• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1

118 posts in this topic

first public appearance of sub-mariner :cloud9:
:gossip: mpfw 1

MPFW #1 is an interesting historical artifact, but there hasn't been any evidence that it was distributed to the public.

Marvel #1 would be an awesome book if it had featured The Fiery Mask and the Whizzer instead of Torch and Subby, as it is the corner stone of 75 years of Marvel history.

i had read years ago that various copies had been distributed to select movie theatres in the Boston area in 1938

IIRC the "evidence" for that is a decades later memory of seeing the book by a former theater manager or employee, and if true would as likely indicate distribution of samples to theaters as much as to the public at large. Where did the single copy not part of the Jacquet estate come from?

I never really understood why this book seems to have stalled in relation to Action 1 and Detective 27. There is a certain rawness about it compared to the others but it is the original book of the Marvel universe from which all things spring.

I assume its day in the sun will come again?

not likely. At least not to the success of action/detective. In fact marvel has already had its "day in the sun", And that was probably its last (though never say never). There is "nothing" going for the book that would drive new demand, short of a submariner movie (highly unlikely if you believe marvel studios and what characters they want to produce on the big screen). It's a historically great book, but nothing flashy to make the "new kids" think it is cool :cry:

My guess is that owners of MC #1 are waiting for the book to upswing before they part with their copies. Otherwise, they'd probably take a loss on it.

I made a very nice profit when I sold mine last year.

I never really understood why this book seems to have stalled in relation to Action 1 and Detective 27. There is a certain rawness about it compared to the others but it is the original book of the Marvel universe from which all things spring.

not likely. At least not to the success of action/detective. In fact marvel has already had its "day in the sun", And that was probably its last (though never say never). There is "nothing" going for the book that would drive new demand, short of a submariner movie (highly unlikely if you believe marvel studios and what characters they want to produce on the big screen). It's a historically great book, but nothing flashy to make the "new kids" think it is cool :cry:

Hey Rick,

Do you think it will stabilize in price or go down over the next 10 years? I personally love Marvel Comics 1, although I have never owned a copy but would love to some day. :wishluck:

Agreed. Marvel 1 is an ultra classic book without question, importance included, but its gone as far as it will go.

Though I do not fully agree with the following statement, I've been hearing collectors recently say that Marvel 1 is turning into a Tec 1. While I see that point sorta, while the Sub-Mariner and Human Torch are falling off the radar, they are still historical.

Hey Rick,

Do you think it will stabilize in price or go down over the next 10 years? I personally love Marvel Comics 1, although I have never owned a copy but would love to some day. :wishluck:

The book has been fairly stable for some time. It will continue to have demand , just (IMO) not a huge increase in demand to warrant huge price upswing

Hey Rick,

The book has been fairly stable for some time. It will continue to have demand , just (IMO) not a huge increase in demand to warrant huge price upswing

So is the key Golden Age Marvel; Captain America #1? This seems to have it all; an iconic archetype character, great cover, classic artists. In other words if I could buy a copy of one or the other for the same coin the long term play would be the Cap? Just wondering what other Marvels would be in this league if not Marvel 1?

Hey Rick,

So is the key Golden Age Marvel; Captain America #1? This seems to have it all; an iconic archetype character, great cover, classic artists. In other words if I could buy a copy of one or the other for the same coin the long term play would be the Cap? Just wondering what other Marvels would be in this league if not Marvel 1?

grade for grade my experience is cap 1 will out perform marvel 1 these days...

Sooner or later it will be perceived that Marvel Comics #1 is a great value when compared to the other "big keys" and the price will surge upward... kind of like how Whiz Comics #1 has been dead for 15-20 years and only now has the price been driven upward due to it's relative low value.

It will be interesting to see how the next copy does on the market. I remember a few years ago when the first Action 1 came to market in a while at comicconnect- the 6.0 copy. It definitely opened the doors to a steep rise in price for subsequent copies of Action 1. Marvel Comics 1 is a great comic, though. There is one panel in the Submariner story where a sailor is smoking a cigarette- I always liked that particular panel- the whole story looks great. I will have to scan a reprint and post it.

I don't know Rick I think a Sub-Mariner [or perhaps an Invaders movie set in WWII setting] would be just a matter of time after a couple more Spidey, Avengers movies are done. Also, imagine if Veryzl ever had his copy graded or if the Pay Copy traded hands again for big bucks, something like that could stir up interest in the issue.

:hi:

MARVEL1NEW.jpg

This is an amazing copy DK! Nice and bright and affordable (relatively). :applause:

How long have you owned it for?

Thanks Ryan! I've had this book for around 9 months now. I loved the colors on my copy and how you can visibly see the month of Oct. in the black circle. Also the offwhite pages are pretty neat as well.

I think Timely is spot on with his observations on this book. I also believe that while Action 1, Tec 27, Supes 1, Bat 1, Cap 1, etc. have all taken off in price, this book will surely peak interest for those who want a nice key book at a discounted price compared to the other keys I've mentioned. Whiz #1 is a prime example of that. I can see this book hike up in price in the neat future as well. Not only that, but I frequently see more of the "bigger" books for sale than a Marvel 1 lately.

I don't know Rick I think a Sub-Mariner [or perhaps an Invaders movie set in WWII setting] would be just a matter of time after a couple more Spidey, Avengers movies are done. Also, imagine if Veryzl ever had his copy graded or if the Pay Copy traded hands again for big bucks, something like that could stir up interest in the issue.

nah...marvel 1's day in the spotlight is done...will still experience demand and probably many copies will still appreciate but I doubt we will see any explosion (again, just my opinion)