• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st App. of Nova...?

56 posts in this topic

The Dutch spell it that way.

Since we are talking about Nova but the Dutch have come up, I would like to tell you about my time in a Dutch Youth Hostel when I was younger....but I think its too rude...so I cant. Lets just say there are images seared into my mind that thankfully will never leave..... :whee:

Have you considered the possibility the promo piece ran in other books published the same month?

Absolutely, thats why I'm asking. I looked around and I don't have any other books from April of '76.

I found the same Bullpen Bulletin in Marvel Team-Up #44 cover dated April 1976.

Yeah Ads and previews dont count but are must haves for the fans of a character. After reading this I got mys self a copy. When it came out that Venom had some early app in Web of Spiderman (His hands etc) I had to get a copy being a big Venom fan.

Well, however, one thing is a story preparing or implying the arrival of a character (i.e. Fantastic Four #64-66 for Warlock) and one are the ads.

Ads are nice but less important, although they offer a glimpse on the perception the anticipation had at the time, and that’s really cool (I am thinking of the Black Panther one).

As we all know now, the first appearance of Nova was in the hand-drawn artwork to the "Photon the Human Rocket" character work I sent in to Marvel as a kid. Spot-on with Nova's costume, and his lower body even disappeared when flying.

I am not saying they stole it, but when I saw Nova 12/ASM 171 two-parter, it certainly made me go .. Hmmmm. hm

300px-Nova_Vol_1_12.jpg300px-Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_171.jpg

Its NOVA #1. Sneak previews dont count, otherwise Superman's first app would be Detective Comics #15 - which has an ad for Action #1.

True, that's why I said this on pg 1.:

Note: I should not have titled this thread "1st App." , but rather "1st Depiction"....my bad.

I was curious if it was the first drawing released, not true first appearence. Either way, thanks everyone for chiming in, I think it's clear now that this add ran in several books during that month. Thanks!

No i think this conversation has pretty much wound down, it was a curiousity question, with no hidden agenda. I didn't have any other issues from April '76 around and I didn't know if that particular IM issue was unique or not. Now I know that it's not. Problem solved :)

Pretty good, especially when the dramatic aspects increases as Richard Rider is put more and more under pressure and strives to keep his secret identity while trying not to endanger his loved ones.

I have a soft spot for the late issues, because they anticipate the "Champions of Xandar" storyline (featuring the Sphynx) which would have been completed on the pages of Fantastic Four because of the title cancellation. (#25 terminates quite abruptly pointing to the FF).