Good luck and good health to your family!