• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well, I got suckered on this Detective #31...

162 posts in this topic

Looks like Roy's old copy at one point

Yep, and I know who he sold it to(I knew that table in the pics looked familiar!), and I now know the eBay handle of the person that bought it there in November of 2011. I've just messaged him through eBay to see if he/she still owns the book.

that table looks like Bill's (goldenacase) up in Canada...

How would you have known it was a high jacked Ebay account?

Another reason I stick to low value buys on Ebay.

First I noticed that some of the seller's feedback referred to the seller as a she, while the first name of the person who received my Paypal payment was Vincent. Then, for the heck of it, I Googled the title of the listing, and came up with the web page detailing the 2011 eBay sale, using the same pics as the listing last week.

In truth, I wouldn't have known for sure before hitting the BIN and paying. Some would say it was obvious looking at the seller's history, but I've actually had luck with a few listings over the last few years that most people stayed away from, but turned out to be genuine. For example, a guy who sold nothing but auto parts suddenly lists a gorgeous high grade Golden Age comic, and turned out to be the real deal.

Looks like Roy's old copy at one point

Yep, and I know who he sold it to(I knew that table in the pics looked familiar!), and I now know the eBay handle of the person that bought it there in November of 2011. I've just messaged him through eBay to see if he/she still owns the book.

that table looks like Bill's (goldenacase) up in Canada...

(thumbs u

First I noticed that some of the seller's feedback referred to the seller as a she, while the first name of the person who received my Paypal payment was Vincent. Then, for the heck of it, I Googled the title of the listing, and came up with the web page detailing the 2011 eBay sale, using the same pics as the listing last week.

In truth, I wouldn't have known for sure before hitting the BIN and paying. Some would say it was obvious looking at the seller's history, but I've actually had luck with a few listings over the last few years that most people stayed away from, but turned out to be genuine. For example, a guy who sold nothing but auto parts suddenly lists a gorgeous high grade Golden Age comic, and turned out to be the real deal.

There was that movie called Victor Victoria; but not Vincent Vincenza!

Anyway, sorry you got taken by this; hopefully the Paypal guarantee will work as it is supposed to in this case. For the life of me I can't figure out why it so hard to track this stuff down one a known transgression has occurred. Probably way too many fraudulent transactions.

There was that movie called Victor Victoria; but not Vincent Vincenza!

Anyway, sorry you got taken by this; hopefully the Paypal guarantee will work as it is supposed to in this case. For the life of me I can't figure out why it so hard to track this stuff down one a known transgression has occurred. Probably way too many fraudulent transactions.

It shouldn't be difficult. eBay bought Paypal. The auction ends and you click on a link that says PAY NOW. How can it not be a red flag when the owner of the eBay account is different than the owner of the Paypal account?

Long verbage of notes on that label...

Glue and tape.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this Jeff.

Here is a picture of Bill's table to compare.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=311620&Number=6984180#Post6984180

I'm sure if you paid by credit card you already contacted them and you will be OK...but I have another question...but weren't you the leader of the anti tape campaign? I almost want to say that seeing tape on the label after your well meaning thread, should have been a sign, but I'm sure you feel bad already and I don't want to rub it in; :foryou:

I'm really confused now....how could a trimmed centerfold get into a blue label holder?

Was it purple before? Is that what is being said? If so, and the centerfold was trimmed, we not only have an eBay tragedy, we have another mystery grading problem.

Glue and tape.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=311620&Number=6984180#Post6984180

I'm sure if you paid by credit card you already contacted them and you will be OK...but I have another question...but weren't you the leader of the anti tape campaign? I almost want to say that seeing tape on the label after your well meaning thread, should have been a sign, but I'm sure you feel bad already and I don't want to rub it in; :foryou:

I'm really confused now....how could a trimmed centerfold get into a blue label holder?

Was it purple before? Is that what is being said? If so, and the centerfold was trimmed, we not only have an eBay tragedy, we have another mystery grading problem.

The BIN price was a bargain. THAT'S what should have been a sign, in glaring neon. My intention was to quickly flip the book, not to keep it for my own collection.

I can't speak of the centerfold, as I had no knowledge of the book before it popped up on eBay while I was eating my Raisin Bran Crunch Friday morning.

Glue and tape.

The BIN price was a bargain. THAT'S what should have been a sign, in glaring neon. My intention was to quickly flip the book, not to keep it for my own collection.

I can't speak of the centerfold, as I had no knowledge of the book before it popped up on eBay while I was eating my Raisin Bran Crunch Friday morning.

:sorry: I figured that was why... I shouldn't have teased you...you just changed my entire viewpoint on taping, so I couldn't help myself and it's late here, so I was probably less restrained than I should have been.. :foryou:

It is curious about that centerfold though.

A few weeks ago I went to bid on a high dollar book and a messege popped up stating

Please note that PayPal (and some credit card companies) generally will not process payments in excess of a certain dollar amount. If the winning bid amount is above this level, it may be necessary to contact the seller to arrange other payment methods. This is not something the seller has direct control over, so please keep this in mind when providing feedback.

A few weeks ago I went to bid on a high dollar book and a messege popped up stating

Please note that PayPal (and some credit card companies) generally will not process payments in excess of a certain dollar amount. If the winning bid amount is above this level, it may be necessary to contact the seller to arrange other payment methods. This is not something the seller has direct control over, so please keep this in mind when providing feedback.

I got that message, too, but Paypal did process my payment for this transaction. I wonder why they don't just spell out what the magic number is that they won't exceed?

I got that message, too, but Paypal did process my payment for this transaction. I wonder why they don't just spell out what the magic number is that they won't exceed?

This kept me from bidding on the book I was seeking.

I'm guessing 10K I received 3 of these for an expensive lot of books. Paypal wouldn't allow the sum in one payment. Paypal limited my account. Even after they talked to the buyer and I over the phone, I still had to prove ownership.

I'm terribly sorry about your experience with this transaction.

As a cautionary note, it has been my practice that if I'm buying a book that is outside my $ comfort zone, I make contact with the seller first.

Something that bugs me is why don't more sellers adversities their telephone numbers and invite questions from prospective buyers? I've been an ebay seller since 01/99 and I put my telephone number in every listing. I get probably 25-30% off ebay sales that way.

The listing had red flag written all over it. . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETECTIVE-COMICS-31-CGC-3-0-PRE-ROBIN-DETECTIVE-UNRESTORED-/300960744801?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4612a88561&nma=true&si=QARxxUhVi90FWMVBb6oUVnm23lk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Jeff, I tried a reverse image search, I don't have time this morning to try other combinations, but maybe you could fool around and find more with this site.

http://www.tineye.com/search/4a9ab62018733d937e4c9d7f36245ac7812a09af/?pluginver=chrome-1.1.3

Jeff, I tried a reverse image search, I don't have time this morning to try other combinations, but maybe you could fool around and find more with this site.

http://www.tineye.com/search/4a9ab62018733d937e4c9d7f36245ac7812a09af/?pluginver=chrome-1.1.3

Thanks, Sharon, but I know that the images are Bill's, and were swiped from the 2011 eBay listing where he sold it.