• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade deduction for numbers written on the back cover?

11 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So I know CGC doesn't grade against date stamps or receiving numbers, but would there be a grade reduction for a book with the number '75' written in pencil on the Back cover?

The book wasn't released on May 7th or July 5th, so all I can think of is that it's either a stores # or a revised price.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Hello all,

So I know CGC doesn't grade against date stamps or receiving numbers, but would there be a grade reduction for a book with the number '75' written in pencil on the Back cover?

The book wasn't released on May 7th or July 5th, so all I can think of is that it's either a stores # or a revised price.

Scan?

If it's discrete and unobtrusive, it has no effect on the grade, especially on the back cover.

But what if is a wrap around cover? It's one thing to have markings near an ad that is not associated with the content of the comic, but another to mess up part of the actual comic art - they must factor that in, right?

Hello all,

Scan?

I'm at work, I'll scan it in the morning (thumbs u

My guess is no.

I'm thinking yes if they interpret it as a dealer having marked a price of 75 cents -- as many dealers used to in ye olden days. If the book is mid-grade or below, then maybe there is no downgrade. But a high-grade book with writing that isn't an arrival date has to get a downgrade, no?

My guess is no.

I'm thinking yes if they interpret it as a dealer having marked a price of 75 cents -- as many dealers used to in ye olden days. If the book is mid-grade or below, then maybe there is no downgrade. But a high-grade book with writing that isn't an arrival date has to get a downgrade, no?

What about Mie High books?

My guess is no.

What about Mie High books?

I think specific characteristics -like light pencil writing (Mile High, Allentown, Larson, Gaines etc), stamps (Crowley file copies, Northford, Rockford, San Francisco etc) and other marks- that define a book to be part of a certain pedigree are excluded from grading.