• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #52

188 posts in this topic

My 2c

So it doesn't matter if you're a mega-FF-fan, collector for an objective view. I sold in the last month my 52 9.0 to nearmint here on the boards for $1100. GPA high was $1093 at the time and remains today. This was a cash/hand-off sale so you could argue the book went for $1200 as no fees were incurred.

Whatever.

I bought the book for about $250 a few years ago...the extenuating circumstance in my case is I have virtually no inventory and discussed with my wife to sell a couple of books to pay for my this month's dental bill (having a lot of work)...am sad :cry: I no longer own that particular book but my thoughts are as follows...

For me this is a hype bubble...I'll rolled the dice...make 4-500% on the book and buy it back in the fairly near future...also just picked up here on the boards a #17 9.0 for less than that and believe me, that is a far rarer book in grade and far more valuable book than I think 52 will ever be...

Summarily, I love #52 and will re-acquire...in the short term people should make all the dough they can off their speculative copies...I believe this book will come back down to earth in the not too distant future...

What got away...

FANTASTICFOUR52CGC90OWW_zps17cd7b1b.jpg

It is a nice book.

However,times they are a changing.

Black Panther is on a par with Hawkeye imho in the Marvel Universe - a TOS #57 in a 7.0 is going for $800 and change - and that's AFTER the 1st film he is in has been released.

2016 is far away, there is a lot more growth in this book.

A lot more.

2c

No offense to andy but I saw the same hype with the modern books you hoarded like Bedlam, Uber, RDPD, Bodie Troll. I guess now that the money is flowing out of modern, you are doing the same in silver. It is normal for one to market the books he wants to sell but hearing it too many times can be off putting.

My 2 cents

I still highly rate Bedlam, and cannot speak highly enough about Uber (have not even started selling yet)- I still buy and support both those books.

Bodie Troll - I started a 3 page thread, and only ordered 5, none of which have come back to me yet.

RIPD was a total bust. All 4 copies.

Money is still in moderns - If you can't find it, that's your problem.

I like FF #52 - I have bought some. Big Deal.

You obviously don't venture into SA much because I can tell you that my opinion will not matter a jot to these guys, most of whom have bigger and better collections than I can dream of.

I still highly rate Bedlam, and cannot speak highly enough about Uber (have not even started selling yet)- I still buy and support both those books.

Bodie Troll - I started a 3 page thread, and only ordered 5, none of which have come back to me yet.

You obviously don't venture into SA much because I can tell you that my opinion will not matter a jot to these guys, most of whom have bigger and better collections than I can dream of.

Yes,yes we do............ :cool:

Yes,yes we do............ :cool:

lol:applause:

I always thought FF52 was one of the most grossly undervalued keys, but never got around to getting anything more than my 8.0-ish (raw) copy I've had for years. It's not grossly undervalued anymore. I just paid through the nose for a 9.2 but didn't mind because I was dealing with someone I trust and like and have no intention of flipping the book any time soon unless it does something crazy and doubles again (which it won't).

I think Black Panther's first appearance is more important than Silver Surfer's, though the story in FF 48-50 is vastly more important than anything that happens in 52. And Galactus + Silver Surfer makes 48 a bigger key. But the first black super-hero (and one who has lasted nearly 50 years) in a mainstream American comic should be considered a major key, even if it's not a particularly uncommon one.

If Marvel ever really cares to, they can easily make BP one of their core superstar characters both in the books and on-screen. And I think they will. If that happens, maybe the book still has modest room to run, but it's just not rare enough to really go crazy. As it is, I think it can maintain the recent price gain or at least only give back a little bit.

I think the run up is silly. No official announcement, and black panther is lame/too esoteric.

No offense, but I think your relatively young age (I seem to recall you are young) has its weight in play here. (thumbs u

Taste aside, the Black Panther is a staple character, and very imaginative for that matters. I actually always preferred FF #52-53 to the Galactus stories.

And also the Inhumans and the whole Kree-related run (which starts with the Sandman and Blastaar and culminates with the birth of Warlock).

"Esoteric" maybe, if I get what you were trying to express, but surely not "lame", by any means.

Of course, the run up can still be silly. I am just talking about the quality of the stories.

I think the run up is silly. No official announcement, and black panther is lame/too esoteric.

No offense, but I think your relatively young age (I seem to recall you are young) has its weight in play here. (thumbs u

Taste aside, the Black Panther is a staple character, and very imaginative for that matters. I actually always preferred FF #52-53 to the Galactus stories.

And also the Inhumans and the whole Kree-related run (which starts with the Sandman and Blastaar and culminates with the birth of Warlock).

"Esoteric" maybe, if I get what you were trying to express, but surely not "lame", by any means.

Of course, the run up can still be silly. I am just talking about the quality of the stories.

Lame probably was a poor choice of words.

Besides the ad hominem attack I am not sure I get your point.

my point is, the market is very short sighted at the moment. Lots of books are running up to high prices without what I would call sustainable fundamentals. FF52 seems to be one of those books.

My problems with it:

1) Character is not well known. (esoteric)

2) Good story telling does not a million dollar book make. I read FF 51 yesterday, it was excellent. But that books does not command a price comparable to 48 and 49.

3) There has been no official announcement of a movie/tv series.

4) The progressive/landmark nature of the character as an early african Americana hero is not something I see having a big impact on price.

I can see points 1 and 3 changing with a single announcement and a good movie so I could easily be wrong. But at the moment the outlook is doubtful.

What is a "ad hominem attack"? :D

I agree with you saying that «the market is very short sighted at the moment. Lots of books are running up to high prices without what I would call sustainable fundamentals».

It’s just that the Black Panther is different, as the character deserves it.

I always speak about the quality of a story. I never look at comics merely by a "collector's" angle, since I consider this kind of looking something which gets in the way of effective appreciation of the artistic and moral content of stories.

For me this is a hype bubble...I'll rolled the dice...make 4-500% on the book and buy it back in the fairly near future...also just picked up here on the boards a #17 9.0 for less than that and believe me, that is a far rarer book in grade and far more valuable book than I think 52 will ever be...

Summarily, I love #52 and will re-acquire...in the short term people should make all the dough they can off their speculative copies...I believe this book will come back down to earth in the not too distant future...

Well, I am not strictly questioning that: maybe it’s an hype bubble, but these hype bubbles has changed the way people shop, and that’s why I am talking of quality.

As much subjectivity there may be in the enjoyment of certain characters and stories, it’s undeniable that the Panther is a relevant character which did get little attention.

As The-Collector wrote, there are relevant stories which probably will never gather collecting attention, but I don’t care: I still treasure Thomas and Colan Dr. Strange, Steve Gerber books and consider some of them among the best things Marvel ever produced.

Popularity due to movie frenzy can have good side-effects but honestly these movies have little to nothing to do with the original works. (shrug)

I saw the thread I felt my price was @ FMV

Another 7.5 sold yesterday for only $359 on ebay. bringing it to a total of four 7.5's now selling in the past 60days between $359-$480.

So i'd say your 5.5 price was fair, if not even a little higher than average which is good news for you.

359??? You are slipping Beige. How can you let one so cheap slip through your fingers??? Could have had 11 copies. doh! If a 7.0 will be 1300 in a year....imagine what a 7.5 will bring. :idea:

Who said I didn't buy it? Maybe you are right, and I should get another 10. hm

And he bought that one too.....wooooo hoooooooo Cornering the market!!! Everyone who wants one will have to form a line and come up with three times GPA and pluck it down at your feet. All hail Black Panther!

I know you're only trying to help by playing Devils advocate, but I think you might be on to something here.

Maybe having a big 'hoard' could be the way to go hm

How many do you think I should aim for?

Every copy you see. Go big or go home. Make Cal with his IMSM comic look like nothing. :popcorn:

Nice!

Gpa for a 9.2 has been smashed! Last 3 sales all $1700+ and this little gem is looking to smash that:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-52-CGC-9-2-RARE-BEAUTY-FIRST-BLACK-PANTHER-/121176337440?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c36ac2c20

The GPA 8.0 is also about to be pushed close to a record high as well:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fantastic-Four-52-cgc-8-0-ow-w-pgs-1st-Black-Panther-HOT-STUNNING-1-5-48-pgx-/290979121733?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item43bfb50a45

Multiple bids on all ebay auctions, and for the first time, reserves are being set.

I'm not sure if this book has even started to find its upper limit tbh.