• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinite Modern Horror Thread

160 posts in this topic

At this point I have nothing to post here but there HAVE to be some modern horror collectors out there. I know Keith is a prime example!

So pardon my creating a topic without something to post but I think it is a worthy thing if you all have collect them. Hey! I'll probably start on them too once I get some nicce glimpses!

And homage to Sterling - love that "Infiinite" title!

POV, Modern horror 'aint no Bronze horror but there is still lots of cool stuff out there. It gets pretty violent (Faust) at times as well as gothic (The Crow) but there is also some traditional horror as well along with the stylish horror that became so popular during the 80s and 90s. Don't forget about the Innovation Anne Rice books, the late 80'/early 90s Ghost Rider, DC's Wasteland and more. Too late to scan and post now but I'll get around to some of my favorite Modern horror covers later. I'm thinking Batman's Arkham Asylum graphic novel would be considered horror as well. THAT was a cool book. Also, what about Vampirella/Vamperotica/Lady Death etc.? Would that be considered cheesecake horror? ------Sid

IDW is where it's at.

I must respectfully disagree. I'm entirely unimpressed with Steve Niles. His stories tend to have an amazing build-up... and then nothing. They all seem to just fall flat. Beyond that, his characters are more wooden than teenagers in a titty bar.

(I'm basing all this on having read "30 Days of Night", "Return to Barrow", and "Remains". If there's more out there by him that is better than those three, let me know and I'll check 'em out.)

At this point I have nothing to post here but there HAVE to be some modern horror collectors out there. I know Keith is a prime example!

So pardon my creating a topic without something to post but I think it is a worthy thing if you all have collect them. Hey! I'll probably start on them too once I get some nicce glimpses!

And homage to Sterling - love that "Infiinite" title!

This could get very interesting... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

IDW is where it's at.

I must respectfully disagree. I'm entirely unimpressed with Steve Niles. His stories tend to have an amazing build-up... and then nothing. They all seem to just fall flat. Beyond that, his characters are more wooden than teenagers in a titty bar.

(I'm basing all this on having read "30 Days of Night", "Return to Barrow", and "Remains". If there's more out there by him that is better than those three, let me know and I'll check 'em out.)

I'll give you Remains (although I still mostly like that), but I've enjoyed (without much reservation) the whole the "30 Days..." franchise. I also liked his Aleister Arcane

Beyond Niles, I loved the work they did with the Silent Hill license (and am enjoying Singularity 7 so far.)

Not sure if these qualify as modern any longer, but when I think of horror I automatically think of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing stories, and in particular his "American Gothic" storyline.

Hellblazer had some moments of brilliance in it's first year under Jamie Delano with occasional flashes later in the run by Ennis, Ellis, Azzarello and so on.

Preacher had some pretty horrific moments in it - mostly in dealing with Jesse Custer's family history (shudder), but also with the Saint of Killers and Jesse's irish vampire pal.

Miracleman 15 was certainly horrific.

While these are sci-fi stories first, some of Dark Horse's Aliens books reflect the horror roots of the original movie.

And then how can one forget the best modern action/horror book: Hellboy. Mignola goes to great lengths to ground his stories in the myths and legends of the world and then he sends in his big red ape to take 'em all down.

Here are a couple of modern horror comics you don't see every day....with sweet Mignola covers to boot. Too bad the mini series never got finished, these are the only 2 issues of it.....

10-06-2004105940PM.jpg

10-06-2004110129PM.jpg