• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I will never look at the end of ''The Killing Joke'' the same way again.

257 posts in this topic

I've never even considered the idea that he kills the joker at the end. Interesting concept, though. Looking at it now, I can see why some believe that. I'm assuming Alan Moore hasn't gone on record about what happens at the end, or we wouldn't be having this conversation? All I know is, Tony Soprano dies at the end of the finale, Shane is dead on his horse, and there's no way that was a munchkin hanging himself in the background of the Wizard of Oz!

That didn't make it to Australia! Is there supposed to be a dead actor somewhere in the Wizard of Oz?

I'd imagine most of them are by now.

I think I just watched something on the news last week that a munchkin died, and there's only two left. Anyway, there's a scene in the wizard of oz, I don't remember which one, where it looks like you can see the shadow of a small person in the background. It looks like he/she/it jumps down a bit, then swings from a rope around its neck. The rumor was, it was a disgruntled munchkin committing suicide. It's malarkey, just like the ghost kid with the shotgun in Three Men and a Baby.

. Would DC have let him have Batman kill the Joker? Even in a story out of continuity? No way!

Ummm...well....ya seee...the thing is....ummm....the let Batman kill the Joker a couple years before this in a story out of continuity.

jokerdead_zpsf74060c3.png

. Would DC have let him have Batman kill the Joker? Even in a story out of continuity? No way!

Ummm...well....ya seee...the thing is....ummm....the let Batman kill the Joker a couple years before this in a story out of continuity.

But Batman didn't kill him, the joker finished himself off. But your point is still valid, seeing how Bats basically stabbed the joker in the eye with a batarang, then snapped his neck.

But Batman didn't kill him, the joker finished himself off. But your point is still valid, seeing how Bats basically stabbed the joker in the eye with a batarang, then snapped his neck.

Right it's basically a Batman story where he finally, permanently, ends the Joker.

Isn't that the Joker killing himself at the end of DKR 3? I don't know how exactly how that works from a physics and anatomy standpoint, but the dialogue suggests that the Joker calls Bats a chicken for not having the nerve to kill him, and then proceeds to twist and break his own spine (at the neck?), leaving him dead. "With a devil's strength he twists..." I think is Batman's speaking about the Joker, not a third person narrator (I believe all the narration is from a first-person perspective in the series).

I'm glad someone finally mentioned it in this thread. :whistle:

Isn't that the Joker killing himself at the end of DKR 3? I don't know how exactly how that works from a physics and anatomy standpoint, but the dialogue suggests that the Joker calls Bats a chicken for not having the nerve to kill him, and then proceeds to twist and break his own spine (at the neck?), leaving him dead. "With a devil's strength he twists..." I think is Batman's speaking about the Joker, not a third person narrator (I believe all the narration is from a first-person perspective in the series).

I always read it as Batman, for all intents and purposes, killed him. Snapped his spine, stabbed in the eye, left in the sewer for dead...or worse. The joker only hastens what Batman did to him in a slow way.

But the point of posting it was, they had already allowed Batman and Joker face off (prior to KJ) in a life or death battle where one of them wound up dead. It was out of continuity, but it was an end that many people said DC would never allow....yet there it is.

I always read it as Batman, for all intents and purposes, killed him. Snapped his spine, stabbed in the eye, left in the sewer for dead...or worse. The joker only hastens what Batman did to him in a slow way.

But the point of posting it was, they had already allowed Batman and Joker face off (prior to KJ) in a life or death battle where one of them wound up dead. It was out of continuity, but it was an end that many people said DC would never allow....yet there it is.

It's much like in the Superman movie when he kills Zod.

In practice, it's the hero that commits the deed but ultimately it's the villain that kills himself, because our hero comes to the grim reality that it's the only way he can be stopped.

It's interesting, but I never once thought that he killed him. As someone else mentioned, it was a light-hearted moment between the two.

Great catch on the "camera" zooming in.

It does make sense that Moore would've left it open to some interpretation, but I don't think he would've killed him. At least at that point. He's many things, but he's not a killer.

By the time DKR would've rolled around, he may have (even though he didn't technically killer the Joker there either). He didn't even kill the mutant leader. He beat him and let the other mutants finish him off. He was cold and hard by that point, but he still wasn't a killer.

I love that it's so open to interpretation.

Just what I was about to say!

While most comics are forgotten, literally, as they are being read, this one endures. It was the perfect combination of Hall of Fame caliber writer and artist both at the peak of their powers crafting something so potent and concentrated that it felt then and feels now like a punch in the guts.

+1 again.

I read it the same as everyone else. The end bugged me (I still like closure in my entertainment!). Until someone suggest the other possibility. It gave me chills. I re-read the book and gained a whole new appreciation for ambiguity. The ending is perfect now.

I love that it's so open to interpretation. While most comics are forgotten, literally, as they are being read, this one endures. It was the perfect combination of Hall of Fame caliber writer and artist both at the peak of their powers crafting something so potent and concentrated that it felt then and feels now like a punch in the guts.

If released today, this story would have been a 3-6 issue arc and, as soon as people latched onto it, it would be stretched to 12 issues and crossover into 10 other books and diluted and watered down until there was nothing left but tasteless mush.

This post made me laugh because it's so true. (thumbs u

I remember picking up all my regular books the day The Killing Joke came out and reading it as soon as I got home. The high-quality impact was a "punch in the guts" just as you say. I immediately got back in my car, drove back to the store and bought every copy left in their counter-top display. :blush:

Still stashed somewhere around here. If I had it to do all over I'd have bought the display-holder too. lol

I do think that that yellow line represents the difference between the Batman and Joker.

Batman chooses to cross that line and murder the Joker.

I've never even considered the idea that he kills the joker at the end. Interesting concept, though. Looking at it now, I can see why some believe that. I'm assuming Alan Moore hasn't gone on record about what happens at the end, or we wouldn't be having this conversation? All I know is, Tony Soprano dies at the end of the finale, Shane is dead on his horse, and there's no way that was a munchkin hanging himself in the background of the Wizard of Oz!

That didn't make it to Australia! Is there supposed to be a dead actor somewhere in the Wizard of Oz?

I think I just watched something on the news last week that a munchkin died, and there's only two left. Anyway, there's a scene in the wizard of oz, I don't remember which one, where it looks like you can see the shadow of a small person in the background. It looks like he/she/it jumps down a bit, then swings from a rope around its neck. The rumor was, it was a disgruntled munchkin committing suicide. It's malarkey, just like the ghost kid with the shotgun in Three Men and a Baby.

Never heard that one - thanks for that mate (thumbs u

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/ozsuicide.asp

I didn't catch it and I read it fairly recently, last year I think. It seemed like an odd ending to me. Looked like Batman reached out and placed a hand on his shoulder. But I thought something must be up with the off panel stuff. Their feet disappear in that second to last panel, never knew why the ending was the way it was.

That is no bird. I don't see a Munchkin either. Looks like a witch hanging to me.

watch this clip. its completely different from the hanging munchkin clip. I dont know which is the real clip, but its weird to me how both are so totally different., so one must be a fake.