• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

RULES:

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

Saying the controversy and activity are positively linked is irresponsible and forgetful of the recent past. The controversy surrounding the HoS/Probation and PiF saw the thread grind to a halt.

Most "problems" that people have with the PiF thread are solved by actively following the posted rules.

The most recent PIF offer weighed against what was taken is a prime example of offering far far less than what was taken. It's ridiculous, check it out. Two mid grade bronze keys is met with an offer of mostly mostly quarter bin fodder.

I think the best fix for that thread is a three day rule. When you claim something you have three days to present an offer that is claimed by someone else or the original offer is back up for grabs. It means waiting, at most, a few days to ship your offer out. Not a big deal, thread fixed.

To the people who think the thread has been running great these last few days? Yes it has been and it's because of the controversy, it happens every single time this is brought up. I fully expect a defense launched my way from mostly those who are known to game that system in the past or haven't been here long enough to see the vicious cycle repeat perpetually. I'd like to move past that and solve this problem.

This 3 day rule is a good idea in my opinion.

I think it might be time to accept that the PIF thread is something a bit more than just "paying it forward". People have expectations, they have opinions on fairness, and lots of people have walked away from the thread.

It's ok for the thread to be a little bit more than just giving away free books and this 3 day rule will, I think, fix a lot of the issues that have arose.

I'd add this. If "Steve" claims something and their offer (or offers if they change it up) isn't claimed in 3 days, the original offer goes back up. "Steve" doesn't need to be banned or booted or anything, he just can't try and claim that offer again, but he can try again on the next one if he wants and make a hopefully more appealing offer on his next try.

Sounds like good business to me.

RULES:

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

Saying the controversy and activity are positively linked is irresponsible and forgetful of the recent past. The controversy surrounding the HoS/Probation and PiF saw the thread grind to a halt.

Most "problems" that people have with the PiF thread are solved by actively following the posted rules.

Yeah, the whole don't discuss the value of the offer part.

Like when someone takes a 9.8 slab and in return offers two dollar books with the price tags still on the bags. :eyeroll:

Or more like the current offer, where the boardie took these 2 "key" books, with some real value:

sme15_zps9aa32833.jpg

mp15_zpsd2ababaf.jpg

and offered up this drek in exchange:

Here's what I got:

Option #1 - Uncanny X-Men Set

#168 - The cover is detached but whole. 1st Madelyn Pryor

Uncanny168_zps0881916f.jpeg

#211 - Mutant Massacre storyline

Uncanny211_zps7f8dcdfb.jpeg

#221 - 1st Mr. Sinister

Uncanny221_zps5e7c1e9d.jpeg

#326 - Gambit and Sabretooth rehashing some issues from the Mutant Massacre

Uncanny326_zps0aabf644.jpeg

Option 2 - Complete randomness

Venom: Lethal Protector #1

Venom1_zps1175b28e.jpeg

Fantastic Four #357 - Where the FF realizes that Alicia is actually Lyja, a Skrull

FantasticFour357_zpsa2d7b1bb.jpeg

New Mutants #1

NewMutants1_zpsabed0d4f.jpeg

meh

A detached cover copper X-Men issue, and 6 other random quarter-bin dust bunny magnets. Oh wait, you may get a dollar or two out of the X-Men #221 and New Mutants #1. As long as the buyer didn't care about the grade of the book. :eyeroll:

Or #3, a mystery box which may contain more useless drek from this thread.

This offer is almost as bad as our new "board trading hero" GIJOEISAWESOME. He'd come to the PIF thread, take a good item, then drop a few worthless dregs as an offer. Then claim that he really didn't have anything else to offer up. All while running sales and WTB threads at the same time. Of course, seeing as how his reputation is completely disintegrating in this thread, it really shouldn't shock anybody that he was just wanting to use the PIF thread for his own greedy, gold digging purposes. hm

Joe - you are out of order with your last post. Referring to his sales thread as "useless drek" is not cool imo.

Have you PMd the member to make any suggestions before slamming him publicly?

These arguments over value in the PIF thread have been done to death again and again. It's painful to read. Your example from the latest offer adds nothing to the debate. Either change the rules - by group vote or however you want to do it - or stop moaning and leave the thread until that happens (like Slym did).

I've never participated in the thread, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't in future. I think the 3 day rule is a decent idea for what it's worth.

I agree with this slamming of my offerings. This is the only stuff I got and while it may be meaningless to a bunch of people on here, most of this is stuff I have had for a while and I care more about the idea of "paying it forward" regardless of what any of you think. You don't like what is being offered, then shut up and keep it to yourself. Let the rest of us have fun and enjoy the thread.

This is the PIF Discussion thread, so it pretty much is the perfect place for the discussion.

6q6zr.jpg

:think: How much....,??

Maybe I missed it, when/why did Slym leave the PIF?

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but from my skimming of the thread it appears that he left because he was fed up of crusading against what he perceived as inadequate offers and then being told that he was being mean or acting against the spirit of the thread, especially because he says he goes out of his way to welcome new boardies to the PIF etc.

Some people agree with him; some don't. This happened earlier in the week I believe.

The most recent PIF offer weighed against what was taken is a prime example of offering far far less than what was taken. It's ridiculous, check it out. Two mid grade bronze keys is met with an offer of mostly mostly quarter bin fodder.

doh!

I really wish the "gamers" would just dry up and blow away, as this example is just insane. People seem to really be looking at this thread as a way to trade their junk for someone else's gold, and think nothing of it.

Do people really have no idea what "Pay if Forward" means?

Do they think it means when a good deed is done to you that you, that you should then punch an old lady in the stomach? (shrug)

This is the PIF Discussion thread, so it pretty much is the perfect place for the discussion.

6q6zr.jpg

Uh-oh, Meeklo

Be-cause, becauuuuse uuh Meeklo

Uh-oh, Meeklo

Be-cause, becauuuuse Meeeeeeklo

I agree with this slamming of my offerings. This is the only stuff I got and while it may be meaningless to a bunch of people on here, most of this is stuff I have had for a while and I care more about the idea of "paying it forward" regardless of what any of you think. You don't like what is being offered, then shut up and keep it to yourself. Let the rest of us have fun and enjoy the thread.

Here is an perfect example of someone totally lacking in basic Common Sense.

Paying it Forward is *not* grabbing a pile of good stuff and then tossing some junk back. It should at least attempt to be equivalent, or you should be the bigger man and not run around gold-digging if all you can "pay it forward" with is gravel. Just wait for someone else's gravel and claim that.

Here is an perfect example of someone totally lacking in basic Common Sense.

Paying it Forward is *not* grabbing a pile of good stuff and then tossing some junk back. It should at least attempt to be equivalent, or you should be the bigger man and not run around gold-digging if all you can "pay it forward" with is gravel. Just wait for someone else's gravel and claim that.

It's nice to know that there are other's who are not only seeing it, but being ticked about it, and willing to voice it.

And as was stated, this IS the PIF discussion thread, not his sales thread or the "sacred" PIF thread itself.