• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Question

31 posts in this topic

Trying to identify a dealer I've seen at a lot of cons in Toronto and other northeast cities. He has books stacked on a table with no real rhyme or reason, many of them unbagged. Seems to have an interesting mix of old stuff, but I can't be bothered to sift through the piles. He also is not very friendly when asking to look at books on his wall and seems to be preoccupied talking to people he knows most of the time. I'm sure he's well known to many of you.

Thin, average height, a little eccentric looking, kind of messy hair. Deep loud voice. Last show I saw him at was Detroit Fanfare at the Hyatt last year. He flipped out on someone who was reaching for a book on his wall.

Thanks for the info, that's the name I'm looking for. I've asked to look at books off his wall a few times and always get a kick out of his reactions and how he handles his own books. Never bought from him though cause nothing is ever priced.

How does he stay in business with his attitude and reputation? Does anyone ever buy from him?

I have, but only $1-$3 SA/BA readers at shows back in the '90s.

I tried to buy a lower grade Young Allies from him once 20 years ago or so. After an hour or so of listening to him bloviate and pontificate (all very entertaining and generally good-natured, btw), I still don't think we'd arrived at...um, y'know...how much he actually wanted me to pay for the book (which I never did buy).

He's a character, all right, and not everybody's cuppa, but I think he's a hoot...

BIE.

I wouldn't go quite that far...he's forgotten more about comics, ca. 1933 - 1980, than most younger dealers have ever known, or will ever know. His disposition and practices clearly put some people off, I agree, but the guy knows his stuff...

How does he stay in business with his attitude and reputation? Does anyone ever buy from him?

I have bought some books off of him.

One thing I can say is he often has books no one else does.

I have bought some books off of him.

One thing I can say is he often has books no one else does.

There you go.

Yep. Gotta be.

Did he have a sport coat on? Was he reading a newspaper?

Yeah I had an interesting exchange with him at Florida supercon. I asked him for a price on a raw batman #1. He gives me a look and responds "that's something only the buyer would know." He could tell I was clearly irritated by his response and says well it's over $10,000. Well I searched his website and found the price for the bats.

And yes, when I asked him this, I interrupted him while he was reading a newspaper. Although he does have an impressive ga collection. It was my first time seeing batman 1-5 in person. Amazing.

I know cons must be stressful on dealers and you have to deal with so many people/personalities.

Trying to identify a dealer I've seen at a lot of cons in Toronto and other northeast cities. He has books stacked on a table with no real rhyme or reason, many of them unbagged. Seems to have an interesting mix of old stuff, but I can't be bothered to sift through the piles. He also is not very friendly when asking to look at books on his wall and seems to be preoccupied talking to people he knows most of the time. I'm sure he's well known to many of you.

Gotta be Richie.