• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What were your favorite GA Comic Book advertisements?
2 2

83 posts in this topic

While going back through the comics in my collection, I remembered

just how much I enjoyed reading the advertisements...actually looking

forward to them, especially the ones with offers. Here are a few of

my favorites I just ran across.

9682216374_3f6b8c4dfb.jpg

9681815756_9131123c28.jpg

9681829280_5d605fedae.jpg

mm

The first on is interesting to me because of the political incorrectness: "Be the master, not the slave."

The 2nd one (or one very similar) was on the back of a Super Duck I used to own. I thought it was interesting that you could buy fountain pen ink in 12 different colors in the old days.

The third one I've never owned, but I think it's cool. It's on the back of More Fun 97 and probably others.

(I also like the Wheaties ad that shows some masks that you can cut out from the backs of Wheaties boxes. I'm not sure what books it's on, but I know I've seen it quite a few times. I'd consider going after a book with that ad just for the ad!)

140975.jpg.caccdc8fcc35b8453865bc2363038de0.jpg

140976.jpg.a10da95345419c21fad43e09d39f08dc.jpg

140977.jpg.d0d438661c530f2b735c27091047fcf7.jpg

So Marty, did you send away for any of this stuff?

As a Silver Age brat, I sent away for the Revolutionary War soldier set, and the Vick Lawston magic catalog. I wanted the kid-sized submarine, but no luck on that one! :)

I find this letter published from the Secretary of the US Treasury to be an interesting ad.

image_zpsc9c2459f.jpg

I also love the early fiction house backs that sold a variety of things. It was kind of like visiting a dime store with all their cool items within view at one time. I especially wish I could buy the submarine near the center of the page. This one is from Planet Comics 10.

image_zps64f0adbf.jpg

So Marty, did you send away for any of this stuff?

As a Silver Age brat, I sent away for the Revolutionary War soldier set, and the Vick Lawston magic catalog. I wanted the kid-sized submarine, but no luck on that one! :)

Yes, I remember sending away for the DAISY HANDBOOK and I did get a couple of

the COMIC BUTTONS from my PEP CEREAL and I did send away for a CAPTAIN

MARVEL "Nifty Gob-Style" HAT (see ad below) plus the FREE "dandy CAPTAIN

MARVEL Pencil Holder"...but you should keep in mind that 25 cents in the '40's

was a lot of money to a kid...so while I wanted to send for everything, I just couldn't.

9708801489_9ab80ef24a.jpg

mm

For me, the favorite has to be any of the Kooba Cola(with Vitamin B1) ads that appeared for years in Fox comics. What magnificent nuttiness to use dozens(perhaps hundreds) of valuable ad pages to push a product that doesn't exist. Even as the company is going down the tubes(perhaps due to the low quality art which was all he could afford), Victor is still printing lists of prizes that can be redeemed for sending imaginary bottle caps.

Such insanity should and must be applauded.

when did sea monkeys come about? or was that a bronze age offer?

I seem to remember them...I'll see if I can locate the ad.

Here's a couple more favorites.

9689310898_d6e848a03e.jpg

(From ALL-AMERICAN COMICS #91)

9686009563_3fc953faa8.jpg

(From ALL-AMERICAN WESTERN #106)

mm

This has probably come up here before, but one or two pics of the infamous "Polaris Nuclear Sub" from the Silver Age have surfaced in recent years.

submariner.jpg

I always thought the DC house ads were the best in the business. And could make an otherwise boring book pretty interesting.

The Harvey ads were fun too with all the little covers going around the page.

One of my favorite DC House Ads.

8917789208_f3a5626ae4.jpg

(From ADVENTURE COMICS #137)

And here's one from MLJ with a new ARCHIE Logo.

9299890521_fde7704f56.jpg

(From SUPER DUCK COMICS #6)

mm

Edited by Marty Mann