• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Wilson and PGC

96 posts in this topic

Actually, as you'll know Rob, it is often the canvas that is not original. Some masterpieces have been transferred to new canvasses by literally sanding away the canvas from the back leaving the layers of paint untouched.

The varnish on old paintings tends to darken. This too is often removed - and at times the brightness of the underlying colors surprises.

In the Victorian era it was assumed that Renaissance artists deliberately varnished their paintings to subdue the brightness of the palette. A whole aesthetic developed around this.

Imagine the shock and horror of seeing Michelangelo and Raphael paintings revealed to have used bright primary colors in much the same way that the statues of the Parthenon were painted in strong colors that obscured the fine anatomical modelling so cherished by the Renaissance!

History is a game of shadows.

Actually, as you'll know Rob, it is often the canvas that is not original. Some masterpieces have been transferred to new canvasses by literally sanding away the canvas from the back leaving the layers of paint untouched.

The varnish on old paintings tends to darken. This too is often removed - and at times the brightness of the underlying colors surprises.

In the Victorian era it was assumed that Renaissance artists deliberately varnished their paintings to subdue the brightness of the palette. A whole aesthetic developed around this.

Imagine the shock and horror of seeing Michelangelo and Raphael paintings revealed to have used bright primary colors in much the same way that the statues of the Parthenon were painted in strong colors that obscured the fine anatomical modelling so cherished by the Renaissance!

For sure, you can see that side by side in museums. Paintings that have been cleaned up pop like crazy with that vibrant palette and dirty/old varnish paintings look like they're from a different world.

For sure, you can see that side by side in museums. Paintings that have been cleaned up pop like crazy with that vibrant palette and dirty/old varnish paintings look like they're from a different world.

What will be the view on restored comics two generations from now I wonder? What do you think?

In the 80's and early 90's there really wasn't that much of a fuss about resto..... in fact many people shopped for books that had good resto potential. If I remember correctly.... Gerber's PhotoJournals, I believe, that had a graph that showed how much of a value INCREASE that one could expect for different grades of books with different degrees of restoration performed. There was nothing nefarious intended at all..... it was pretty open. Unfortunately, many collectors couldn't tell the difference(..and still can't) and bought them without asking or knowing. Some of Anderson's books were purchased by him with color touch already there. Every book I ever bought from Mark was sharp.... I've seen many of the more distinctive ones resurfacing in blue holders. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... for the record, I still prefer unrestored and note it if I'm aware, when I make a sale.

.....I avoided restored books in the early 90's because, quite frankly, the rice paper felt stiff and the color touch was barely close.... I didn't appreciate GOOD resto until I saw Matt Nelson's work.

I think there wasn`t much fuss because back then there was no internet. In fact a lot of non-comic book shady stuff there was a no fuss about. The internet exposed a lot of stuff to a world wide audience that was only whispered about.

Hail the internet for exposing the truth! lol

No, there wasn't much fuss about it because comics were not nearly as expensive as they were today and resto was being touted as being a good thing and even possibly improving the value of a comic.

People could get away with not disclosing certain secrets back then much more then they can now. Today,word spreads fast if somebody tries to pull a fast one much quicker on the net,then thru long forgotten comic book lcs/conventions of 25-30 years ago. :preach:

Yep,but with those paintings there is public knowledge about the restoration. That`s a lot different then somebody trying to pull a fast one about a comic book not being restored 20 to 30 years ago. The museums are on the up and up, and not being shady. Before CGC there was a few dealers who were not being scrupulous about if their comic books were restored.

Yep,but with those paintings there is public knowledge about the restoration. That`s a lot different then somebody trying to pull a fast one about a comic book not being restored 20 to 30 years ago. The museums are on the up and up, and not being shady. Before CGC there was a few dealers who were not being scrupulous about if their comic books were restored.

For sure. Even beyond that many museums do special exhibitions that talk about the restoration and conservation process. There's an education component that's very important to the caretakers of these sometimes priceless objects.

In the 80's and early 90's there really wasn't that much of a fuss about resto..... in fact many people shopped for books that had good resto potential. If I remember correctly.... Gerber's PhotoJournals, I believe, that had a graph that showed how much of a value INCREASE that one could expect for different grades of books with different degrees of restoration performed. There was nothing nefarious intended at all..... it was pretty open. Unfortunately, many collectors couldn't tell the difference(..and still can't) and bought them without asking or knowing. Some of Anderson's books were purchased by him with color touch already there. Every book I ever bought from Mark was sharp.... I've seen many of the more distinctive ones resurfacing in blue holders. GOD BLESS...

..... for the record, I still prefer unrestored and note it if I'm aware, when I make a sale.

.....I avoided restored books in the early 90's because, quite frankly, the rice paper felt stiff and the color touch was barely close.... I didn't appreciate GOOD resto until I saw Matt Nelson's work.

I think there wasn`t much fuss because back then there was no internet. In fact a lot of non-comic book shady stuff there was no fuss about. The internet exposed a lot of stuff to a world wide audience that was only whispered about.

Did you just say “Hail Hydra” ???????????? doh!

I think there wasn`t much fuss because back then there was no internet. In fact a lot of non-comic book shady stuff there was no fuss about. The internet exposed a lot of stuff to a world wide audience that was only whispered about.

134984-1675-pre.jpg

I wouls say 85% of key books have some sort of resto what you guys think the % is? :pullhair:

The thing is these golden age books are so scarce that it`s hard to put a number on it. I am pretty sure a good number that have survived have been damaged over the years, and work has been done to them. A red flag to me is if someone has a valuable goldenage/silverage comic book for sale and they don`t want to get it certified. That tells me they are not confident if it will comeback restored.

It`s one thing not getting your run of Roy Rogers vg comic books slabbed compared to a run Action #1 to Action #10.

I am an 80s child, so more like

hail-cobra-400x400.png

:whistle:

I wouls say 85% of key books have some sort of resto what you guys think the % is? :pullhair:

The thing is these golden age books are so scarce that it`s hard to put a number on it. I am pretty sure a good number that have survived have been damaged over the years, and work has been done to them. A red flag to me is if someone has a valuable goldenage/silverage comic book for sale and they don`t want to get it certified. That tells me they are not confident if it will comeback restored.

It`s one thing not getting your run of Roy Rogers vg comic books slabbed compared to a run Action #1 to Action #10.

not that I am in the market for any high end golden age comics but you are right , it is VERY suspicious when a high dollar golden age is offered in the raw state these days

not that I am in the market for any high end golden age comics but you are right , it is VERY suspicious when a high dollar golden age is offered in the raw state these days

It really depends on who the seller is. (shrug)

I all too often buy, sell and trade on impulse and most of the time its usually just to cover a previous purchase, sale or trade - and yep, mostly done on impulse. Out of curiosity, what is high dollar to you?