• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

'You owe this planet nothing, Clark.'

How wonderful.

Yeah, it's not like he was RAISED here on this planet....lol. Good job Martha....way to inspire gratitude.

lol

I'm sure saving the planet went some way to repaying his debt to the human race... ;)

'You owe this planet nothing, Clark.'

How wonderful.

Yeah, it's not like he was RAISED here on this planet....lol. Good job Martha....way to inspire gratitude.

lol

I'm sure saving the planet went some way to repaying his debt to the human race... ;)

lol, I agree....but he kinda has to get involved with any continued threats to said home.

What kinda d-bag is Supes if he doesn't lift a finger when alien threats come rolling in?

And FTR, upon greater reflection.....Affleck wasn't the WORST thing about this movie.

He performed adequately. I do think Supes got short-changed....he had very little dialogue, very little interaction and overall had a very small role in spite of the fact he was a headliner.

They shoulda killed luthor along with mercy graves....then at least we won't have to worry about him heading up the Legion of Doom in future installments.

While I understand the angle taken by Supe's father in raising Superman in Man of Steel probably aligns more to a realistic person and father, I always felt kind of bummed out about it because with the change of times I felt like it would make them even better for raising him to be a little idealic in a harsher "more grey" time.

In other words I'd probably tell him the same, but I like the idea of the Kents being better people than me :roflmao: and part of what makes Superman, the alien, great(er) is that he ended up in their hands, and not the jaded everyone elses of the world.

I did like moms in Man of Steel though. Some of the best scenes are her and young Clark IMHO. I was shocked because that's not Snyder or Goyer's MO.

In other words I'd probably tell him the same, but I like the idea of the Kents being better people than me :roflmao: and part of what make Superman, the alien, great is that he ended up in their hands, and not the jaded everyone elses of the world.

lol

+1 (thumbs u

They shoulda killed luthor along with mercy graves....then at least we won't have to worry about him heading up the Legion of Doom in future installments.

Poor Mercy :(

The problem I had when watching Superman and Superman II was I quite liked Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor (that'll get me some stick :shy: ). You have to hand it to Eisenberg. He certainly makes it easy to hate the villain :grin:

Yes, love Affleck in here. I don't get the criticism of him, I buy Batman completely.

Can't wait to see him pop up in the next movie.

So if Ben Affleck as Batman was cool and everyone liked Wonder Woman,than the consensus is Superman is the one out of place. Maybe he doesn't fit in with modern audiences anymore?

Heck even Tarzan got people in interested with the new trailer.

Some female friend I was with yesterday said Tarzan looks cool in the trailer, while Superman looked out of place in the movie we watched yesterday!

Yes, love Affleck in here. I don't get the criticism of him, I buy Batman completely.

So if Ben Affleck as Batman was cool and everyone liked Wonder Woman,than the consensus is Superman is the one out of place. Maybe he doesn't fit in with modern audiences anymore?

Some female friend I was with yesterday said Tarzan looks cool in the trailer, while Superman looked out of place in the movie we watched yesterday!

:o

I liked Supes in the movie... it wouldn't be the same without him. Batman and Wonder Woman without Superman? We all know where that's headed... ;)

No I just think there might not be a worst fit that I can think off (IMHO) for a director of a Superman type character than Zack Snyder.

I actually really like Cavil, the characters (minus Luthor), and I like them all almost despite the dialogue and the story they are in. For me they are going uphill here and more or less made it not terrible, which is a credit to them because this is a poorly edited, sounding, and written film IMHO. I'm not one of these cinephile geeks so for me to notice the sound quality of something is unusual (last time I did it was the digital version of Winter Soldier via amazon which was mixed so bad that I found out what sound mixing was lol)

I actually think the cast brought it, and I even think Eisenberg tried too, but I just think this Snyder perhaps fits for me elsewhere, but it almost feels like they turned the DC universe into a place that fits Snyder, instead of bringing directors who are interested in the characters themselves. That's why 300 and Watchmen are watchable films IMHO because it pretty much fits. And look, if this was some kind of DKR one-shot (because badass batman is good here), I get Snyder for that movie (though someone like Aronofsky would be better IMHO) but as a DC universe table setter? I have to admit I'm still not used to it. I'm just not buying it, which is fine there are other movies, and other DC movies coming up.

Tarzan looks good, Jungle Book looks better than all of them IMHO. Can't wait for that.

I just got back from a packed showing. I went an hour early with friends to make sure we could get decent seats. This gave me a chance to talk with the theater manager, who I had met when Deadpool came out. He let me know the 7:30 was completely sold out (regular and 3-D), and the next show only had 9 seats left in a 200 seat theater.

Where some had an audience that sat in silence at in the end left just as quiet, the folks around me were very engaged in this movie. Which only added to the energy during the action sequences.

- Wonder Woman brought loud applause when she finally showed up in costume. And I loved that theme they played when she appeared.

- Batman definitely brought some yells from the crowd, people were so pleased with Affleck's performance.

When Batman appears hidden on the ceiling in the room with the human trafficker he just tortured, some kids in the audience screamed when he jumped out.

- Eisenberg played a very eccentric and maniacal Luthor with some serious daddy issues.

When he talked about his father beating on him, even then I couldn't feel bad for him. There was something so evil about him, you just felt like one way or another he would have ended up the way he was.

- Doomsday was just all-powerful.

The destruction is massive. Especially when he starts fighting the expanded World's Finest.

- The end result of the fight left the audience quiet as could be. Until a few kids in the audience pretended to cry, and someone told them to cut it out.

Clark's funeral procession and then burial where the music sounded like a heartbeat - and then you saw the dirt on his coffin lifting up...

:whee:

I think I get what Snyder was trying to do, in piecing together everyone's history leading up to that moment where they all had to depend on one another in the end. And I liked it. Sure, it did feel choppy at times. But it felt like the movie 'Crash' from 2004 for heroes, in that you had multiple stories going on that interweave into the final big event. It probably could have been edited a little better to make it smoothly cut from story to story.

Overall score: 8.5/10

So if you, I and many other people enjoyed this movie than why the hate by the critics?

you can add me to the list because i just got back from the third showing and going back tonight for a 4th time.

Why do BA & ZS think Miller's angry take on superheroes from the 80's is relevant to today's audience? Passe, depressed, angsty Gen-Xers.

Real life is not a Disney movie. Eventually that Disney audience will grow up and reject the fantasy that was sold to them.

Snyder and company might be ahead of the curve when we look back on it.

lol

My entire adult life is practically out of Disney movie.

Animal sidekicks, Wiccan princesses, snowed in kingdoms, you name it.

I had to start writing about it in regional papers to better grasp it.

I'm not bashing B v S (because I can't wait to see it), but cynicism and darkness isn't in my neck of the woods. ;)

The problem I had when watching Superman and Superman II was I quite liked Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor (that'll get me some stick :shy: ). You have to hand it to Eisenberg. He certainly makes it easy to hate the villain :grin:

Gene Hackman's "used car salesman" approach was a proper fit for kid's watching it at the time. Just threatening enough. I always thought he was a hoot, playing it to the line of camp, while dressed up looking like the seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy).

Gene Hackman's "used car salesman" approach was a proper fit for kid's watching it at the time. Just threatening enough. I always thought he was a hoot, playing it to the line of camp, while dressed up looking like the seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy).

But did men in there 40s and 50s at the time who grew up reading superman like that gene Hackman lex?

I was hoping for a more tony stark type w less sarcasm

My entire adult life is practically out of Disney movie. Animal sidekicks, Wiccan princesses, snowed in kingdoms, you name it.

You forgot to mention chasing white rabbits, smoking with caterpillars and the copious magic mushroom consumption... ;)

But did men in there 40s and 50s at the time who grew up reading superman like that gene Hackman lex?

I was hoping for a more tony stark type w less sarcasm

Yeah, I was five when I saw it in a reissue at a local shoebox theater, so I really don't know. Although my parents gave me a very Kryptonian first name, they weren't into the universe like one would think. I just always assumed the first Superman was produced for an all-ages family audience at the time and not made to be taken as serious as it was. I watched countless docs on a couple special editions that somewhat confirmed this. Lex's sidekick was practically a clown for kids. Christopher Reeve took the role seriously though, giving those films something the later films failed to recapture (still haven't seen B v S).

"Used car salesman" lol I like it! And he would've made a better Doctor then Sylvester McCoy ;)