• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best PEDIGREE collection to collect & why?

51 posts in this topic

I have only two pedigree comics and didn't pay a premium for them. The only pedigree I would pay a premium for is the Okajima. And that's because of the story behind it.

I agree. I have one Okajima with the camp code notation on the cover. One of my favorite books.

I know I will probably never get my hands on one, but would be great to have, just for the story and history behind it

I have only two pedigree comics and didn't pay a premium for them. The only pedigree I would pay a premium for is the Okajima. And that's because of the story behind it.

I agree. I have one Okajima with the camp code notation on the cover. One of my favorite books.

I know I will probably never get my hands on one, but would be great to have, just for the story and history behind it

Metro has a couple of raw, post-1945 "Okajima copy" books for sale.

Metro has a couple of raw, post-1945 "Okajima copy" books for sale.

and a raw one (with cert) just went unbid on ebay this past weekend (it was a '49 post-camp Jungle I think)....

some are out there and are affordable (~$100) if you dont mind jungle books.

I believe the White Chapel and Brad Squared "ped" books, are the worst pedigreed books around. As a whole.

Is there a worse pedigree around, overall quality wise?

IMHO, hands down, the worst pedigree is the Mohawk Valley pedigree. The interiors are consistently toasty, tanning on the interior, just plain fugly. I had a few raw copies but have managed to rid myself of all. I spit on this pedigree.

Allentown, Mile High and SF

Allentown? :grin:

AllW3ATCopy_zps05f3ee57.jpg

:applause:

omg! that is beautiful!

My 2c is that the best pedigrees are the ones with the brightest inks, whitest pages etc, like the San Franciscos, Mile Highs Pac Coast etc. You can even get bright books like this even buying collections that arent Peds if you find one that has been stored in a part of the country and with good storage conditions.

Whenever I find a superbright collection I usually keep a bunch of the ones with flaws for myself just to remember the colors of the 9.6s I sold!

Pedigrees just means someone collecting complete huge runs of books before it was cool, but they may have stored them bad, like those D copies. So lots of non ped collections can still be beautiful!

A friend of mine recently bought a large lot of books from a ebay seller who's father I believe worked for Gold Key and he keep a copy of every comic they had at that time(SA/BA) stuff. My friend bought the stuff he loves which is like HR Puf n Stuff and Wacky Races stuff like that. Anyway the colors are amazing he brought them with us to WW Chicago so I could go through them. The colors where brilliant and the pages are all white. They are beautiful, nothing I would have bought but he loves them. He turned in I think it was around 30 books to CGC in Chicago.

They are not a ped, but I can understand what you mean by the colors popping and the white pages.