• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

double covers

21 posts in this topic

what are all your general thoughts on getting double cover books graded if the are not high grade or keys-I have started to collect them and have a few and know they are super rare so kinda want to get them slabbed but don't know if its worth it if they are just mid grade books with nothing special about them other then the fact that they are super rare double covers-don't plan on selling them but I think these oddities are rarities are undervalued

your thoughts/input would be appreciated!

SUPER rare may not be accurate, unless dealing with older books. I believe the board member Cosmic-Spider-Man has a very sizeable collection.

There's a thread dedicated to double covers.

LINK

My own opinion? I don't submit them unless they're high grade, but if I had one from the 50's or earlier in 6.0-8.0 I might. 2c

thanks guys

I have

superman 82 in G+ condition

star trek (gold key) 57-in VF+ condition

and

tec 344 in VG- condition

you all gave me something to think about, but I think I still might go ahead and grade them

I thought they were really rare and highly sought after-I guess its just a bad read by me on the market, but I think they are really cool so I wil continue to pick them up when able

I think they are generally pretty rare. Slabbing-wise, it will depend on the issue, and especially the grade of the inner cover. CGC gives the overall grade to the higher grade cover, which is often the inner cover. So, if the outer cover is a 8.0, but the inner cover is a 9.2, CGC will grade the book as a 9.2.

When slabbing, buyers may focus on the double cover, or focus on the grade with the double cover being a bonus.

I just found a double cover Doom Patrol 121, but would not get it slabbed since both covers are around 6.0 to 7.0, which I think isn't high enough to justify the slabbing cost.

I think they are generally pretty rare. Slabbing-wise, it will depend on the issue, and especially the grade of the inner cover. CGC gives the overall grade to the higher grade cover, which is often the inner cover. So, if the outer cover is a 8.0, but the inner cover is a 9.2, CGC will grade the book as a 9.2.

This is incorrect. Link to explanation.

Thanks for the info! Makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the info! Makes perfect sense.

(thumbs u

I had never owned a book with multiple covers until I got this one recently:

PlanetComics48front_zpsec2cc50f.jpg

PlanetComics48doublecoverfrontA2_zps210f067d.jpg

0b512ada-c641-4510-bb26-190d8822c24d_zps66651556.jpg

I likely won't get it slabbed because I plan to keep it. If I was planning to sell it I would definitely get it slabbed. To me slabbing is for 2 things: resto check and selling the book.

I love double covers, though I haven't bought any new comics lately (just TPBs and HCs) so my collection hasn't been growing.

If you are looking for a particular title or issue with a double cover (or triple+ covers) you will have a very hard time, but double covers in general area available. I mean there are only so many Hulk 180 double covers in existence :)