• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinite Modern Horror Thread

160 posts in this topic

On to the Olde West next for this pic. This anthology title is spinning some really nice horror tales with only one ongoing stotyline (watch out for the Pig-arm!!!). I am just not crazy about the self promotion blurbs on the cover of this issue! "Wizard Indie Buzz Book" c'monnn!

683614-WesternTalesOfTerror%232.jpg

Jay, you're not alone! My problem is on the pic post end as they all come out so dang small!

Anyway, I met the guys doing this title at Mid-Ohio, very cool people! thumbsup2.gif

I'll have to give WToT a 2nd look - how does it compare to the Lansdale /Truman stuff like Jonah Hex and Dead in the West?

Jayman - is that Hellboy cover edition of Drawing on your Nightmares hard to find?

Here's a modern ( or should it be copper) horror cover I like - forgive me if it's been posted before.

684298-gig.jpg

684298-gig.jpg.383590f2e9709e3e571b972cd4b22cac.jpg

On to the Olde West next for this pic. This anthology title is spinning some really nice horror tales with only one ongoing stotyline (watch out for the Pig-arm!!!). I am just not crazy about the self promotion blurbs on the cover of this issue! "Wizard Indie Buzz Book" c'monnn!

Jay, you're not alone! My problem is on the pic post end as they all come out so dang small!

Anyway, I met the guys doing this title at Mid-Ohio, very cool people! thumbsup2.gif

Hey Keith you can still contribute with just verbage or opinions! Show the love for modern horror y'all! laugh.gif

In issues 1 and 2 they state that they are asking for story submissions for the book which I think is a neat idea. Somebody might get lucky and see their story in print, how cool is that?

I'll have to give WToT a 2nd look - how does it compare to the Lansdale /Truman stuff like Jonah Hex and Dead in the West?

Jayman - is that Hellboy cover edition of Drawing on your Nightmares hard to find?

Here's a modern ( or should it be copper) horror cover I like - forgive me if it's been posted before.

rjpb,

WToT is a b/w anthology book with not bad art but "it's no Tim Truman". I usually give a title I like about 3-4 issues before I make up my mind about adding it to my pull list. As I said so far I am liking it as I've missed having a horror, albeit western horror anthology book for some time. Regarding The Hellboy Retailer edition, I don't have the numbers on the print run but I have seen a couple on ebay for around $15-$25 bucks. My LCS had a copy while not NM it still is a cool cover!

Is it true that Dr. Giggles was a movie? confused-smiley-013.gif

rjpb,

WToT is a b/w anthology book with not bad art but "it's no Tim Truman". I usually give a title I like about 3-4 issues before I make up my mind about adding it to my pull list. As I said so far I am liking it as I've missed having a horror, albeit western horror anthology book for some time. Regarding The Hellboy Retailer edition, I don't have the numbers on the print run but I have seen a couple on ebay for around $15-$25 bucks. My LCS had a copy while not NM it still is a cool cover!

Is it true that Dr. Giggles was a movie? confused-smiley-013.gif

I like the idea of western horror, but WToT didn't grab me when I saw it at my LCS - I'll give it another look. As for the retailer edition of Nightmares - I guess I won't bother looking unless I stumble on a cheap copy - I'm a Hellboy fan, but I don't buy everything his image is plastered on.

Whoooo...I just had ta grab this off the wall when I saw it! Pretty neat, huh?

Ashes # 1 published by Damage. Very cool and attention getting with no words or title on the cover.

Interesting story and pretty nice art on the inside too! thumbsup2.gif

709778-Ashes%231.jpg

589a8d3a1f8ed_709778-Ashes1.jpg.dd0a2e3d0f065828bd8711b801dddbca.jpg

This is a new book by Richard Corben, Steve Niles and Rob Zombie, just out this week. I didn't pick it up because I only had a few bucks on me this morning, but it looked pretty sweet if you're into Bigfoot. Or Corben. His art always cracked me up because he's got that "cute" gene like Crumb, but draws these horrific things. This one had some gore in it, and a bit of nudity, so it's not for everyone. But it wouldn't be horror otherwise.

You might expect to see a bunch of IDW titles here and you would be right as it seems they are almost single handedly putting out horror titles. But there are others...

813868-Karney%231.jpg

589a8d3a2981c_813868-Karney1.jpg.d017d8158ecb4dbe899c0e96b50acc1a.jpg

Here is something I just fell into. As my job just relocated to Red Bank, New Jersey, I have moved also and now find my new LCS is Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash. My first trip in on Wednesday and I see this variant said to be exclusive to their shop only. A Kelly Jones cover...what's not to like! cloud9.gif

813875-Karney%231%28SecretStashVariant%29.jpg

589a8d3a2c96a_813875-Karney1(SecretStashVariant).jpg.8b9742fafb7e144938175abb4d24f812.jpg

This is a hard cover put out by Image and Desperado that reprints the Wrightson story Freak Show along with other stories. I believe FS was originally serialized in Heavy Metal Mag? Not sure.

813880-FreakShowHC.jpg

I post this book after IDW's Karney to show that both stories are starting in a similar fashion as shown by the first splashes...

Freak Show

813880-FreakShowHCSplash.jpg

Karney

813880-KarneySplash.jpg

813880-KarneySplash.jpg.eb2e81e1c874f3da897ccacf87f8fa2b.jpg

Also want to mention that the above HC Freak Show contains the Wrightson story "Out on a Limb" which was the story to be featured in the cancelled Web of Horror # 4 whose cover was reprinted on the back of the Scream Door # 1 Fanzine.

Don't know if this is the first time this story has ever been published or not but is nice to finally read! 893applaud-thumb.gif

813900-FreakShowHCOoaLSplash.jpg

813900-FreakShowHCOoaLSplash.jpg.61c83d92a22cc6dc077c568140d500f4.jpg

I'm feelin' like a Supernatural Freak Machine! insane.gif

Kelly Jones cover but Cal McDonald ROCKS!

I highly recommend any of this characters stories. He's like Kolchak with an attitude...a very bad attitude!

Niles does a good job with him!

813907-SupernaturalFreakMachine%231.jpg

589a8d3a371a6_813907-SupernaturalFreakMachine1.jpg.697e2ad9d9c848362a0502f29beda3ed.jpg

Mnemovore...huh? Mnemovore. Oh like "Quoth the Raven...Mnemovore? insane.gif

A Vertigo book this time with a very Lovecraftian cover and a story that is proving interesting.

813911-Mnemovore%231.jpg

589a8d3a39b7c_813911-Mnemovore1.jpg.059acb71fdf6c19f10a124e72ac7afbf.jpg

Lastly, but how cool is this! Deadworld back and with Vince Locke!

Now I gotta dig out my Copper issues...remember those? Some had 2 covers, the gory version and the wussy version! devil.gif

813918-Deadworld%28new%29%231.jpg

Well, I hope this thread doesn't get burried too deep again! Show your love for Modern Horror y'all! sumo.gif

589a8d3a40aba_813918-Deadworld(new)1.jpg.860a77f9f97f64305941a081f3cd4ed9.jpg

Also want to mention that the above HC Freak Show contains the Wrightson story "Out on a Limb" which was the story to be featured in the cancelled Web of Horror # 4 whose cover was reprinted on the back of the Scream Door # 1 Fanzine.

Don't know if this is the first time this story has ever been published or not but is nice to finally read! 893applaud-thumb.gif

813900-FreakShowHCOoaLSplash.jpg

It's reprinted in Reaper of Love as well. gossip.gif Great book, I would suggest picking it up. cloud9.gif

I'm feelin' like a Supernatural Freak Machine! insane.gif

Kelly Jones cover but Cal McDonald ROCKS!

I highly recommend any of this characters stories. He's like Kolchak with an attitude...a very bad attitude!

Niles does a good job with him!

813907-SupernaturalFreakMachine%231.jpg

Dammit! I was hoping to be the first to mention this comic.

I read it on Sunday. It's not really gone anywhere story-wise yet, but the art is terrific. I didn't notice that it was $3.99 til I got home and logged my purchases into my spreadsheet. That's a LITTLE pricy but I'll pick up the next few issues to where the story goes.

What did everyone else think of the series so far?

Lastly, but how cool is this! Deadworld back and with Vince Locke!

Now I gotta dig out my Copper issues...remember those? Some had 2 covers, the gory version and the wussy version! devil.gif

813918-Deadworld%28new%29%231.jpg

Well, I hope this thread doesn't get burried too deep again! Show your love for Modern Horror y'all! sumo.gif

I actually have been trying to track down all of the old copper "gory" versions. Some of those covers are absolutely awesome! When I get a chance, I'll post some of the cooler ones, in all of their flesh-eating glory!

I think I have all of the non-wussy covers except for the first three issues. Anyone have an duplicates of those (please don't yell at me for not putting this in the marketplace) flowerred.gif

Also, I picked up the new Deadworld #1 from image too, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Any good? I'm very excited to crack that puppy open!!!