• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

You are right.

Laying gravel in a boneyard doesn't make you a frankfurter.

Sometimes when I get what I don't deserve, I cruise on right through to the clown show and make off with the pinata. And let me tell you, those are the nights that the turpentine goes on real, real thin.

Boneyards are the crux of my consternation regarding my procrastination when dealing with turpentine quagmires.

The other thing is maybe to have people explain their PIF's. e.g. "This trade paperback covers one of my favorite runs of XXXXX and is some of XXXXX's earliest work in the business." or "This book is all about the comic book implosion of the '90's and has great insights from Joe Quesada and an in depth look at Warner Brother's purchase of DC." I think some of the PIF's would go much quicker if people knew why they should be interested in them. Of course this is assuming that people are offering up what they think is a good item.

You are right.

Sometimes when I get what I don't deserve, I cruise on right through to the clown show and make off with the pinata. And let me tell you, those are the nights that the turpentine goes on real, real thin.

This is purposefully nonsensical.

You were offended by my post and didn't agree with the point I was making. You then decided to discredit what I said by making the claim that all my posts are somehow obtuse or confusing.

Be that as it may, it still doesn't change the fact that demeaning certain aspects of these boards while being passionate about others is hypocritical.

I'm not offended.

At all.

But if you are going to come at me in such a pussified way, don't expect it to go unrequited. That level of passive-aggressive pusstivity has to be addressed.

There is a big difference between saying "You shouldn't collect junk" and saying "a thread dedicated to junk swapping, with tasty side dishes of butthurt and prima donna antics is stupid." Anyone that can't see the difference is also stupid.

What the PIF is missing, is very simple:

Common Sense

I understand that not everyone has good stuff to offer up, but if the spirit is to "pay it forward" then maybe you need to hold off before continually grabbing piles of expensive goodies. hm

If I have a pile of ratty junk, and someone posts a NM set of Gerber Photojournals, I would certainly not ask for them, simply because I would feel like a jerk offering up a pile of as my "Pay if Forward". That would not be paying it forward, it's junk disposal.

Others would look at a pile of expensive freebees, and immediately take them, and list options a) a VG run of Team America or b) another stack of , without batting an eyelash - these people either lack common sense or ethics, and don't see this as being selfish.

Then finally someone takes the VG Team America books just to get the thread going, whereby the same guy who took the Photojournals immediately jumps back in and grabs a nice CGC book, whereby he relists his exact same previous offerings.

That's really not what PIF is about, and it can quickly devolve into trading junk for someone else's gold.

So what we have basically is two sets of thoughts/people in the PIF thread.

1. It's free books for free books, who cares if it expensive freebies and then a stack of free crapola is put up in return. It's free books for free books and it's all that matters - after all we should not dicuss value in the PIF thread.

2. I understand that not everyone has good stuff to offer up, but if the spirit is to "pay it forward" then maybe you need to hold off before continually grabbing piles of expensive goodies.

Also, Pay It Forward means two different things to the groups.

1. Pay It Forward means just put up something free.

2. Pay It Forward is defined by outside the PIF thread (the rest of the world)where a Pay it Forward is at equal in terms of value - or at least try to.

The two groups are never going to agree. I have trouble with the attitude that it means just putting up something free. Others have trouble with the attitude that there should be any notion of value.

Group #1 has no problem if a person from Group #2 takes their worthless freebies and posts an AF 15 in return.

Group #2 has a problem if a person from Group #1 takes their AF 15 and posts their worthless freebies in return.

Two different views on what constitutes Pay It Forward.

You are right.

You were offended by my post and didn't agree with the point I was making. You then decided to discredit what I said by making the claim that all my posts are somehow obtuse or confusing.

Be that as it may, it still doesn't change the fact that demeaning certain aspects of these boards while being passionate about others is hypocritical.

I'm not offended.

At all.

But if you are going to come at me in such a pussified way, don't expect it to go unrequited. That level of passive-aggressive pusstivity has to be addressed.

There is a big difference between saying "You shouldn't collect junk" and saying "a thread dedicated to junk swapping, with tasty side dishes of butthurt and prima donna antics is stupid." Anyone that can't see the difference is also stupid.

You're confusing civility with pusstivity, so let me give this a whirl.

Grown men swooning over other grown men signing their comic books is no more pathetic than a thread in which other grown men trade what you consider to be junk. I've yet to see more "butthurt and prima Donna antics" in almost any nook and cranny of these boards than the things that go on in the SS forum.

You and the few sycophants get pleasure from degrading the actions of certain members because on these boards you perceive yourself to be superior. You are absolutely more clever than most which affords you the ability to pass judgement with little to no blowback for fear of what I don't know.

You attack my posting in general because you don't like what I said. You were offended and it's ok to say it. It doesn't make you a .

The other thing is maybe to have people explain their PIF's. e.g. "This trade paperback covers one of my favorite runs of XXXXX and is some of XXXXX's earliest work in the business." or "This book is all about the comic book implosion of the '90's and has great insights from Joe Quesada and an in depth look at Warner Brother's purchase of DC." I think some of the PIF's would go much quicker if people knew why they should be interested in them. Of course this is assuming that people are offering up what they think is a good item.

thunsicker's opinion should carry a lot of weight. He is one of the great ones on this thread, thank you again.

You are right.

I'm not offended.

At all.

Grown men swooning over other grown men signing their comic books is no more pathetic than a thread in which other grown men trade what you consider to be junk. I've yet to see more "butthurt and prima Donna antics" in almost any nook and cranny of these boards than the things that go on in the SS forum.

You and the few sycophants get pleasure from degrading the actions of certain members because on these boards you perceive yourself to be superior. You are absolutely more clever than most which affords you the ability to pass judgement with little to no blowback for fear of what I don't know.

You attack my posting in general because you don't like what I said. You were offended and it's ok to say it. It doesn't make you a .

Your posts have the substance of a popcorn fart. And you fail to address the gravamen of the issue

"There is a big difference between saying "You shouldn't collect junk" and saying "a thread dedicated to junk swapping, with tasty side dishes of butthurt and prima donna antics is stupid." Anyone that can't see the difference is also stupid."

There is an obvious problem with the PIF, as identified by many, many others with more tact and grace than I.

As an aside - anyone that really wants to pay it forward - donate some comics to a children's hospital, a homeless shelter or a library. Make sure they are age appropriate, and you'll never have any problems.

Otherwise, carry on fine junk donkeys!

You are right.

I'm not offended.

At all.

Your posts have the substance of a popcorn fart. And you fail to address the gravamen of the issue

"There is a big difference between saying "You shouldn't collect junk" and saying "a thread dedicated to junk swapping, with tasty side dishes of butthurt and prima donna antics is stupid." Anyone that can't see the difference is also stupid."

There is an obvious problem with the PIF, as identified by many, many others with more tact and grace than I.

As an aside - anyone that really wants to pay it forward - donate some comics to a children's hospital, a homeless shelter or a library. Make sure they are age appropriate, and you'll never have any problems.

Otherwise, carry on fine junk donkeys!

I'll go back to pusstivity and say I'll agree to disagree. My posts have at least if not more substance than a popcorn fart.

Agree to disagree it is.

Also, if anyone has been pursuing, as their collecting focus, a burning desire to collect whatever junk someone posts in the PIF thread, then I apologize to you for mocking your collecting focus.

You are right.

I'm not offended.

At all.

Is this like when you got all agro a while back in the PIF thread?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7250903#Post7250903

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7256155#Post7256155

You are right.

I'm not offended.

At all.

Is this like when you got all agro a while back in the PIF thread?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7250903#Post7250903

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7256155#Post7256155

I was defending you clown. You got steamrolled and handed over your rightfully claimed prize.

I was upset at the way that situation was handled and how has the thread done since then?

My issues with Sean don't involve you and if you want to put on your big boy pants at least choose a situation where I wasn't trying to help you to make me look like a bad guy. (Thumbs u

I was defending you clown. You got steamrolled and handed over your rightfully claimed prize.

I was upset at the way that situation was handled and how has the thread done since then?

My issues with Sean don't involve you and if you want to put on your big boy pants at least choose a situation where I wasn't trying to help you to make me look like a bad guy. (Thumbs u

My bad. I didn't realize you were trying to defend me. You took your ball and went home so quickly, like a 'big boy', that I wasn't sure.

And I thought that this was the PIF DISCUSSION Thread, not the Mike & Sean BSD challenge. Fixed that for ya. (thumbs u