• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Outliers #1

111 posts in this topic

Just got one today, finally. Will cgc grade this? How will they treat the cover slip? Curious because the slip came with a barcode sticker on top of the original barcode...?

Also, loved the art but the story has me wondering what type of growth potential this really has? Famous last words, but I'm leary of this "exploding" or getting optioned for anything.

Thoughts?

All my copies came with that sticker over the bar code as well (had 5 copies)

I also loved the art in this & thought it was a really well put together book.

I doubt this would get optioned for anything but think it will go up in value.

It's an obscure comic with incredibly small print run & I can see Eric Johnson doing really well in the future & it's a really nice book

I got my monthly Previews from Midtown yesterday. I still haven't opened the box, but I think this will be my first read. I'm pretty sure it was like $4.xx to preorder for an unknown #1, so I think that's why the orders were pretty low too.

Some people are hyping this book at the moment. Story is not that strong... Art has a very unique style/effect. It is something new... Meteoric rise = (you get what i mean).

This in my honest opinion is a short term book

I hate to say it, but I think you're right. Most of the eBay craze is probably being fueled by boardie speculators, and once people realized that this isn't going to be optioned for anything, and after the second printing, prices will fall. I say keep one copy and sell the rest now.

Some people are hyping this book at the moment. Story is not that strong... Art has a very unique style/effect. It is something new... Meteoric rise = (you get what i mean).

I hate to say it, but I think you're right. Most of the eBay craze is probably being fueled by boardie speculators, and once people realized that this isn't going to be optioned for anything, and after the second printing, prices will fall. I say keep one copy and sell the rest now.

I disagree but hey, we all have our opinions.

Art is terrific, the story is good, the creator seems super cool, print run is tiny as can be and the extras that can be had are awesome.

I am not saying I expect it to keep going crazy but I bet it stays a $40+ book for a good while.

people don't just buy books on the hope that they will get optioned for a tv show or movie...

people don't just buy books on the hope that they will get optioned for a tv show or movie...

:idea:

It's a promising start for a new creator. I like it. My copy is for my collection. If my LCS had not ordered any I would have snapped one up quick. I also ordered the patch and silkscreen.....cool stuff and the envelope they ship in is a work of art in itself. Looking forward to more.

Books with very small print runs?.....um...yes some people do. It's not just tv/movie options, people buy #1s like this for all sorts of reasons, but if you think the current prices on eBay for this book aren't related to speculative-purposes, I would have to kindly disagree. I would venture a guess that the majority of folks paying high prices for this book are doing so with the hopes that either the artist himself or the book will take off and be a success....isn't that a fair assumption?

I actually liked the story. It is kind of fun/all ages. It's a native American boy who cannot talk other than to monsters. He is picked on for being a freak. I loved the cover, very Paul Pope-esque and the inside art is different but good. The cover has a slipcover over art of different monsters and the inside cover tells about the monsters. I have one regular and one signed copy. Sold one of the three that I have had to a boardie.

Books with very small print runs?.....um...yes some people do. It's not just tv/movie options, people buy #1s like this for all sorts of reasons, but if you think the current prices on eBay for this book aren't related to speculative-purposes, I would have to kindly disagree. I would venture a guess that the majority of folks paying high prices for this book are doing so with the hopes that either the artist himself or the book will take off and be a success....isn't that a fair assumption?

Your statement that people are solely buying this book on potential tv show or movie adaptations is asinine. That isn't to say people are buying this book at current prices believing that the price will only increase, but to say that their reasoning behind it is because of the property getting picked up and adapted for another medium is ridiculous.

Either way, a signed and sketched copy just sold for $120 bucks.

I see people saying that others are hyping the book. Chief among them is me, if by hyping you mean trying to get people to buy a book that is truly quality and features a new talent and a completely different take on comics than what the big three are putting out, then yes, I am hyping the book.

I had three copies, one I sold to a boardie, yet am still keeping one regular and one signed copy for my personal collection. The copy I sold was for $30 plus shipping. Paid for my other two copies. Seems like a fair trade.

I see people saying that others are hyping the book. Chief among them is me, if by hyping you mean trying to get people to buy a book that is truly quality and features a new talent and a completely different take on comics than what the big three are putting out, then yes, I am hyping the book.

I had three copies, one I sold to a boardie, yet am still keeping one regular and one signed copy for my personal collection. The copy I sold was for $30 plus shipping. Paid for my other two copies. Seems like a fair trade.

If you believe in a book, go for it. I read and buy what I like. This is one book I do like .

$120 for the sketch is a crazy price though.

I haven't read it but the idea alone reminds me of I Kill Giants. I don't think the author hijacked the plot but it sure sounds familiar...