• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

My angel icon at the end indicates I was making fun of your continued use of the example I used. People with limited books should not take the premier offers unless they want to be seen as a Donkey. I would expect everyone on these boards has books equal to a ASM 300 - they just do not want to give them up to get a copy. It's way more profitable to offer $30 worth of odds and ends to justify a take of a ASM 300 or ASM 50.

Well then at what point exactly are we "paying it forward"?

I agree that a "trade it forward" would be better but again, everyone, not just me seems to put up suggestions with everyone shooting it down.

To make it better we need to single out the problems:

1. People taking advantage of the situation

2. People harassing others and jumping to conclusions

Figure out those two and we will have more people participating and good offers constantly.

Well, if that is what the thread has become, does it really belong in comics general anymore?

I think it has run its course and may be better off in another section or locked all together. There are plenty of people that really do try to give more than they take (paying it forward) but anytime there is free stuff, the less stellar members of society will show up and try to take advantage.

Arch, I read the comment in the trading thread. The point about it being trading and not giving makes sense, but it was just strange that no one had a problem with it last time. Thanks for answering the question though, because just deleting it with no explanation would leave a bad taste so to speak.

I agree its been nothing a pain since it started. I am quite sure the last year or two its probably gotten worse.

Close it and make some sort of trading thread. This thread has run its course.

From what it looks like now is that no one can offer any kind of suggestion. Anything that could potentially disrupt the status quo is immediately shut down, eyes are rolled, memes are posted, and no *spoons* are given regardless if that suggestion actually made sense or had merit.

1Cool just posted a very real scenario of one person trying to play with a small box or collection while another has a whole store at his disposal. The immediate response was for the small collection guy to go pound sand. This is a very real scenario.

Sorry, comic collecting is not just for the rich and stuck up...and until everyone is open to listening to everyone and stop calling people names, then close the PIF. There are more people who do not complain and make it fun then there are people who constantly nag about other people and offers. Unless someone comes up with a way to stop that, then you will never end the problems with the PIF. Close it until people learn how to be mature logical adults about it.

I'll even promise to never participate in it again if that is what people are worried about.

I can't believe you would even have the gall to tell the rest of us what to say or think about PIF. YOU and people like you are the problem. Seriously Meeklo?? I stopped saying things about you or making donkey memes but if you are going to bring up like this then you have to expect to be called out. I can't believe you even had the balls to come back to the thread over and over and over again despite being a joke in the thread. Unbelievable...

Please for the love of the boards Arch, shut this train wreck of a thread down. I admire Namesjay and what he was trying to do. I will always be grateful for all of the friends I made as a result of this thread in particular but it really needs to go

Well, if that is what the thread has become, does it really belong in comics general anymore?

I think it has run its course and may be better off in another section or locked all together. There are plenty of people that really do try to give more than they take (paying it forward) but anytime there is free stuff, the less stellar members of society will show up and try to take advantage.

Arch, I read the comment in the trading thread. The point about it being trading and not giving makes sense, but it was just strange that no one had a problem with it last time. Thanks for answering the question though, because just deleting it with no explanation would leave a bad taste so to speak.

I agree its been nothing a pain since it started. I am quite sure the last year or two its probably gotten worse.

From what it looks like now is that no one can offer any kind of suggestion. Anything that could potentially disrupt the status quo is immediately shut down, eyes are rolled, memes are posted, and no *spoons* are given regardless if that suggestion actually made sense or had merit.

1Cool just posted a very real scenario of one person trying to play with a small box or collection while another has a whole store at his disposal. The immediate response was for the small collection guy to go pound sand. This is a very real scenario.

Sorry, comic collecting is not just for the rich and stuck up...and until everyone is open to listening to everyone and stop calling people names, then close the PIF. There are more people who do not complain and make it fun then there are people who constantly nag about other people and offers. Unless someone comes up with a way to stop that, then you will never end the problems with the PIF. Close it until people learn how to be mature logical adults about it.

I'll even promise to never participate in it again if that is what people are worried about.

I can't believe you would even have the gall to tell the rest of us what to say or think about PIF. YOU and people like you are the problem. Seriously Meeklo?? I stopped saying things about you or making donkey memes but if you are going to bring up like this then you have to expect to be called out. I can't believe you even had the balls to come back to the thread over and over and over again despite being a joke in the thread. Unbelievable...

Because no one is listening to anyone...no one is listening to me...no one is listening to others...everyone is too busy with their own assumptions and opinions that no one cares or is paying attention to others.

Guys I don't have a lot of money or a big collection, and it's not fair other people have whole stores worth of comics at there disposal, but I think I'm entitled the best free stuff because I'm a greedy d-bag with no concern or respect for others!

Holy whiskey foxtrot tango Meeklo you're an embarrassment.

For the life of me, I can't imagine why no one is listening to you Meeklo. It must baffle your mind.

They're are not listening to anyone...

Look I just said no one is listening to anyone...not just me...and you singled out the part about just me.

That was exactly my point!!!!

Even Swick made some good points the other day and everyone here just ignored them entirely.

I'm not making this about me...stop making it about me. Start listening to each other for once in this stupid thread's history!

Ok... I will listen. You just said the thread was stupid. Does that mean you will stay away? That would be a vast improvement to the thread with little to no effort.

Even Swick had a good idea and we failed to listen? :o sigh........

Just throwing in my 2c

I think PIF should stay in Comics General, as it is a community activity. But the thing I would say is that any discussion about a poor offer should be posted in this thread. If it is a poor offer it will just expire in 4 days, sometimes there are great offers that expire in 4 days. I don't see it as stalling the thread. Only when someone takes a big ticket item and then lists a couple of books out of a dollar bin then that is someone who is trying to get something for nothing and the original person should veto it.

Again just my 2c about the trading thread. I could see it in either the for Sale Mixed or change Wanted to Buy section to Wanted to Buy or Trade.

Why don't the drama kings like this?

I said kick rocks, not pound sand.

It's not about the amount of books anyone owns. It's about fairness, and a pile of drek is still drek. The thread does not run smoothly because some people feel entitled to build a collection at the expense of others while donking off drek in the process. If you are not comfortable at the level of trades then trade at your own comfort level in another thread. Do not attempt to take advantage of the system.

It clearly does not operate as a PIF thread and you know that. It's a trade it down the line thread with some looking to take advantage of the kindness of others. Its unfortunate because it really could be an amazing thread. Even if it was solely for trading.

Kick rocks...pound sand...it means the same thing!!!!

I can stay away from the thread without problem but I guarantee that this thread will continue to have problems.

For example, I wasn't even apart of the last derailment...and it still collapsed.

Regardless of anyone's opinion of me, this thread is it's own worst enemy until everyone gets on the same track and listens to each other.