• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got a new question at the post office this morning...

44 posts in this topic

More and more, I find myself using the Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelopes. I stuff it with enough newsprint and cardboard to make it an unbending brick. The envelopes don't go through the same process as boxes. They get put into a separate bin instead. It would take a purposeful effort to damage it. Say, like wedging it on it's side between the ground and tire of the mailtruck.... and then driving over it. If the USPS starts doing that, I'm out of ideas for shipping safely.

+1

I am way more apt to send something in an envelope than a box - unless it's requested. I can make an envelope unbendable, but I can't make a box uncrushable unless I use $9 worth of Foamcore.

+ or - 1

I used 4 pieces of cardboard (2 on each side) to protect 2 comics and put it in a flat rate envelope (per the buyers request.) It was a brick. Upon dropping it off, the postal employee said 'hey, this thing has no bend to it, just so you know, this may end up with the boxes since it will not be able to be processed by an envelope sorting machine.'

I usually ship boxed (double boxed for slabs or any raw over $50) and have had good luck with both the brick envelope and boxes.

Marking something fragile is only encouragement in my opinion. Pack so it doesnt get damaged fragile means nothing to them.

Yes, marking "Fragile" does nothing to help your package. I had a clerk told me that marking "Fragile" just means they will toss it underhanded instead of overhanded. He meant it as a joke. Then, right in front of me, simply tossed the box underhanded on the pile several feet away from him.

I do put it on the box to show the buyer I'm doing all I can to insure the package arrives safe and sound besides packing very tightly of course.

I shipped two packages at the post office today. No one asked me about a 70 pound weight resistance.

It may be a regional or individual thing. I had never been asked before, which is why I wanted to see if anyone else had this experience. I'll be mailing more stuff later this week, so I'm curious to see if I get asked again (especially if I go to a different PO or get a different employee).

I shipped two packages at the post office today. No one asked me about a 70 pound weight resistance.

It may be a regional or individual thing. I had never been asked before, which is why I wanted to see if anyone else had this experience. I'll be mailing more stuff later this week, so I'm curious to see if I get asked again (especially if I go to a different PO or get a different employee).

It probably depends on whether the worker is a nihilist or not.

I got asked today at the post office on how much rain we got, I said I don't have a rain gauge.

Nothing unusual, although they ask most people if they want to ship express mail when they walk up to the counter. They also push insurance and delivery confirmation services, anything to rake in extra money.

70 lbs is the weight limit for USPS. Same for most of the other carriers although they have overweight exceptions.

Everyone should assume that their boxes bounce around other 70 lb packages over belts, down chutes, into bins, etc. all the time. If your packaging won't hold up to that, don't send it and don't expect insurance to pay out when it is crushed by another box.

USPS Priority Flat Rate allows for up to 70 pounds in the box, which is why the rate is higher than $10. So I can see why the 70 pounds concern.

Things are changing at the Post Office.

F'r instance...

I think I've mentioned this before, but I have it from a reliable source (an old USPS co-worker of mine) that more and more experienced, career employees (carriers, clerks, etc.) who have been with the Postal Service for 20+ years are taking an early out if they can manage it, and that the replacement workforce is no great shakes, and is getting worse. These are healthy, seasoned 40-50-something veteran workers who would likely have stayed on the job much longer, but who--for a variety of reasons--have decide to pack it in.

Example: my old carrier retired very recently. Our daily mail used to arrive by noon or so; now I'm lucky if it arrives by 5:00pm. Within the past two months, I've received 6 pieces of mail which were addressed to someone else...which is precisely 6 more pieces of mis-delivered mail than I've received at this address within the past several years (or more). I've also recently had one slabbed book damaged in transit, and several other boxes mangled but with no damage to the contents.

Not good...

Marking something fragile is only encouragement in my opinion. Pack so it doesnt get damaged fragile means nothing to them.

My brother worked for UPS when he was in college. He told me boxes marked "fragile" were kicked harder than the other boxes.

I do not believe that is the norm.

I've switched to Fedex Ground after being a loyal USPS customer for 20 years. The last straw was when a customer's rather large cashier's check went missing after it was sent with Express Mail (the post office's most expensive service). It caused a huge headache for my customer as his bank wouldn't cancel the check until at least 90 days after it was issued. My customer is left with five figures of his money in limbo for 2+ months, because that's when it finally arrived...yep, nearly 10 weeks after it was sent.

Damaged boxes, unmet shipping deadlines, ever increasing rates. No thanks. Fedex is everything USPS isn't: efficient, fast, and accountable.

I've switched to Fedex Ground after being a loyal USPS customer for 20 years. The last straw was when a customer's rather large cashier's check went missing after it was sent with Express Mail (the post office's most expensive service). It caused a huge headache for my customer as his bank wouldn't cancel the check until at least 90 days after it was issued. My customer is left with five figures of his money in limbo for 2+ months, because that's when it finally arrived...yep, nearly 10 weeks after it was sent.

Damaged boxes, unmet shipping deadlines, ever increasing rates. No thanks. Fedex is everything USPS isn't: efficient, fast, and accountable.

I'm a huge fan of Fed Ex - especially their ground service.

I'm a huge fan of Fed Ex - especially their ground service.

I may need to check them out for shipping. I've received plenty of shipments via FedEx, but have rarely used them to send shipments out.