• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Book Stinks

28 posts in this topic

So I just received a copy of Strange Confessions 1. It was advertised as VG/FN and I think perhaps it is slightly overgraded, but not terribly and I don't mind the price even if it's a half-grade lower. So no complaints there.

However, there's a problem: it was a powerful stench to it. I've had a couple other GA books that had a strong chemical smell, but this one is so potent (and more a combination of mildew and chemicals) I'm not sure I want it getting near any other books. You can smell it from a few feet away.

A few questions:

Have you had this happen before?

Would it benefit the book to let it air out for a while (maybe a few months?) Maybe just set it on a table somewhere and let it "breathe"? Maybe put a clear bag on top of it to keep dust off.

If you were selling the book, would you note this and how do you think it affects grade? I imagine CGC wouldn't count it at all since it would be in a slab.

I bought an issue of Mystery In Space to fill a gap in my run, and while it was really nice structurally, it strongly smelled of kerosene. The seller told me it was from what he referred to as the 'furnace collection', as the books were stacked for decades right next to the basement oil furnace.

After being kept in a separate room for a few weeks, the stench was no weaker. Even sealed in mylar and backed with two boards, the book stank. There was no way it could be kept next to other comics in good conscience. My eventual solution was to have CGC seal it up in a slab.

I bought an issue of Mystery In Space to fill a gap in my run, and while it was really nice structurally, it strongly smelled of kerosene. The seller told me it was from what he referred to as the 'furnace collection', as the books were stacked right next to the basement oil furnace.

Even sealed in mylar and backed with two boards, the book stank. There was no way it could be kept next to other comics in good conscience. My eventual solution was to have CGC seal it up in a slab.

Was the smell noted on the label?

So I just received a copy of Strange Confessions 1. It was advertised as VG/FN and I think perhaps it is slightly overgraded, but not terribly and I don't mind the price even if it's a half-grade lower. So no complaints there.

However, there's a problem: it was a powerful stench to it. I've had a couple other GA books that had a strong chemical smell, but this one is so potent (and more a combination of mildew and chemicals) I'm not sure I want it getting near any other books. You can smell it from a few feet away.

A few questions:

Would it benefit the book to let it air out for a while (maybe a few months?) Maybe just set it on a table somewhere and let it "breathe"? Maybe put a clear bag on top of it to keep dust off.

If you were selling the book, would you note this and how do you think it affects grade? I imagine CGC wouldn't count it at all since it would be in a slab.

There are a few threads here, somewhere, that talk about removing the scent from comics. I haven't been able to dig one up, but it was something about placing it in a container with some material (charcoal I think) that would remove the smell.

There are a few threads here, somewhere, that talk about removing the scent from comics. I haven't been able to dig one up, but it was something about placing it in a container with some material (charcoal I think) that would remove the smell.

Right. Charcoal or kitty litter seems to work.

I bought an issue of Mystery In Space to fill a gap in my run, and while it was really nice structurally, it strongly smelled of kerosene. The seller told me it was from what he referred to as the 'furnace collection', as the books were stacked right next to the basement oil furnace.

Even sealed in mylar and backed with two boards, the book stank. There was no way it could be kept next to other comics in good conscience. My eventual solution was to have CGC seal it up in a slab.

Nope. Don't know about the grader's notes.

Charcoal is an excellent idea. Baking soda would be another (it works pretty well in the 'fridge).

I tried the kitty litter thing and it didn't work for me - but lots of people have mentioned that it's pretty effective. I have not tried charcoal - will have to do that...

Get a big tupperware bin with a lid. Put the book in there with a few boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda. Trash the bag/board it was stored in, and just use a new backing board to rest the book flat.

You may need to change the boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda several times and repeat this, but this does remove a lot of the odour. There may well be a permanent residue, and if that's the case, the best you can do is lift away as much of it.

I'm surprised no one else asked, because one of the things I always check for, especially on older books is odour. To your knowledge, is this a book that has been restored?

Get a big tupperware bin with a lid. Put the book in there with a few boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda. Trash the bag/board it was stored in, and just use a new backing board to rest the book flat.

You may need to change the boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda several times and repeat this, but this does remove a lot of the odour. There may well be a permanent residue, and if that's the case, the best you can do is lift away as much of it.

I'm surprised no one else asked, because one of the things I always check for, especially on older books is odour. To your knowledge, is this a book that has been restored?

The book is specifically labeled as Unrestored, but who knows?

Structurally it looks like a VG to VG+ and if anyone restored it they were wasting their time.

Flipping through it, there look to be some signs of mildewing/mold on the pages. Not a lot, just a few flecks and discolorations here and there.

A few questions:

I have absolutely had books which, unfortunately, reeked - mildew smell most often. If the book looks OK, it is not a lost cause by any means. Sealing in a bag with charcoal packets has worked wonders for me, taken 100% of the odor away (I've left in bags sealed for like 3 months, perhaps overkill.) Some like to use kitty litter, same principle. Smelly odor books are by no means shot. :)

I tried the kitty litter thing and it didn't work for me - but lots of people have mentioned that it's pretty effective. I have not tried charcoal - will have to do that...

Definitely charcoal will help! :)

I have a book that is so strong with mothball odor it will knock you down.

I've had it in a lidded glass casserole dish full of baking soda for about 3 months and the smell is much better now.

Absolutely right, the only thing I might also suggest is charcoal packets, either in addition to or instead of arm & hammer. You won't do any harm to the book and it may 100% improve. The key I think is to seal things up for a time.

No idea if charcoal would work on a kerosene book though. It does the trick on musty/mildew! And by that I don't mean the gently musty odor of old comics (which I love) but really offensive odors, too pungent, etc.

Haha I was going to ask the same thing. What kind of grade did it get? I'd love to see if it was on the graders notes.

I'm surprised no one else asked, because one of the things I always check for, especially on older books is odour.

Same.

I'd like to think that I look like a wine connoisseur when I sniff a book at a convention but I fear that I just look a bit silly.

Connoisseur_zps5bd71a13.jpg

charcoal packets is the way to go, also if it's moldy you may want to stick it in the freezer for a couple of days so it will kill the mold from growing

I always thought the heat from a press would kill off the mold but it doesn't seem to work.

charcoal packets is the way to go, also if it's moldy you may want to stick it in the freezer for a couple of days so it will kill the mold from growing

Just be careful - deep-freezes can be so cold they will suck moisture out of the pages of the book, letting it form ice crystals that can melt and cause water spots after the book warms up.

-slym