• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Wilson and PGC

96 posts in this topic

Well, I don't like some of the ways he's evolved. Breaking books out of CGC holders, adding tape, and subbing to PGX seems to be his latest thing.

And don't forget the reverse spine roll/pressing shenanigans...ruined a lot of books. doh!

I still can't believe how successful he was with this practice. A serious embarrassment for CGC.

Well, I don't like some of the ways he's evolved. Breaking books out of CGC holders, adding tape, and subbing to PGX seems to be his latest thing.

And don't forget the reverse spine roll/pressing shenanigans...ruined a lot of books. doh!

I still can't believe how successful he was with this practice. A serious embarrassment for CGC.

So the scorecard is?

Mark Wilson (eBay: dizneyart, pgcmint.com)

- dealer

- is a board member (PGCMint)

Matt Wilson (fantasymasterpieces.com)

- dealer

- Mark's brother

Jesse Wilson (eBay: wxproduction, wxproduction.com)

- dealer

and this one. I don`t know if there is a connection.

Thomas Wilson (eBay: collectors_comics)

- dealer

So the scorecard is?

Mark Wilson (eBay: dizneyart, pgcmint.com)

- dealer

- is a board member (PGCMint)

Matt Wilson (fantasymasterpieces.com)

- dealer

- Mark's brother

Jesse Wilson (eBay: wxproduction, wxproduction.com)

- dealer

and this one. I don`t know if there is a connection.

Thomas Wilson (eBay: collectors_comics)

- dealer

And don't forget these...

Woodrow Wilson

-former President

Brian Wilson

-Beachboy

Wilson/Phillips

-popular '90s singing trio. Members Carnie Wilson and Wendy Wilson are daughters of Brian Wilson

Flip Wilson

-hilarious African American comedian from the '60s.

Ann and Nancy Wilson

-sister founders of the rock group Heart

And last but not least....Wilson

-the adorable and loyal companion of Tom Hanks in "Castaway"

Wilson/Phillips

-popular '90s singing trio. Members Carnie Wilson and Wendy Wilson are daughters of Brian Wilson

The arrogance. To think they could get away with it without even changing their last name.

Flip Wilson

(thumbs u

Flip Wilson

(thumbs u

Also known as Geraldine ;)

I feel bad for the guy who wanted to trade books with me. Here's his response to me after I passed the news on to him (I did not edit his typing):

"Hey Eric ... I contacted PGC Mint about the "restoration."

Mark Wilson who runs PGC (formerly World's Finest Collectibles) himself used to do restoration.

I've spoken to Heritage about him and they themselves regarded his work to be the best in the business.

When asked about this submersion process , here's his reply . . .

I also had previously seen how Tracey Heft of Eclipse Paper had done the bleaching process.... Always removing the staples & dismantling the book. Without removing the staples it is physically impossible .

Imagine the big wad of wet pages all stuck together ! How would you dry that ???

I am totally pissed... Mat Nelson's evaluation is total Bull ... a complete fantasy masterpiece !!!

NOW if I were Stephen Fishler sending in the Cap #9 it would have come back an 8.5."

Poor guy - he told me he bought a bunch of books from Wilson - there's probably more of the same and he's out a substantial bit of money.

I feel bad for the guy who wanted to trade books with me. Here's his response to me after I passed the news on to him (I did not edit his typing):

"Hey Eric ... I contacted PGC Mint about the "restoration."

Mark Wilson who runs PGC (formerly World's Finest Collectibles) himself used to do restoration.

I've spoken to Heritage about him and they themselves regarded his work to be the best in the business.

When asked about this submersion process , here's his reply . . .

I also had previously seen how Tracey Heft of Eclipse Paper had done the bleaching process.... Always removing the staples & dismantling the book. Without removing the staples it is physically impossible .

Imagine the big wad of wet pages all stuck together ! How would you dry that ???

I am totally pissed... Mat Nelson's evaluation is total Bull ... a complete fantasy masterpiece !!!

NOW if I were Stephen Fishler sending in the Cap #9 it would have come back an 8.5."

Poor guy - he told me he bought a bunch of books from Wilson - there's probably more of the same and he's out a substantial bit of money.

hm

Did CGC ever announce anything about this? I folowed the other thread but it seemed to end once CGC announced the new tape policy. Can reverse spine roll be detected reliably?

I don't know about how reliably one can detect, however a book that was reverse spine rolled can probably be reverse-reverse-spinerolled (depending on the book and the condition it's currently in.) Would defer to Joey or Matt on this, but it would at the very least depend on the book, whether it was overall fragile/supple etc.

I don't know about how reliably one can detect, however a book that was reverse spine rolled can probably be reverse-reverse-spinerolled (depending on the book and the condition it's currently in.) Would defer to Joey or Matt on this, but it would at the very least depend on the book, whether it was overall fragile/supple etc.
I'm not a huge fan of pressing, but in a case like that, even I would be in favor of doing it to correct the atrocity that is reverse spine roll.

I'm not a huge fan of pressing, but in a case like that, even I would be in favor of doing it to correct the atrocity that is reverse spine roll.

I believe it would be possible to undo (in a general sense.) But you'd rightfully be unhappy about having a book that presented/graded worse than what you had thought you were getting.

The same people are still shifting spines and aren't being penalized. Only way to tell is a front and back cover scan. Part of pressing now it seems. Not going to post specific books because its not their fault. It's cgc that's the problem. If they actually penalized books for bad pressing it would stop but that was just a cop out to calm the boards down. I honestly don't think they can even tell with all of the books that pass through daily. So expect it to continue and others exploiting it for profit.

The Heart girls put on a mean show back in '87. Anne and Nancy Wilson.

:whatev:

They still do.

:o

Still touring????

Absolutely. They played the Greek Theater tonight. Next week, they're in San Diego, Santa Barbara, and San Francisco.

Examples or it didn't happen. ;) But seriously, if you don't back it up with proof, you could pose any semi-plausible situation you like, and who's to say otherwise?
i won't travel that road. Just do your homework on the books you buy.