• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie Hype

41 posts in this topic

[font:Book Antiqua]

I wonder how many investors got rich with the latest "Lone Ranger" Movie?

BTW did anyone remember the Green Hornet movie with Seth Rogen?

Or the latest Spirit,

Or Conan,

Or Ghost rider

Or Fantastic Four

Or Green Lantern

Or ... Well you got the idea.

[/font]

:/:facepalm:doh!

We shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

There were good ones too. Just because bad examples exist does not preclude the existence of movies which were successful and books that subsequently continued to rise and will remain high.

I see pockets of the comics market that are hyperbolic and irrational and others that are built on long established characters.

Rocket racoon seems absurd but Thanos is a pivotal long established character.

A good tip might to be to focus on established characters with an extensive presence in their comic universe. Rather than the next hot thing. That is, do some form of rudimentary fundamental analysis.

The best ones are the Rocket Raccoon type stuff because they could have been had for a few dollars just a year ago. Of course they will not be great long term investments, but most people could have made good coin on Rocket Raccoon when they had the chance. $5000 spent on Guardians of the Galaxy and Thanos keys two years ago would have netted more profit then buying one $5000 key two years ago.

I just wonder how many people are actually collecting these "hot" books. Or, is it just speculators selling to speculators?

I think when they first start going up there is a lot of people riding the speculation train, but there's also a lot of folks who get caught up in the excitement of grabbing a new "key" ( with the hope if not expectation that it will continue to rise in value).

So in other words it's just speculators selling to other speculators...

I see it the other way. I don't understand the Thanos mania. Yes, an important bad guy in the Marvel Universe, but not at the Dr. Doom/Green Goblin/Galactus/Magneto level.

Rocket Racoon ... that's Disney pushing its newly-acquired, wholly-owned subsidiary to open up its very big library of characters to get Guardians on silver screen so that Rocket Racoon can be marketed (cartoons, toys, clothing, joy rides) to kids. Being the dad of 3 kids, I can see them going nuts over RR. (They care a lot more about the Smurfs movie (and getting Smurfs toys) than MOS.)

Having said that, you won't see me buying IM55 or MP7 any time soon -- short-term investors are now making the market on those books.

Or the latest Spirit,

Or Conan,

Or Ghost rider

Or Fantastic Four

Or Green Lantern

[/font]

There were good ones too. Just because bad examples exist does not preclude the existence of movies which were successful and books that subsequently continued to rise and will remain high.

I see pockets of the comics market that are hyperbolic and irrational and others that are built on long established characters.

A good tip might to be to focus on established characters with an extensive presence in their comic universe. Rather than the next hot thing. That is, do some form of rudimentary fundamental analysis.

The best ones are the Rocket Raccoon type stuff because they could have been had for a few dollars just a year ago. Of course they will not be great long term investments, but most people could have made good coin on Rocket Raccoon when they had the chance. $5000 spent on Guardians of the Galaxy and Thanos keys two years ago would have netted more profit then buying one $5000 key two years ago.

I wonder if anyone had the insight and bought up big in those areas? If so i would love to know how they picked em.

Or the latest Spirit,

Or Conan,

Or Ghost rider

Or Fantastic Four

Or Green Lantern

[/font]

I wonder if anyone had the insight and bought up big in those areas? If so i would love to know how they picked em.

I wanted a copy of AV 55 before it was hot but that was a coincidence not skilled speculation.

I just wonder how many people are actually collecting these "hot" books. Or, is it just speculators selling to speculators?

I think when they first start going up there is a lot of people riding the speculation train, but there's also a lot of folks who get caught up in the excitement of grabbing a new "key" ( with the hope if not expectation that it will continue to rise in value).

lol

Green Goblin? You're kidding, right?

Thanos kicks the living crapp out of the Green Goblin.

Peace,

Chip

Um, not even close. Take a gander at GPA sales on 9.6's of ASM14 versus 9.8's of IM55. Thanos is a sissy. Goblin rules.

And yet, forgetting all the ingredients to keep the hype machine well-oiled...

Archie is a great example of a character/title/series which is still culturally relevant without any assist from TV or movies. Pep 22 and Archie 1 are arguably two of the biggest gainers for at least the past two years.

My Hulk 271 is SOLD!

My 2 IM 55's are SOLD!

My Avengers 55 is SOLD!

I still have my Marvel Preview 7 but I love the cover ...but if someone offered me stupid money for it, it will be SOLD!

I am contemplating putting a 40 dollar price tag on my Hulk annual 5's because they have the 2nd appearance of Groot to see what happens and see if they can be SOLD!

I love Movies.

That has been happening between golden age sellers for years. They buy off each other to flip amongst themselves.

I can`t count the number of times I see the same golden age comics being sold on Comiclink and Heritage only to show up again at a higher price a month or two later.

It`s capitalism at its finest.

;)

That has been happening between golden age sellers for years. They buy off each other to flip amongst themselves.

I can`t count the number of times I see the same golden age comics being sold on Comiclink and Heritage only to show up again at a higher price a month or two later.

It`s capitalism at its finest.

;)

Kind of missing the point. His two statements are near identical. People 'riding the speculation train' are the same as those buying a 'key' with the 'hope that it will rise in value.'

Some of the speculation at least makes a little sense.

The hoarding of first appearance of upcoming movie villains is completely baffling. 1st appearance of Silver Samurai runs up in price because... he has a fairly insignificant role in an OK sequel to a disappointing movie? WTF cares? Unless it's a Heath ledger as Joker level performance, the villain will be quickly forgotten.

Oh well, let me get my HG copies of Thor 344 graded and sold before I continue this line of inquiry.

Green Goblin? You're kidding, right?

Thanos kicks the living crapp out of the Green Goblin.

Peace,

Chip

Um, not even close. Take a gander at GPA sales on 9.6's of ASM14 versus 9.8's of IM55. Thanos is a sissy. Goblin rules.

This is not well thought out. The Goblin did NOT have staying power, even in ASM (which is probably the #1 most heavily collected title). Where as Thanos has thrived in C tier characters books. Because YOU do not see the character as being important, does not mean others share that view. Look at the print run, and the significance of Infinity Gauntlet.. There are very few mini series based around a villain that could compare.

Osborn has become a washed up ninny, and if you bring up the death of Gwen Stacy.... I'll tell you your arse hurts and you need to read more, and stop buying books you are likely not reading.