• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Sad to hear some of the reviews, was hoping it was going to be great (although sort of thought it might not be). I had booked tickets a month ago for a showing tomorrow and will go see it, but not expecting much.

Hard to beat the Christian Nolan films, IMO.

indiewire.com

“More problematically, even on a comic-book movie level there is no credible sense of danger like there is in the “Batman’’ movies directed by Christopher Nolan (who takes a producing credit this time). The demolition of an iconic landmark carries no more weight here than in “Independence Day.’’ Part of this is due to Affleck, who tries hard to project weary gravitas like his immediate successor Christian Bale as an older Batman, but too often comes off like a self-loathing Oscar-winning writer-director cashing a big paycheck.”

hm He never won Best Director. I'm not sure if he was even nominated. Ever. Even though Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo are top-notch movies.

indiewire.com

“More problematically, even on a comic-book movie level there is no credible sense of danger like there is in the “Batman’’ movies directed by Christopher Nolan (who takes a producing credit this time). The demolition of an iconic landmark carries no more weight here than in “Independence Day.’’ Part of this is due to Affleck, who tries hard to project weary gravitas like his immediate successor Christian Bale as an older Batman, but too often comes off like a self-loathing Oscar-winning writer-director cashing a big paycheck.”

hm He never won Best Director. I'm not sure if he was even nominated. Ever. Even though Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo are top-notch movies.

If giving them the benefit of the doubt I think they are just saying he is an Oscar winning writer-director. Meaning he is a writer-director, that has won Academy Awards.

That said, while Best Picture is a producer award, he did direct a winner though won as a producer. As a director I'm sure he'd have liked to have been nominated but I do think Best Picture is regarded as the most prestigous of the Oscar night, especially if you are the Director who also produced the movie IMHO. I think this year with Revenant winning a bunch, it did feel odd that Spotlight grabbed the big award, and one would have thought Iñárritu would have pulled off another double like the year before.

I haven't seen the movie so I'm trying not to comment on it but yeah, I agree Terrio was a guy who many were reporting as having cleaned up this -script and did Justice League, and it sounds like maybe not well enough, but I guess I will wait and see. Personally I know I was looking forward to it, because I've had about my full of Goyer.

I think this year with Revenant winning a bunch, it did feel odd that Spotlight grabbed the big award, and one would have thought Iñárritu would have pulled off another double like the year before.
I felt like I was the only one seeing Spotlight winning Best Picture. I thought McCarthy really directed a riveting masterpiece and was surprised to see Iñárritu up there again. The only other movie that could have took The Revenant and Spotlight was Brooklyn. Nothing against The Revenant (I'm somebody that spends an unusual amount of time around bears myself lol ), but I just couldn't bring myself to catch it. I'm sure its a great movie and I'll see it eventually. It was actually nice talking to someone about decent movies in this thread. (thumbs u

Have a hard time thinking Affleck is worse than Clooney. That was a wretched -script but Clooney looked dazed & lost the whole time.

Good point. If I was he, I would've been drunk the whole time.

Just saw the flick. I think everyone knows the spoilers already.....

Having said that, my biggest complaint about the movie is that there wasn't anything surprising or new. If you saw the trailers, you saw the movie.

I didn't really catch any easter eggs per se....but came away from the movie thinking that I'd be alot more satisfied if I had never seen a trailer.

They leaked too much stuff too early.

I didn't hate the movie, but I couldn't love what I've already seen a billion times in the trailers, which are essentially the cliff notes for the flick.

Whoever stated (maybe it was Snyder) that there was alot more in store was flat out lying.

Yes, the fight scenes were expanded. Yes there was more dialogue....but it was entirely fluff that I could have done without.

I'm looking eagerly forward to a Justice League film....but this movie seems like a placeholder and an advertisement for it.

Just saw the flick. I think everyone knows the spoilers already.....

Having said that, my biggest complaint about the movie is that there wasn't anything surprising or new. If you saw the trailers, you saw the movie.

I didn't really catch any easter eggs per se....but came away from the movie thinking that I'd be alot more satisfied if I had never seen a trailer.

They leaked too much stuff too early.

I didn't hate the movie, but I couldn't love what I've already seen a billion times in the trailers, which are essentially the cliff notes for the flick.

Whoever stated (maybe it was Snyder) that there was alot more in store was flat out lying.

Yes, the fight scenes were expanded. Yes there was more dialogue....but it was entirely fluff that I could have done without.

I'm looking eagerly forward to a Justice League film....but this movie seems like a placeholder and an advertisement for it.

Just got back from seeing it as well and I agree with you 100%. They absolutely showed too much in the trailer. Overall I enjoyed the film. It's no where near the top of my list but I think the low 30s rating on Rotten is a garbage number.

Edited by bentbryan

I didn't hate it but didn't love it, I wish the BvS fight scenes were longer, It was too talky for most people I think. Really wasn't any kind of tension in this movie. Tried to cram a lot in and I think people's expectations on this were through the roof, Wonder woman looked great though.

I didn't hate it but didn't love it, I wish the BvS fight scenes were longer, It was too talky for most people I think. Really wasn't any kind of tension in this movie. Tried to cram a lot in and I think people's expectations on this were through the roof, Wonder woman looked great though.

Tickets purchased!

I look forward to seeing it but the movie is catching serious heat. Post said they may scrap some of their plans or at least remove Snyder potentially. All speculation but heads will roll. Think wb prepared for this. Comicbookresources said they had stats early on that it may not do well. Hope you all enjoy.

ok, just got back from seeing the movie with my 12 yr old son, and I expected the worst from everything I've heard leading up to the release, however, we both loved it, I really can't understand the bad reviews, the only thing I think might warrant them would be the different plot points, characters, DC story history stuff going on. the film is not a linear one, it does tend to shoot off into different directions, but not in a distracting way at all at least I felt.

want to see it again before the theatrical run is over.

for comparison sake, I really didn't care for "Man of Steel" movie, but feel this one is a major step up.

Edited by thedude

Taking my son to go see it tonight, I will give an opinion later, but I am optimistic.

Love to hear how your son feels about it, a lot of people are saying it will bore kids for a good portion of the movie. My niece wants to go just for Cavil tho.

Just got back. My son really enjoyed it, I enjoyed it as well. There are some parts that didnt work as well as I would have liked and I did find the music score to be dissonant at times and a bit overly intrusive. An earlier comment that this Batman was the Punisher and I think that is a fair description. This Batman is brutal...and I liked it. The comments about Wonder Woman stealing the show, I think so, it was just a joy to watch her in action. Her screen time as Diana Prince worked equally as well in my opinion. I can chime in with more after we are past spoiler season.

I would absolutely recommend it if you are on the fence. Its a real comic book movie.

I just saw it, it wasn't as bad as a lot of people have said but it wasn't great either. Definitely wasn't Green Lantern bad.

The audience was actually clapping at the end which was surprising to me

Really didn't care for Lex

The audience was actually clapping at the end which was surprising to me

the audience I was with clapped as well at the end, can't remember the last time that happened, uh, Gladiator maybe? I dunno.

Edited by thedude