• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you slab a Neal Adams book or not? X-Men #58 1st Havok

32 posts in this topic

My wife and one of my best friends now refer to my LCS as the geek/nerd store. They jsut dont understand do they? Also, how cool is this, but i was playing golf in a 2 man captains choice tourny yesterday (well i was trying to play golf). My partner hits one of my clubs and i tell him that "with the exception of my wife and comics, everything I have is for sale", one of the other guys looks at me and says "you collect comics?". Now ive got a new person in my area who collects that I can talk to about comics. acclaim.gifcloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

My wife says the same thing about the "people" who frequent my LCS as well as myself. It didn't bother me when I was a kid and it doesn't bother me now. That's great that you met another adult who is into comics. I have to admit that most of the people at my LCS are geeks, but every newbie I convert is another notch for comicdom. wink.gif

I can think of no reason to slab any comic unless you're selling it. BTW, if both right hand corners have creases along with what looks like two color breaking spine stress' and the round lower left corner I don't think CGC would grade that better then 8 - 8.5.

Here's one reason to slab it! sumo.gif It grades higher than 8.5 in it's sleep! insane.gif

hi.gif

Good luck with that. Let us know the grade when you get it back. thumbsup2.gif

OG,

Made the call; got the grade: X-Men #58 Univ. Blue Label 9.0 Off-White Pages

acclaim.gifcloud9.gifacclaim.gif

I can think of no reason to slab any comic unless you're selling it. BTW, if both right hand corners have creases along with what looks like two color breaking spine stress' and the round lower left corner I don't think CGC would grade that better then 8 - 8.5.

Here's one reason to slab it! sumo.gif It grades higher than 8.5 in it's sleep! insane.gif

hi.gif

Good luck with that. Let us know the grade when you get it back. thumbsup2.gif

OG,

Made the call; got the grade: X-Men #58 Univ. Blue Label 9.0 Off-White Pages

acclaim.gifcloud9.gifacclaim.gif

thumbsup2.gifyay.gif That was my guess! It's a very pretty book. Congrats, David! 893applaud-thumb.gif

coming fulll circle to your initial post in this thread:

do you feel better now? or worse?

Better (as in validated)

Worse (as in the book has been gone for over a month)

Better (when I get that puppy back)

Worse (when I can't read it anymore)

Better (when I get silly money for it on eBay)

27_laughing.gifinsane.gifcloud9.gif

coming fulll circle to your initial post in this thread:

do you feel better now? or worse?

Better (as in validated)

Worse (as in the book has been gone for over a month)

Better (when I get that puppy back)

Worse (when I can't read it anymore)

Better (when I get silly money for it on eBay)

27_laughing.gifinsane.gifcloud9.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

well, it was DEFINITELY better than that TOS #40.............. grin.gif

I just saw it at lunch today. It's a really pretty copy in person. The scan does not do it justice.

Maybe David needs a new scanner... every book he puts up looks 1/2 to 1 full grade lower than what he ends up getting from CGC ...! poke2.gif

Question: with books like this one, what's the cut-off in terms of slabbing? If it had come back an 8.5, or an 8.0, would it still have been "worth it" from a resale standpoint? I realize the answer varies based on many things, but in terms of late SA Marvels, is 9.0 high enough to realize a 'premium' (above guide) in most cases?

Maybe David needs a new scanner... every book he puts up looks 1/2 to 1 full grade lower than what he ends up getting from CGC ...! poke2.gif

Question: with books like this one, what's the cut-off in terms of slabbing? If it had come back an 8.5, or an 8.0, would it still have been "worth it" from a resale standpoint? I realize the answer varies based on many things, but in terms of late SA Marvels, is 9.0 high enough to realize a 'premium' (above guide) in most cases?

GG,

Actually my scanner produces some of the most accurate scans I've seen without any of the obvious color and brightness enhancements that cheaper ones produce. flowerred.gif

As to the 2nd question, for SA books, I think anything 8.0 or better is worth a premium for key issues, 9.0 or better for non-keys, 9.4 or better for "silly money". 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

As to the 2nd question, for SA books, I think anything 8.0 or better is worth a premium for key issues, 9.0 or better for non-keys, 9.4 or better for "silly money". 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

seems about right to me................and not-surprisingly, HOT key issues will bring premiums over guide in just about all grades.........(FF's are and will be a good example thru to next summer.)