• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Playboy Magazines... are they worth anything past the 1st 10?

44 posts in this topic

The Bettie Page issue is a Christmas issue within the first few years and is second in value to only #1.

There is an issue from the late 1960's with a Glibert Shelton "Feds 'n Heads" game bound in. If un-use sells well to the underground folks.

So........ Presently you inherited a bunch of smut? #1 is the only one worth any money.

Other early issues in exceptionally nice shape are probably worth some money too. You see them in Heritage auctions occasionally.

Not sure about "smut." 1950's Playboys seem kind of quaint to me.

I was kidding,guess I wasn't quite funny enough. :sorry:

I think a lot of older folks bought these collected them even back in the day. So they didn't get mishandled like kiddie comics.

Yep, just like comics from 1989-on.

Presently, I have just inherited my 86-year young cousin's 50-year complete Playboy magazines. There are also some binder issues. These start in the 1950's. I have touched base with Southerby's auction in London to no avail; they do not auction Playboy. Each issue has the appearance of just "coming off the press" so-to-speak. I have attempted to locate a collector for purchasing or a manner in which to sell these, and of course ran into some scams... don't want to go there again.

Any assistance in price estimate, collector, etc. would be benefit me greatly. I am elderly and would appreciate in handling this in any manner.

Catherine

Go to ebay and search in Magazine under Playboy. Then sort from High to Low prices. Finally select Sold Listings. That can give you a better feel. Some books do go for a premium (mainly the 50s ones). For example, the Bettie Page has been selling in higher grade in the $300-500 range.

Dec 68 is tough to find with a centerfold still intact. Cynthia Meyers was hanging in every locker in Nam.

Holy Toledo! :cloud9:

I met Ms. Myers twice. She set up at the MotorCity ComicCon back in the late nineties.

Here I was looking for comics and I run into the most astounding Playmate of them all. A real sweetie. Sadly she is no longer with us.

Dec 68 is tough to find with a centerfold still intact. Cynthia Meyers was hanging in every locker in Nam.

I met Ms. Myers twice. She set up at the MotorCity ComicCon back in the late nineties.

Here I was looking for comics and I run into the most astounding Playmate of them all. A real sweetie. Sadly she is no longer with us.

Sad to hear she had passed. Not to make light but it seems unlikely that drowning was the cause.

Catherine:

Did you ever sell your Playboys? If not, what exactly do you have?

Be well,

Robert

Given that her only post (made three times) was nearly a year ago, my guess is your chance of contacting her through the boards is pretty small. Most likely she will have sold the books by now anyway.

Catherine:

Did you ever sell your Playboys? If not, what exactly do you have?

Be well,

Robert

Given that her only post (made three times) was nearly a year ago, my guess is your chance of contacting her through the boards is pretty small. Most likely she will have sold the books by now anyway.

I seem to vaguely remember an issue from the 60's..... height of Batmania, that had a real nice Vargas Batgirl pin-up or something..... it used to go for a few bucks.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It would still be neat to have one..... I'm also a big Betty fan..... so one of her issues would also be welcome in the house. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... the recent Betty Page movie was :cloud9:

Sad to hear she had passed. Not to make light but it seems unlikely that drowning was the cause.

Unfortunately it was lung cancer. She was in a few films. She was the drummer in Russ Meyer's Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, written by esteemed film critic Roger Ebert. Although not a great actress, her incredible proportions are quite on display. And the movie is a hoot.