• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My thoughts on my free comic, "The Ghost of Kareema-lou"

24 posts in this topic

Awhile back, board member "Beau" offered a free comic book from "Golden Hour Comics". Apparently he is in collaboration on this book. I asked for one and received one in the mail last week.

From PM's between Beau and I, apparently Columbia Comics was handling getting these books out to those interested. I got mine in 9.6 condition. Which is very good considering the cover is black and white, with a very dark spine.

Many know that I seldom read comic books. But Beau asked me to give my thoughts on the book, and I did receive it for free. So, the very least I could do is read it and express my thoughts on it.

I like the cover a lot. Black and white, (so is the interior). Which lends itself to making the story even more ghoulish and scary.

The artwork is very nice. Quality work which almost tells the story just by the pictures alone. I like the premise of the story. Reminds me of golden age horror books, with modern day language.

The story is for "mature readers", and should be. It is not for kids. The black and white also lends itself well to the blood panels. Lots of blood, and some shocking storyline that most comic books would not touch with a ten foot pole.

I don't want to give out too much spoiler information. But I will say this. It is worth obtaining this comic book for any collection owned by an adult. In my opinion, I would rate the artwork as very, very good, and the writing as very good. It could have been better if the story had dragged out a few more pages. To build up the ending.

But my imagination filled in the missing parts well, and I enjoyed it. You will too.

Thanks to Beau and Columbia Comics, board members. I was told I might receive an invoice for the shipping charges, but never did. Even when I asked about it again.

My only sore point about this whole adventure, was that I had to open my brand new comic book, and read it. :eek: I never do that. :pullhair:

Thanks guys. I have seen books from bigger companies, that didn't come close to this quality. I expect good things in the future, from Golden Hour Comics, if this book is any indication.

I got mine, too. I have a similar complaint. I enjoyed it, but I wish it were just a little more drawn out. I kept going over ways to make the reveal play out slower. But it was just as good as the teaser made out.

Apparently my girlfriend met beau and i didnt. I did however read his comic on the way from charlotte and thought it was great.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! It was a ray of sunshine (but don't feel bad about throwing a few clouds in there for those of you who didn't like it :) All feedback is appreciated. )

FWIW, I agree about drawing out the 'reveal' and the story in general...the -script went through many iterations, and was a full-length 22-pager before we chopped it down to 11 pages. We did so for many reasons (trying to get into an anthology, keeping in tune with the length of GA/SA/BA short stories, etc). As a writer, I'm always going to want more room to tell a story, but this was a good exercise for me in learning to be the soul of brevity. I go more into it on our blog, especially the post that talks about killing your babies .

For those of you who didn't ask for a copy but still want to see what the brouhaha is about, click RIGHT HERE to see the free flip book we put up for your viewing enjoyment. Feel free to check out the other posts on the blog as well, many of them talk about the creative process of making 'The Ghost of Kareema-Lou'.

I expect good things in the future, from Golden Hour Comics, if this book is any indication.

Thanks, brother. We're working feverishly on our next project right now, called "When Hell is Full". It's a very long serialized webcomic to which we're going to apply all the lessons we learned from making TGoKL. As we mentioned in other posts on the blog, TGoKL was basically a litmus test to make sure Pat & I could work together well on a project before we dove in headfirst on the gargantuan "When Hell is Full". From the responses thus far, it looks like we did just fine. :D The launch date for WHiF is currently set for September 1, but due to my health issues we may not make it on that date exactly. However, we'll do our damnedest to make it happen as close to that date as possible!

I got my copie a few days ago.Thank you Brock,Beau and the crew.

I liked it.I would buy this off the stands.The story and art really worked together.A Miller Daredevil kind of thing(If you know me that is a huge compliment).Keep up the good work!

Dennis

I got my copy in the mail a few weeks ago when I was on my way out of town, and put it on my coffee table on the way through the door.

When I got back I've been busy and had completely forgotten about it until this thread popped up so I read it this morning.

Fan-F'ing-Tastic

The story is great and the artwork is superb. I've wanted to do my own comic for a long time and you guys set the bar WAY up there.

Thanks for sending me a copy. Anyone who doesn't have a copy and is envious of mine, I only have this to say.

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

I got my copie a few days ago.Thank you Brock,Beau and the crew.

I liked it.I would buy this off the stands.The story and art really worked together.A Miller Daredevil kind of thing(If you know me that is a huge compliment).Keep up the good work!

Dennis

:applause:

Beau was nice enough to give me dozens of copies...so I have plenty to go around.

The reason no one received an invoice for shipping was b/c I took SO DAMN LONG to get them in the mail....so I just covered all the shipping myself.

A small price to pay....

Again, I have plenty (and have been sending them out with eBay winnings) so get them while I still have them!