• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPA i have some questions.

20 posts in this topic

I know that some of the folks from GPA read some of this stuff, and I have some questions for anyone who wants to answer them.

Does GPA figure in sales on the boards?

Does GPA figure in sales on ebay?

Does GPA figure in sales on everything?

I can see how super hot books go up quickly, but how about not so hot books, are they represented well in GPA?

are there prices for SS books and universal books?

I had an account for a few months but wasn't using it enough to warrant keeping it, but I did enjoy it some, and have wondered about these questions for awhile.

thanks for all your help and for CGCmod0 thanks for not moving this to the WC, oh wait, you will. thanks for your understanding.

In answer to your questions

No

Yes eBay was their primary offering when they started

No. For example ComicLink doesn't report to GPA (to my eternal frustration)

There are prices for anything CGC graded. Universal, SS, restored, etc.

I can see how super hot books go up quickly, but how about not so hot books, are they represented well in GPA?

Dont know what "represented well" means but GPA has what about 10-11 years (I think I've seen data from 2002 sales) worth of data, so even for books that sell less often you can get a feel for the market value of the book over time. If there were sales (from the data points they pull from) they'll be in GPA.

I had an account for a few months but wasn't using it enough to warrant keeping it, but I did enjoy it some, and have wondered about these questions for awhile.

honestly I dont understand how you dont know the answer to these questions if you were using GPA for multiple months. If you enjoyed it sure you poked around looking at data....

I dont know their full list of data but they capture ebay, heritage comic connect, and others (they dont accept info on individual sales, the board sales, and ComicLInk has rejected their advances). They have nearly 1.5 million transactions in their database.

I dont know their full list of data but they capture ebay, heritage comic connect, and others (they dont accept info on individual sales, the board sales, and ComicLInk has rejected their advances). They have nearly 1.5 million transactions in their database.

I think ComicLink wanted to cherry pick the data they submitted.

Can't you just submit your own data that's what I did, and some of the comics were from CL?

I think you were able to at one point (I could swear I submitted something) but that's gone.

Obviously individual sales subbed by individuals is just asking for market manipulation and has a high overhead if there has to be some validation.

No

thank you very much!

No

What will GPA do when books are sold as a group such as Wolverine mini series 1-4 all in 9.8 on ebay?

No

What will GPA do when books are sold as a group such as Wolverine mini series 1-4 all in 9.8 on ebay?

they dont include it in their records.

I won a Bronze copper slab lot (5 slabs) in a sparklecity auction a few months back.

nothing gets recorded in GPA, cant parse out the value of each book.

Dont know what "represented well" means but GPA has what about 10-11 years (I think I've seen data from 2002 sales) worth of data, so even for books that sell less often you can get a feel for the market value of the book over time. If there were sales (from the data points they pull from) they'll be in GPA.

honestly I dont understand how you dont know the answer to these questions if you were using GPA for multiple months. If you enjoyed it sure you poked around looking at data....

I actually had it I think for 4 months, but only used it like half an hour, cut it off and started wondering about some of the more obscure books that I have might be listed? U.S.1(u remember, the trucker comic from marvel), the run of Paradise X(because it had luther manning's deathlok in it), stuff that nobody else wanted and stuff that doesn't show up on ebay or anywhere else I know of.

I hate that they don't take into account Comiclink, it seems it would be a beneficial point to both parties, and as for sales on the boards, it seems that if they could be verified by more than one person perhaps with some physical documentation, they could be taken into account.

but im just thinkin out loud, sorry bout that.

I assume GPA is not an actively manned service. Someone developed the site, set up the data base querying and reporting and now it "runs itself" (which is a ridiculous oversimplification, but in general terms).

Adding any sort of manual or human verification would exponentially increase their overhead/labor costs.

FWIW, George posts here (or did, I've barely posted for 2 years so I don't know who's still around) as gpanalysis, so it's not a mystery who's behind the site. He's been pretty forthcoming about the decisions he's made and why things are done a certain way.

There are definitely automated parts of the process. Dealers that take part provide a feed for GPA in ingest. That's how the data gets in. There is a monitoring and editing process that takes part after the data goes in. You see corrections pop up in listings all the time.

Can't you just submit your own data that's what I did, and some of the comics were from CL?

What you're talking about is adding sales to the "My Comics" part of GPA - you can use that area to keep track of your own comic purchases.

These sales records can only be seen by you, though - it's not like they get merged in with the "real" GPA data.

What you're talking about is adding sales to the "My Comics" part of GPA - you can use that area to keep track of your own comic purchases.

These sales records can only be seen by you, though - it's not like they get merged in with the "real" GPA data.

sorry but "real" data doesn't seem to be there. if I sell an astonishing tales 25 for 350 bucks, and it doesn't reflect that sale, then the numbers are skewed.

it is the best thing going for graded books though.

at least they don't hoard books up and then set prices higher on ones that they have hundreds of copies of(Overstreet made this famous, Wizard perfected it)

No data source is perfect. It's by far the best data source we've had and unless we somehow go to an environment where everyone has to sell through some sort of clearinghouse mechanism and everyone always has to sell CGC graded books, it's the best source we'll ever have.

I've been a subscriber for I don't even know how many years. It's like paying for the lights or my internet.

Good to see you posting Rob! (thumbs u

I'm just happy I have time to again. I've actually been pretty sane, schedule wise since last November, but I never got back into the habit of checking back in here. Now the tab is just open most days :cloud9:

sorry but "real" data doesn't seem to be there. if I sell an astonishing tales 25 for 350 bucks, and it doesn't reflect that sale, then the numbers are skewed.

it is the best thing going for graded books though.

at least they don't hoard books up and then set prices higher on ones that they have hundreds of copies of(Overstreet made this famous, Wizard perfected it)

Overstreet had a great collection and people have raised questions about potential conflicts of interest from the beginning of the OPG. Never heard of him having hundreds of copies of individual books, though. Could you elaborate? hm