• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Wilson and PGC

96 posts in this topic

Someone wanted to trade me a GA book that he bought years ago from Mark Wilson so I had Matt from Classics do a restoration check and....well, I was informed by Matt that it would come back restored - that the chemical Wilson used when he did restoration caused rust on the staples afterwards. Anyone else go through something like this? Anyone lose big money from Wilson?

The list is long, but distinguished

:hi:

Cleaned by Wilson. Note the splotchy color loss in the yellow areas. Since it will be a PLOD regardless, I should probably get Matt to color touch it and improve the appearance.

starspangled1.jpg

Anyone around back then came across either a book he worked on or got screwed by a book he worked on. before I knew better I had him restore a tec 36, the amount of over painting was extreme and the cleaning was stupid, but the book looked nice I guess.

Shame he couldn't stay on the up and up as if he put his mind to it his paint work wasn't too bad.

James G

Cleaned by Wilson. Note the splotchy color loss in the yellow areas. Since it will be a PLOD regardless, I should probably get Matt to color touch it and improve the appearance.

starspangled1.jpg

This is sad to see. The splotches aren't that bad, though. It's still an attractive copy. I would not touch it up, but I would replace the staples if what Nelson said about the chemicals Mark used making staples rust is true.

Mark Wilson is both dizneyart and pgcmint on E-Bay, right? I would be very reluctant to buy from him, even if books are in blue slabs. I know someone who had a PLOD book that noted "cover cleaned;" he resubmitted it and it came back with a blue label, so apparently the CGC doesn't always catch cleaning. (This was 10 years ago or more, so they may have improved.)

(PS - Are Mark Wilson and Matt Wilson of Fantasy Masterpieces related?)

I had a Silver Streak 8 with restoration that had a very strong bleach smell. ciorac told me that the odor that this comic had was an indication that the restorer was Wilson. Too bad, as it's a nice comic otherwise.

I bought a Wonder Woman 1 on eBay that Matt Wilson had restored. He put the pages back in inverse order. The Centerfold was the first wrap.

That's attention to detail :facepalm:

I've seen it on a Marvel #1 I used to own. lol

starspangled1.jpg

This is sad to see. The splotches aren't that bad, though. It's still an attractive copy. I would not touch it up, but I would replace the staples if what Nelson said about the chemicals Mark used making staples rust is true.

Mark Wilson is both dizneyart and pgcmint on E-Bay, right? I would be very reluctant to buy from him, even if books are in blue slabs. I know someone who had a PLOD book that noted "cover cleaned;" he resubmitted it and it came back with a blue label, so apparently the CGC doesn't always catch cleaning. (This was 10 years ago or more, so they may have improved.)

Mark and Matt are brothers from what I remember.

starspangled1.jpg

Definitely brothers.

starspangled1.jpg

Definitely brothers.

(thumbs u

starspangled1.jpg

Definitely brothers.

Weren't they onetime Worlds Finest Comics and Collectibles?

starspangled1.jpg

Definitely brothers.

Yep. I used to get their catalog on a regular basis. Got a Batman 39 in high grade from them once. I have no idea if it was worked on because I sold it before anyone paid as much attention to that stuff. But I purchased it as unrestored.

starspangled1.jpg

Definitely brothers.

...... yes, and I eagerly awaited their catalogs back in the day. I was always very happy with their grading and customer service. In Mark's defense, resto was a very popular proceedure back in those days..... people paid EXTRA to have it done..... and Mark advertised those services, so it's not really like some shady back room shennenigans. His inventory today is almost entirely slabbed and high grade, so he certainly evolved with the market. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Well, I don't like some of the ways he's evolved. Breaking books out of CGC holders, adding tape, and subbing to PGX seems to be his latest thing.

And don't forget the reverse spine roll/pressing shenanigans...ruined a lot of books. doh!