• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

The point is when C drops out, B's offer goes back on the table. But what happens if nobody other than C wanted B's offer, and B's offer is not claimed by someone else within 3 days?

Good PIF offers don't stick around long, and the only scenario I could see this happening in is where junk donkey is playing shill games.

Again, the most likely of scenarios...

Then you need to show me some quality PIF gifts that have dragged on for 3 days without being claimed - you will not find any, trust me, so your scenario is either a) fantasy or b) skill-nanigans.

Sounds like you might be agreeing with each other.

It's not likely to happen, so no need for a specific rule. If it is happening, it could likely be shilling, in which case a new rule isn't going to help because B will just keep A's offer, which they've already received, and disappear.

For the record, the current offer meets the proposed required minimum (and was the catalyst for this round of the airing of grievances).

I think my basic philosophy with PIF is...

Would anyone trade what I just took with what I'm offering?

That doesn't always mean the values are the same, but would someone find a reason to trade it?

Would anyone ever trade anything for 10 random comics, even if they're worth 2 dollars a piece?

But someone might trade for 10 $1 comics if they're a run or a complete story arc, even if its Youngblood or something.

Example: My very first PIF, I claimed a ASM 600 CGC SS 9.8 Stan Lee. I was lucky as hell to get it. I would put the market value over well over $100 conservatively.

I think I offered up a CGC SS GL 9.6 slab 2x signed by Bernie Wrightson and Ron Lim, and a the Daredevil prison TPB. Was that equal value? probably not even close to be honest, but I thought that SOMEONE would think its pretty cool to have a one and only CGC SS, the only GL book Wrightson ever did (maybe there's another one in the adams run? can't remember). Is there someone out there who might do that trade? I thought so, and it was snapped up immediately.

I've also had an offer that was actually more fair in actual $$ value to the one I took that sat way longer, because it was more a matter of who would want all these random things? Like what person out there wants a run of House of M (who hasn't read it already) and a random Star Wars novel and a blank and 2 random Darkhawk comics (that's what I offered, value not terrible but too janky in hindsight)?

The point of all this rambling? I think people should put a little more thought into WHO might take what they're offering (slab collector, key chaser, indy lover, perverts, bronze geek, sig lover, horror enthusiast, reader of stories, TPB guy), that would solve the majority of problems. Also, if you take something great, I think people want to see that you put SOME effort into your offering.

With all that being said, the 3 day rule would be the best way I think to alleviate the issue. People don't have to spew disdain on any given offer, and the offerror would be heavily motivated to give the people what they want. Then no need for talk of value, let the market decide.

current offer is on hold

The point is when C drops out, B's offer goes back on the table. But what happens if nobody other than C wanted B's offer, and B's offer is not claimed by someone else within 3 days?

Good PIF offers don't stick around long, and the only scenario I could see this happening in is where junk donkey is playing shill games.

Again, the most likely of scenarios...

Then you need to show me some quality PIF gifts that have dragged on for 3 days without being claimed - you will not find any, trust me, so your scenario is either a) fantasy or b) skill-nanigans.

Sounds like you might be agreeing with each other.

It's not likely to happen, so no need for a specific rule. If it is happening, it could likely be shilling, in which case a new rule isn't going to help because B will just keep A's offer, which they've already received, and disappear.

For the record, the current offer meets the proposed required minimum (and was the catalyst for this round of the airing of grievances).

I just received a PM from Meeklo offering to decline the offer and have me re-post it. I chose not to.My offer was offered with no strings attached. Isn't that within the spirit of PIF?

No clearly the spirit of the thread is to take good stuff and dump junk...

:jokealert:

Example: My very first PIF, I claimed a ASM 600 CGC SS 9.8 Stan Lee. I was lucky as hell to get it. I would put the market value over well over $100 conservatively.

I think I offered up a CGC SS GL 9.6 slab 2x signed by Bernie Wrightson and Ron Lim, and a the Daredevil prison TPB. Was that equal value? probably not even close to be honest, but I thought that SOMEONE would think its pretty cool to have a one and only CGC SS

This is the right way to do it, and it really has nothing to do with exact dollar and cents, but posting something equitable to what you are getting - i.e paying it forward.

What you describe is exactly what the thread was created for and it doesn't matter a bit that your book might have been worth slightly less, it's still offering one cool book for one cool book.

But where it breaks down is when someone, for whatever reason, grabs your "CGC SS GL 9.6 slab 2x signed by Bernie Wrightson and Ron Lim" and offers up a VG run of Team America 5-10. That guy must think it's "Free CGC Comics Day" on the forums.

Out of curiosity, how many times have you participated in the PIF thread? I've seen plenty of quality offers stay on the table.

1) I read the PIF thread, but I don't participate due to the rampant junk donkeys.

2) Really? Do you have links to these "quality offers" that stayed unclaimed for 3 days?

1) You don't participate but still feel your opinion on a rule change should hold weight?

2) You've read the PIF thread. Feel free to read it again and find them.

I have read it, and didn't find any - and you can't either, so you dodge it. lol

People will support me on this - prime PIF offers get claimed within the same day, if not the same hour. Lately, the good stuff takes maybe 10-30 minutes to disappear.

But where it breaks down is when someone, for whatever reason, grabs your "CGC SS GL 9.6 slab 2x signed by Bernie Wrightson and Ron Lim" and offers up a VG run of Team America 5-10. That guy must think it's "Free CGC Comics Day" on the forums.

Did this ever happen? Did anyone ever offer Team America 5-10?

I have read it, and didn't find any - and you can't either, so you dodge it. lol

Did this ever happen? Did anyone ever offer Team America 5-10?

It's happened lots of times - I just use "Team America 5-10" to protect the guilty and not "shame" anyone.

:eyeroll:

Out of curiosity, how many times have you participated in the PIF thread? I've seen plenty of quality offers stay on the table.

1) I read the PIF thread, but I don't participate due to the rampant junk donkeys.

2) Really? Do you have links to these "quality offers" that stayed unclaimed for 3 days?

1) You don't participate but still feel your opinion on a rule change should hold weight?

Logic should always hold weight. With the PIF spilling over into many different areas of the Boards, everyone's opinion should be heard and then discussed or discarded based upon its relative merit.

Perhaps, on the surface it appears to outsiders that it is just a free for all of people grabbing stuff and offering junk in return. I still argue that is not the case. There are a lot of outside friendships and acts of kindness done that are not shown in the actual threads. A lot of us donate to kids and stuff, so that is a true PIF. Besides that though, we do random stuff for each other. I have been the recipient of two surprise gifts in just the last month. Nothing that I asked for, the people just thought I would like it based on a comment or something and sent it to me. One guy that sent it to me I had never met or really spoken to before. He just arranged for a third party to send it to me that had my address. Before knowing I was getting that stuff, I had randomly sent a box of WD and marvel books to a different member because I knew they wanted it. Thats what PIF is really about I think.

Logic should always hold weight. With the PIF spilling over into many different areas of the Boards, everyone's opinion should be heard and then discussed or discarded based upon its relative merit.

I agree that logic always has a place in policy change. Value judgments without representation are not logic, however.

Who has a link to the infamous X-men #3 cgc book btw, I've searched through the thread and I must have been absent that day and can't find it now.

The guy that offered that always offers very nice items to my knowledge, so I would hate to put his name and generosity in the middle of an arguement.

I agree that logic always has a place in policy change. Value judgments without representation are not logic, however.

From the guy stating that "tons of excellent PIF offers languish unclaimed for weeks and weeks" yet can't post a single one of these. hm